Baylor University Pre-Med

vstexas09

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How good is the Pre Med program at Baylor University? If I applied to medical schools in TX or out of state, will I be accepted from Baylor? Which school has a better chance of being accepted into Med School? Baylor or UT?

Members don't see this ad.

it doesnt matter which school you do undergrad pre-med at.

just get good grades, have solid ec's, and get a good mcat score.

I think either would be fine to go to as long as you did well... They're both great universities and seem to have good reputations. Which one do you think you'd be happier at?

Members don't see this ad :)
Baylor University pre-med is a solid program/group of classes. Granted, the pre-med requirements are the same at any college you attend and as long as you get good grades, learn the material and do well on mcat ect you will be fine as far as med school applications go.

Overall, after finishing the pre-med track at Baylor I can honestly say the advisers, professors (well most of them anyway) and general environment is very conducive to learning and extremely helpful. It has been an experience that I would not exchange for anything.

Ultimately though in the end college/university is what you make it out to be.

After having finished my time at Baylor I had no problem getting in to my top choice of medical school. In addition if you want to go for medical school at Baylor university I would encourage you to become part of the Baylor track (I don't know the exact name of the program) however I do know that if you are accepted into the program your freshman year you are guaranteed a spot at the Baylor med school as long as you maintain certain requirements (and from what I have heard you do not have to take the MCAT!!!) But you have to apply for it and be in it before you begin your freshman year so talk to an admissions officer about it.

Please if you have any questions about Baylor let me know and if I don't know the answer I will try to find the answer for you or direct you to who to ask.

Are the neuroscience classes for undergraduate students tough at Baylor? How is the class size for neuroscience?

Are the neuroscience classes for undergraduate students tough at Baylor? How is the class size for neuroscience?

I have 2 friends in neuroscience, I'll try to remember to ask them next time I see them.

it probably works like all the science classes; your first year or intro classes are huge then as more people drop or change the major the classes get smaller as you go along. It is like this at baylor in all the 'core' sciences because the professors will tell you they are activly trying to weed out the crowd and narrow the field a bit.

as far the difficulty...I do not know, I am a forensic science major so I have not taken any neuroscience classes

please update me on how they felt about the classes...

ok I talked to both of them and they had just about the same thing to say.

The class sizes get smaller as you progress, but are never in a stadium class so I am figuring the most in a class is maybe 50 to 60. The professors are all helpful, but the classes are challenging. They both said that if you keep up with the material and put forth some effort that you should be fine.

It sounds like it is the same as any other college class, for the most part you get out what you put in.

I hope this helps, if you come up with anything more you want me to ask them I will or find a way for you to get in touch with them.

could you ask them how the experience at baylor is?? what's are the downsides of the university??

so which do you think has a better track record to get into med school?

baylor or UT Austin??

As far as school prestige, UT ranks higher than Baylor. That being said, given that they both have good reputations, it probably wont matter where you go. Also, if I remember correctly, the acceptance/matriculation statistics are comparable.

I was a Psychology Pre-Med at BU and I took a few neuroscience classes. They can be very difficult and you'll spend a lot of time reading. Most neuro classes come with a lab as well. However, to echo Canjun's sentiment, Baylor has very invested faculty. Honestly, that's Baylor's greatest strength. They WILL help you succeed if you're willing to work.

Wishing you the best of luck,
Bright