Basic orthopedic course for GPs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZSOrthoMD

Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm an orthopedic surgeon putting together a course teaching general practitioners everything there is to know about diagnosis and management of the most common musculoskeletal complaints that come into your clinic, including performing basic procedures/injections and coding/billing for them. I was looking for feedback. Is this something anyone would be interested in?
Thanks for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
I’d assume folks without any sports med training would love some basic large and small joint injection training.

MSK evals are like kryptonite for many PCPs - you may get a higher yield of participants by advertising your course as being injection heavy.

Reactions: 1 users
I’d assume folks without any sports med training would love some basic large and small joint injection training.

MSK evals are like kryptonite for many PCPs - you may get a higher yield of participants by advertising your course as being injection heavy.
I appreciate the response. I'm collecting info through a very quick survey if you don't mind giving your feedback.

Orthopedic Course Survey

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,
I'm an orthopedic surgeon putting together a course teaching general practitioners everything there is to know about diagnosis and management of the most common musculoskeletal complaints that come into your clinic, including performing basic procedures/injections and coding/billing for them. I was looking for feedback. Is this something anyone would be interested in?
Thanks for your time.
Yes to interest. Time is a limiting factor. Bonus would be ultrasound MSK injections. You'd also have to be better at teaching than the AFP articles we usually use to look up quick MSK complaints ie: The Painful Shoulder: Part I. Clinical Evaluation. I'm always up for a good anatomy refresher.

Maybe something like a 2 to (max) 5 minute video on CC, common injuries with x sport, physical exam + special tests demo, and likely diagnosis/treatment options, 1st and 2nd line.
Week 1 - could be volleyball player
week 2 - bowling
etc

Who the heck has US in the office? I have never seen that in 15 years of practice in 9 states. I did a rotation in residency with a DO ortho. He taught me joint injections/aspirations by feel. Tendon injections Learned to splint and cast. What is emergent and what can wait.

I don't know that something that this would be needed. AAFP already has courses, same with AMSSM and ACSM along with all of the free videos online.

Mark Hutchinson's videos with BJSM really cover everything. All on youtube.