Baylor vs. Mayo ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hemoglobin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
One more of the "A versus B"threads. :D
My goal is a competitive fellowship in cardiology. However, I am not so keen to Rochester's size and weather. Could you please point out the pros and cons of both programs and let me know your opinion regarding the ranking of these 2 ?

Thanks a lot in advance! :thumbup:

Hb

Members don't see this ad.

hemoglobin said:
One more of the "A versus B"threads. :D
My goal is a competitive fellowship in cardiology. However, I am not so keen to Rochester's size and weather. Could you please point out the pros and cons of both programs and let me know your opinion regarding the ranking of these 2 ?

Thanks a lot in advance! :thumbup:

Hb

The Texas Medical Center is probably the 2nd best place to train for cardiology according to most people I know who are fellows/residents in the field (after the wonderful Cleveland Clinic... though if you hate cold weather, steer clear of there too). I mean, if you havent experienced anything like Mayo weather, then you might want to spend a few winter days up there before deciding. Houston is hot, dont get me wrong, but its like 70 right now and its winter! No snow here.

The programs themselves are very comprable. Mayo has the name recongition in general, but the TMC is very very well known in the field of cardiology. St. Luke's is one of the top cardiac hospitals in the nation, and a lot of cardiology firsts happened there. St. Luke's is affiliated with Baylor. Hermann is also undergoing a cardiac renaissance of sorts, with tons of new building opening. The vascular institute at Hermann (affiliated with UTH) is top notch.

Honestly, if you are a warm weather person, and you want to do a fellowship after cardiology, the TMC is the place to be (unless you think Cleveland is the bomb in terms of their weather and the city, which I dont think anyone thinks).

Fantasy Sports said:
The Texas Medical Center is probably the 2nd best place to train for cardiology according to most people I know who are fellows/residents in the field (after the wonderful Cleveland Clinic... though if you hate cold weather, steer clear of there too). I mean, if you havent experienced anything like Mayo weather, then you might want to spend a few winter days up there before deciding. Houston is hot, dont get me wrong, but its like 70 right now and its winter! No snow here.

The programs themselves are very comprable. Mayo has the name recongition in general, but the TMC is very very well known in the field of cardiology. St. Luke's is one of the top cardiac hospitals in the nation, and a lot of cardiology firsts happened there. St. Luke's is affiliated with Baylor. Hermann is also undergoing a cardiac renaissance of sorts, with tons of new building opening. The vascular institute at Hermann (affiliated with UTH) is top notch.

Honestly, if you are a warm weather person, and you want to do a fellowship after cardiology, the TMC is the place to be (unless you think Cleveland is the bomb in terms of their weather and the city, which I dont think anyone thinks).

Thanks a lot for your input!!! Well, being born and raised in Rio de Janeiro, I would definitely prefer to live in Texas than Minnesota!!! LOL :D I did a rotation at Mayo last March and *LOVED* the place. But when I went to interview at Baylor I loved the program too - and the city. However, I am not sure if Baylor would be up to Mayo in terms of training, reputation, and cardiology fellowship placement. I am doing a second visit at Baylor soon (call me crazy but I will take a couple of days off from my disneyworld vacation trip to go to Houston again LOL :D ), so I hope I will be able to get a better grasp of the program when I go there again.

Any more inputs?

Thanks! :thumbup:

Hb

Members don't see this ad :)
hemoglobin said:
Thanks a lot for your input!!! Well, being born and raised in Rio de Janeiro, I would definitely prefer to live in Texas than Minnesota!!! LOL :D I did a rotation at Mayo last March and *LOVED* the place. But when I went to interview at Baylor I loved the program too - and the city. However, I am not sure if Baylor would be up to Mayo in terms of training, reputation, and cardiology fellowship placement. I am doing a second visit at Baylor soon (call me crazy but I will take a couple of days off from my disneyworld vacation trip to go to Houston again LOL :D ), so I hope I will be able to get a better grasp of the program when I go there again.

Any more inputs?

Thanks! :thumbup:

Hb
Baylor and the Texas Heart Institute is up to the reputation of ANYONE. UT-Houston has a GREAT cardiology program, and Hermann is state of the art. A new, amazing building is going to be built. This means faculty openings for the fellows of today and the recent tomorrow. Don't walk, RUN to Texas for residency.

Pili said:
Baylor and the Texas Heart Institute is up to the reputation of ANYONE. UT-Houston has a GREAT cardiology program, and Hermann is state of the art. A new, amazing building is going to be built. This means faculty openings for the fellows of today and the recent tomorrow. Don't walk, RUN to Texas for residency.

Thanks a lot for your valuable opinion, Pili !!! Unfortunatelly I didnt apply to UT Houston - wish I had. Are you looking forward to staying in Texas for your residency?

Cheers! :)

Hb

hemoglobin said:
Thanks a lot for your valuable opinion, Pili !!! Unfortunatelly I didnt apply to UT Houston - wish I had. Are you looking forward to staying in Texas for your residency?

Cheers! :)

Hb
I might. Just interviewed at Baylor and UT in the last 4 days and my ranking list changed again. Can't beat the TMC in my opinion, especially if you want cards or hem/onc.

Pili said:
I might. Just interviewed at Baylor and UT in the last 4 days and my ranking list changed again. Can't beat the TMC in my opinion, especially if you want cards or hem/onc.

Alright! Good luck for you! Here´s hoping that we can be residency pals when June comes! :D :thumbup:

Hb