Beard And long hair?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

absolutely

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I get the HPSP does that mean that while I am in dental school I have to keep my hair a certain length and not have a beard?

I know we should look professional looking and this would not keep me from doing HPSP, im just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

If I get the HPSP does that mean that while I am in dental school I have to keep my hair a certain length and not have a beard?

I know we should look professional looking and this would not keep me from doing HPSP, im just curious.

While on the HPSP scholarship your appearance is not dictated my military standards and you can pretty much "look" however your school allows.

Not totally correct. If you go to a school where you get the summers off, then you will either go to your branches version of officer training (ODS for the Navy) in the first summer. Other summers doing some sort of internship. During these times you will be on active duty and MUST maintain military standards during those times!

Correct

Members don't see this ad :)
Not totally correct. If you go to a school where you get the summers off, then you will either go to your branches version of officer training (ODS for the Navy) in the first summer. Other summers doing some sort of internship. During these times you will be on active duty and MUST maintain military standards during those times!

What do you mean by "military standards?" do they require real short crew cut like you see military guys in movies??

the ladies looooooooove white walls! and, ironically, men in a white uniform. it may breathe like a black hole, but you will get some numbers...

Do they shave your head at basic training?

And what does "military standards" mean?

Each service has a slightly different standard. This is for the AF.

Hair style will have a tapered appearance on both sides and back, both with and without headgear. A tapered appearance is one that when viewed from any angle outlines the individual’s hair so that it conforms to the shape of the head, curving inward to the natural termination point. Block cut permitted with tapered appearance.
Hair will not be worn in an extreme or fad style or in such a way that exceeds length or bulk standards or violates safety requirements. Will not touch the ears and only closely cut or shaved hair on the back of the neck may touch the collar. Will not exceed 1 1/4 inches in bulk, regardless of length and not exceed 1/4 inch at the natural termination point. Will not contain or have any visible foreign items attached to it.
Sideburns will be neatly trimmed and tapered in the same manner as the haircut. Will be straight and of even width (not flared) and end in a clean-shaven horizontal line. They will not extend below the lowest part of the exterior ear opening. (This does not apply to individuals with shaving waivers.)
Mustaches will not extend downward beyond the lipline of the upper lip or extend sideways beyond a vertical line drawn upward from the corner of the mouth. (This does not apply to individuals with shaving waivers.)

One other thing..... You are supposed to be in military regs for your commissioning ceremony. Some recruiters may not be holding that as the standard, but it is the standard.