Be honest, do I have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulPremed4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am currently a pre-medical student at a very well-respected institution in the Northeast. I am going to be matriculating into my junior year this fall, and I had all plans of applying to medical school (MD) next spring/summer, but I have some significant concerns. I really really want the honest truth about my chances, so here we go:
-Freshman year: Went to a fairly prestigious liberal arts school and finished with a 3.87 cGPA and a sGPA ~3.8. Involved on campus in a few clubs and was initiated into a biological honors society, worked as a part-time nanny for 2 professors. I was a dual-degree (BS Bio/BS Economics).
-Sophomore year: Transferred to my current university (fall 2011). I decided to allow myself to have a social life despite still being a dual-degree and while working. I received C+'s in 2 of my business courses...decided to drop the econ major. I then, for some reason, took 7 courses my spring semester...and again received two C+'s but this time in science courses. I am re-taking 1 over the summer right now along with another course to boost my GPA.

Overall though, my sophomore GPA wound up being a 2.9....a huge drop because of my irresponsibility. I have full intentions of retaking all of those courses (including the business ones). I also have already volunteered in a hospital, worked in a lab, have a leadership position on campus, sorority member, part-time preschool teaching assistant, and stuff from my other school.

Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to include every detail I could. Please please give me honest opinions on my chances. I want to know if I'm wasting my time or not because medical school is something I've always aspired towards, but I just crashed this year academically.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,
I am currently a pre-medical student at a very well-respected institution in the Northeast. I am going to be matriculating into my junior year this fall, and I had all plans of applying to medical school (MD) next spring/summer, but I have some significant concerns. I really really want the honest truth about my chances, so here we go:
-Freshman year: Went to a fairly prestigious liberal arts school and finished with a 3.87 cGPA and a sGPA ~3.8. Involved on campus in a few clubs and was initiated into a biological honors society, worked as a part-time nanny for 2 professors. I was a dual-degree (BS Bio/BS Economics).
-Sophomore year: Transferred to my current university (fall 2011). I decided to allow myself to have a social life despite still being a dual-degree and while working. I received C+'s in 2 of my business courses...decided to drop the econ major. I then, for some reason, took 7 courses my spring semester...and again received two C+'s but this time in science courses. I am re-taking 1 over the summer right now along with another course to boost my GPA.

Overall though, my sophomore GPA wound up being a 2.9....a huge drop because of my irresponsibility. I have full intentions of retaking all of those courses (including the business ones). I also have already volunteered in a hospital, worked in a lab, have a leadership position on campus, sorority member, part-time preschool teaching assistant, and stuff from my other school.

Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to include every detail I could. Please please give me honest opinions on my chances. I want to know if I'm wasting my time or not because medical school is something I've always aspired towards, but I just crashed this year academically.

what is ur overall/scinece gpa now?

I'm not sure of the exact number, but with two C's in there its probably somewhere around a 3.3-3.4, possibly lower. I might be overshooting that a bit.

thats fine. obv still try to bring it up junio yr and study hard for mcats

thats fine. obv still try to bring it up junio yr and study hard for mcats

I've already began studying for the mcats so hopefully I will be able to pull a nice score on it the first-time around. I'm just afraid my sophomore year will raise a lot of red flags because I received a great gpa freshman year and then tanked sophomore year; usually the situation occurs the other way around.

So you're at around 3.3 - 3.4 ish. And you have junior year to really improve your GPA. So if you really work hard and get around a 3.8 or 4.0 then you're looking at a GPA of around 3.6 ish. That should give you a shot at some low tier MD schools provided you get a 30+ on the mcat. If you can score a 32+ then you have a shot at some mid tier schools as well. Worst case scenario seems that you'll have to take a gap year and then work hard during senior year as well and further improve your GPA so you end up with a 3.6 - 3.7. I know someone who graduated magna cum laude after a dismal freshman year (I think she had a 2.9 as well).But she had 5 semesters of a 4.0 after that. So it's definitely doable. And if you score a 35+ on the mcat then you'll make up for ur GPA easily.