BCOM vs. TouroCOM NY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

strugstofunc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I currently hold acceptances at BCOM (Burrell) and TouroCOM NY (Harlem). I was wondering which program to choose as I am not really sure. Touro has a lot of benefits but it is just very expensive compared to Burrell. Looking for any insight and advice!

Members don't see this ad.

@chilly_md I would say approximately 30K difference. I mean this is also considering cost of living as a factor for both schools. So it is not only tuition.

By any chance, do you know what concerns BCOM has had? I have spoken briefly to a few current students but haven't been told of anything alarming.

@chilly_md I would say approximately 30K difference. I mean this is also considering cost of living as a factor for both schools. So it is not only tuition.

By any chance, do you know what concerns BCOM has had? I have spoken briefly to a few current students but haven't been told of anything alarming.
30k over 4 years? Makes sense that housing would make up a lot of that. I personally think the extra 7500 a year is worth it since BCOM has had concerning board pass rates in the past and has had student attrition issues. Better to have peace of mind.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@chilly_md I believe its each year from the last time I looked unfortunately. That's really the only reason I am hesitant to pick it. But I do like that the school is pretty well known compared to BCOM, since it has multiple campuses around the U.S. and has produced a lot of graduates already.

@chilly_md I believe its each year from the last time I looked unfortunately. That's really the only reason I am hesitant to pick it. But I do like that the school is pretty well known compared to BCOM, since it has multiple campuses around the U.S. and has produced a lot of graduates already.
I’m taking a look at what their CoA is:

About 82k first year at BCOM.

About 107k for Touro, so 25k difference the first year. But Touro is factoring more money you can take out for personal expenses. That varies for each person, and BCOM is saying theirs is about 4K less even if it might not be. Not seeing a books and supplies tab for BCOM, which is 3k for Touro. The loan fee isn’t listed either for them. BCOM also is saying it’s $600 less for transportation. Which could be true if you’re on the West coast or in Texas. But there isn’t an airport in Las Cruces I think and it’s probably easier to get flights out of New York.

So BCOM seems to not be the most transparent or accurate about costs.

@chilly_md Gotcha. I was planning on visiting both schools just so I can see their campuses and talk to their faculty and students a bit more. So I will definitely make sure to press them both about their estimated costs. Thank you so much for your help!

No problem! Hope your trips go well. If match data comes out before you have to make a final decision, I’d also take a look at that. You have to do a bit of math, but BCOM has been accepting 162 students each year. They send only about 75%-80% of that to do residency apps, so there’s been students who’ve slipped through the cracks.

Whether that’s due to just needing time off, failing exams, or dropping out, it is a significant amount who unfortunately don’t make it to match or at least have to take longer than 4 years. Which might cost extra.

@chilly_md Sounds good! I will check out both their stats more closely. By any chance, and I'm not sure if you can answer this question, do you know how likely it would be for me to return to CA for residency after going to NY? I just saw that most students match in NY or NJ.

I think good chances since you have a connection to the state. Do well in school to put yourself in a better position. Most people probably match to NY or NJ because they are also from that area. I’d say there’s more Californians who go to BCOM because they want to avoid traveling too far vs the total in Middletown and Harlem combined