BCOM vs KHSC-KansasCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BCOM (Las Cruces) vs. KHSC-KansasCOM

• Total voters

SodaApplePeel

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I currently have acceptances from 3 relatively new schools and wanted some opinions on if I'm making the right choice. The three schools are BCOM, KHSC-KansasCOM and BUCOM.

Even though BUCOM seems great, as they have solid clinical sites (affiliated with the major hospital system) and affiliated residencies, since it will be there inaugural class I've kind of taken it out of the running and am really only deciding between BCOM and KHSC-KansasCOM.

BCOM (Burrell)

Pros​
  • Inaugural class in 2016, so more graduated classes/ match data
  • Familiar with and really enjoy the Las Cruces/ El Paso area
  • Clinical rotations seem very established
Cons​
  • For-profit status
  • High attrition rate in previous classes (low faculty support?)
  • Research opportunities seem weak.

KHSC-KansasCOM

Pros​
  • Faculty seems very supportive, first two classes seem generally very happy
  • Greater research opportunities
  • 10k cheaper
Cons​
  • Inaugural class in 2022, so no graduated class or match history
  • No history with clinical rotations

Summary:

I feel like the obvious choice out of those two is BCOM but I just wanted a second opinion. BCOM seemed to have gotten quite a lot of backlash over the past few years, but they seemed to have resolved many of those and continue to improve.​

Specialty wise, my interests at the moment are radiology and emergency medicine, and would ideally do residency on the east coast.​
I'm a somewhat weaker applicant, and am really grateful to have gotten in anywhere, but advice on which school seems like the best choice would be super helpful!​

@Goro @Faha @chilly_md, you've guided me this far, a little more would be amazing :giggle:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
BCOM has multiple serious deficits, which you have elaborated on.

Hence, even though I am leery of brand new schools, go with Kansas
Their first time COMLEX pass rate for 2023 was 94%, and they are no longer on heightened monitoring. Not sure if that affects the decision here.

Members don't see this ad :)
BCOM has multiple serious deficits, which you have elaborated on.

Hence, even though I am leery of brand new schools, go with Kansas
How do you feel about Rocky Vista University Montana? I am only waitlisted at other schools right now (except I applied and got into University fo Galway 5 year program in Ireland) so dont know if I have alot of options. Any advice appreciated...