Basic Genetics Problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unperturbed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i encountered some basic genetics problem while reviewing the topic.
here are two questions i wasn't sure about.

Q1. Disease A is an autosomal recessive condition. Suppose that a husband and wife are both carriers (i.e. heterozygotes) for the disease. If they have three children, the probability of having at least 1 unaffected child is:
A. 1/2
B. 63/64
C. 1/8
D. 3/4

I put 3/4, since possbility having one Unaffected each time is 1/4. and it's asking for the at least... am i correct?

Q2.The occurrence of disease A is independent of a child’s sex. Assuming that female and male children are equally likely, what is the probability that the couple’s three children all have the disease, and are all boys?
A. 1/64
B. 1/32
C. 1/8
D. 1/512

I think it's D...but not sure...

Members don't see this ad.

Q1. Disease A is an autosomal recessive condition. Suppose that a husband and wife are both carriers (i.e. heterozygotes) for the disease. If they have three children, the probability of having at least 1 unaffected child is:
A. 1/2
B. 63/64
C. 1/8
D. 3/4

I put 3/4, since possbility having one Unaffected each time is 1/4. and it's asking for the at least... am i correct?

Q2.The occurrence of disease A is independent of a child's sex. Assuming that female and male children are equally likely, what is the probability that the couple's three children all have the disease, and are all boys?
A. 1/64
B. 1/32
C. 1/8
D. 1/512

Never mind I put something that would have led you needlessly astray

Last edited:
The first one is B. 63/64

You just read the question wrong. Probability of having an unaffected child is 3/4 and then the probability of having two more either with the disease or without is 100% each time so your chances of having at least one unaffected child increases from 3/4 to 15/16 to 63/64.

The second one is D and that is because the chance of having a boy is 1/2 each time and having a boy with the recessive disease is (1/2)(1/4) = 1/8 each time and having three boys all with the disease is (1/8)(1/8)(1/8) is 1/512

A. 1/2
B. 63/64
C. 1/8
D. 3/4

Q2.The occurrence of disease A is independent of a child's sex. Assuming that female and male children are equally likely, what is the probability that the couple's three children all have the disease, and are all boys?
A. 1/64
B. 1/32
C. 1/8
D. 1/512

You must learn to read such problems carefully. The key is atleast. You could have all unaffected 27/64, 2 affected 1 un, or 1 affected and 2 un. This is what the other poster is getting at.

Members don't see this ad :)
A. 1/64
B. 1/32
C. 1/8
D. 1/512

Yep I believe it is D also. Here's my work, if anyone gets something else let us know!

The probability to get the disease is 1/4 (Aa x Aa Punnett square: 3A_, 1aa).

The probability for all to get the disease [any gender]
P(A and B and C) = P(A) x P(B) x P(C) = 1/4 x 1/4 x 1/4

The probability for all to get the disease AND for all to be boys:
1/4 x 1/4 x 1/4 x 1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2 = 1/64 x 1/8 = 1/512

A. 1/2
B. 63/64
C. 1/8
D. 3/4
I get 37/64 and I do not think B or D are right. Here's my work.

Aa x Aa Punnett yields 3 A_ to every 1 aa.
3/4 or 75% to be A_ and unaffected, 1/4 chance to be aa and affected.

The probability that at least one is affected is equal to 1 minus the probability that no one is affected. This is using a little statistics- complement events!

P(no one affected) = 3/4 x 3/4 x 3/4 = 27/64
P(at least one is affected) = 1 - P(no one affected) = 1 - 27/64 = 37/64

Thoughts? I don't know why 37/64 is not an answer choice; this method makes sense to me...

Yep I believe it is D also. Here's my work, if anyone gets something else let us know!

The probability to get the disease is 1/4 (Aa x Aa Punnett square: 3A_, 1aa).

The probability for all to get the disease [any gender]
P(A and B and C) = P(A) x P(B) x P(C) = 1/4 x 1/4 x 1/4

The probability for all to get the disease AND for all to be boys:
1/4 x 1/4 x 1/4 x 1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2 = 1/64 x 1/8 = 1/512

I get 37/64 and I do not think B or D are right. Here's my work.

Aa x Aa Punnett yields 3 A_ to every 1 aa.
3/4 or 75% to be A_ and unaffected, 1/4 chance to be aa and affected.

The probability that at least one is affected is equal to 1 minus the probability that no one is affected. This is using a little statistics- complement events!

P(no one affected) = 3/4 x 3/4 x 3/4 = 27/64
P(at least one is affected) = 1 - P(no one affected) = 1 - 27/64 = 37/64

Thoughts? I don't know why 37/64 is not an answer choice; this method makes sense to me...

That can't be applied here.
all unaffected (3/4)^3=27/64
first unaffected, second unaffected, third one affected= 9/64
first unaffected, second affected, third unaffected 9/64
first unaffected, next two affected 3/64
first affected, next two unaffected 9/64
first affected, second non affected, third affected 3/64
first affected, second affected, third unaffected 3/64
finally, all three affected 1/64

The sum comes to 63/64. I have a hunch this is hw and not MCAt. The second question seems mcat, but not the first. I looked at it and guessed 63/64 because atleast means one or more, plus, you must add up different ways. The most important thing is that it isn't necessary to calculate 63/64. You just need to realize that the other 3 answers don't apply here.

Last edited:
Thanks for that explanation Boondocks... that's what you and others were indicating (to combine all the possibilities), but it only makes sense now...

I agree the first question does not seem very MCAT-like!

Hello,

The first question can be done easily through considering the complement. For example, the set of combinations where all children are affected would be the complement of at least 1 unaffected child.

This way, you can calculate the probably of all children being affected, then calculate for its complement.

The solution to this method would be:

(1) Probability of one child being affected: 1/4
(2) Probability of all three children being affected: (1/4)^3 = 1/64
(3) Probability of the complement of (2): 1 - 1/64 = 63/64

In addition, this solution partially answers the second question. To factor in the probability of all three being boys, you just multiply by the corresponding probabilities.

Solution to the second question:

(1) Probability of all three children being affected: 1/64 (from previous)
(2) Probability of being male: 1/2
(3) Probability of all three children being male: (1/2)^3 = 1/8
(4) Probability of (1) AND (3): 1/64 * 1/8 = 1/512

The solution for question one is similar to futuredoctor10's solution. However, futuredoctor10 calculated for at least one affected child and the question asks for at least one unaffected child.

Thanks csau!!! I knew complement events had to work, but just answered the wrong question.

So P(one unaffected) = 1 - (P all affected) = 1 - (1/4 x 1/4 x 1/4) = 1 - (1/64) = 63/64