Baseline nbme - new

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drmakster

Reaction score
Hi
My exam is in 7 weeks. I want to give a baseline nbme tomorrow.
Could someone please suggest which one I should give? I only have the new ones, nbme 18,20,21,22,23,24 and both the uwsas . I want to give one that’s comparatively easy tomorrow so I can work my way through the tougher and the ones most close to the exam later on.

Members don't see this ad.

I disagree for two reasons. I kinda don't believe in the "baseline" NBME mentality. Go thru two weeks of hardcore UW 100-120 questions a day then take an NBME. These exams are not meant to be taken lightly, they are tough af.

Do not do 18 first. I did it the week before and it was almost the exact score I got on Step. Won't be useful if you do it this early.
My order was UWSA1--> NBME 23, NBME 21, NBME 22, NBME 18---> UWSA2

Avg 18 and UW2 and that'll prob be your score. You wont have this info if you do it right now. Everyone I know that did it at the beginning regretted not having the diagnostic tool available later. It's not diagnostic if you do it pre-studying.

And n=1 but I had an 18 repeat on my exam.

Reactions: 1 user
I thought 24 resembled the actual exam the most. Hell, got a few conceptual repeats from what I remember.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi
My exam is in 7 weeks. I want to give a baseline nbme tomorrow.
Could someone please suggest which one I should give? I only have the new ones, nbme 18,20,21,22,23,24 and both the uwsas . I want to give one that’s comparatively easy tomorrow so I can work my way through the tougher and the ones most close to the exam later on.
I disagree for two reasons. I kinda don't believe in the "baseline" NBME mentality. Go thru two weeks of hardcore UW 100-120 questions a day then take an NBME. These exams are not meant to be taken lightly, they are tough af.

Do not do 18 first. I did it the week before and it was almost the exact score I got on Step. Won't be useful if you do it this early.

Avg 18 and UW2 and that'll prob be your score. You wont have this info if you do it right now. Everyone I know that did it at the beginning regretted not having the diagnostic tool available later. It's not diagnostic if you do it pre-studying.

I too wasn’t keen on doing a baseline.. thank god I haven’t taken it yet! Thanks a ton!
Also, any advice on doing anything differently in regards to ufap?

What is the purpose of "knowing your exam score in advance"? It may work, it may stress you, it may give you false security. If 18 is similar to the real exam, it would be much better to do it early so you can study more. I did 18 first and got an OK score, and a higher score on step. Would not change a thing.

Obviously we can only really discuss anecdotes but for me it was the opposite. I agree UWSA 1 should probably be taken first. After that and from the anecdotes I've seen with classmates is that 18 is no longer the predictive tool it once was. It's much too easy and straightforward. The new NBMEs are honestly the closest thing I think we have to truly accurate predictors, even more so than UWSA 2 now. My scores on all of those were very similar to my real thing. In fact, my score was literally almost exactly in the middle of my average on the new NBMEs and my average on the two UWSAs.

A lot of this is just personal preference as I don't really believe in the whole "predict my score" by taking 18 or UW 2 right before the real thing. I believe practice tests are meant to be just that, practice tools meant to be learned from. Personally I did 10k practice questions and 3k of them came from practice tests, I completely attribute my score to doing so many practice tests.

tldr. So just kind of a personal preference thing I think. I'm not sure there is a right way or a wrong way.

Agree with what’s been said above, but just to add another data point for you: my nbme scores were all 20 ish points below my actual score. I learned a lot from reviewing them, especially 18 since it’s old and all the answers have been worked out. But the idea that they might be predictive really stressed me out and shook my confidence. I wouldn’t focus on the number no matter how good/bad it is. Instead just do your best to make sure it goes up on the next one.

UWSA2 was 4 points off from my actual score and my friends scored within 10 points of it. Seemed to be the only accurate one between all of us.

I really think it’s hard to know where you’ll end up in scores beyond knowing which side of the bell curve you’ll end up on.