Bastardizing EM for profit.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EctopicFetus

Keeping it funky enough
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reactions: 1 user
I love how these "Emergency Departments" aren't even staffed with Emergency Physicians.

Emergency foley stopped working right after the urologists office closed and I can’t reach them Department

But we can charge a special emergency foley fee of 15,000 just to check in….

Members don't see this ad :)
PE owns the OBED.

PE owns congress.

The system achieves the results it was designed to achieve.

Reactions: 2 users
Isn't this the same money Grab that ERs do all the time. Every new rule set by CMS seems to come with some protocol to extract as much money as possible.

Trauma alert = Extra charge for someone walking around falling off 10 ft ladder onto grass
Sepsis protocol = IV, labs, Fluids in someone talking on their Iphone with the flu
stroke alert = CT on bells palsy

I could not stand the dumb trauma alerts and I walk into the room with the pt texting on the phone with a sprained ankle.

Reactions: 1 users
Isn't this the same money Grab that ERs do all the time. Every new rule set by CMS seems to come with some protocol to extract as much money as possible.

Trauma alert = Extra charge for someone walking around falling off 10 ft ladder onto grass
Sepsis protocol = IV, labs, Fluids in someone talking on their Iphone with the flu

I could not stand the dumb trauma alerts and I walk into the room with the pt texting on the phone with a sprained ankle.

These are indeed ostriched, however, the difference is, these people elected to come to an ED.

Buyer beware.

For trauma yes. There is more dough. No extra dough for sepsis or stroke. It’s pure nonsense.

For trauma yes. There is more dough. No extra dough for sepsis or stroke. It’s pure nonsense.
Maybe not as a independent ICD10 but it turns a level 2/3 into a level 5 and about a 5-10K increase in facility charge.

It may have changed but I have seen way too many sepsis alerts and a txting flu pts is getting labs/line or a stroke alert and CT/labs for bells palsy.

It may have changed but I have seen way too many sepsis alerts and a txting flu pts is getting labs/line or a stroke alert and CT/labs for bells palsy.

About once a year I stand down a stroke alert because it's topical anticholinergic effects from a scopolamine patch. Sent one home the other day up at check-in before they even registered as a patient.

So nice to practice somewhere I can be sensible without an army of adminstrators second-guessing me – or trying to ensure maximum revenue is extracted.

Maybe not as a independent ICD10 but it turns a level 2/3 into a level 5 and about a 5-10K increase in facility charge.

When I was in the hospital having one of my kids they had decided that everyone who had 2 SIRS criteria needed a hospital -wide overhead paged Sepsis Alert, emergency department room X … pretty terrible

When I was in the hospital having one of my kids they had decided that everyone who had 2 SIRS criteria needed a hospital -wide overhead paged Sepsis Alert, emergency department room X … pretty terrible

NURSE!!!! SEPSIS IN ROOM ER ROOM 12!!!!!! RUN!!!!!!!

NURSE!!!! SEPSIS IN ROOM ER ROOM 12!!!!!! RUN!!!!!!!
If this got the ED some extra help I would be all for it. I was once at a hospital that would call "Code Blue" like WTF.. especially since the EM doc handled all codes anyhow. Stupid nonsense.

If this got the ED some extra help I would be all for it. I was once at a hospital that would call "Code Blue" like WTF.. especially since the EM doc handled all codes anyhow. Stupid nonsense.
Yeah , no , it did not trigger anyone not already in the ED to do anything. I actually used my experience to persuade them to quit calling the ED ones overhead.

I got pretty pissed at staff last week when they called a rapid response on an icu patient. I dont need 474785 rns cnas and nurse managers standing ariund in thenway.