BarryU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VailHaddock43

Reaction score
Is Barry still chaotic regarding their clinical directors and faculty? I was reading the student reviews for the school and it seems that BarryU should be avoided at all costs. I do not mean any disrespect for students that attend Barry, I am just trying to get the complete picture before committing to a school, thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I heard they have to type a paragraph about each patient they enter on Typhon and log every patient they see. That alone would keep me from going there.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is Barry still chaotic regarding their clinical directors and faculty? I was reading the student reviews for the school and it seems that BarryU should be avoided at all costs. I do not mean any disrespect for students that attend Barry, I am just trying to get the complete picture before committing to a school, thank you.

Maybe a few years back there were some issues with the basic science professors, I am not sure if they were changed or not, but the recent Part 1 pass % was competitive and everyone matched so that's def in the right direction.

Hopefully, a current BarryU student can shed some light.

I'm a 2nd year student at Barry so I'm not quite sure about clinical directors yet. I haven't heard anything bad from 3rd and 4th years either. For faculty, there have been new professors, so I wouldn't go with what's on SDN since it has changed a lot. Past years, anatomy professor was tough. We have new anatomy professor for 1st year, one of the best professor you'll get for anatomy (not bragging, lol). As long as you know your material, you should be fine and he's there whenever you need help. We were lucky to have him as we were the 1st class he taught. Board pass rate went up too! Physio is a tough one but I think this class is tough no matter which school you go. I heard the professor who taught us wont be teaching next year so there's another change. We have new pharm professor this semester and she's awesome! So I would say take SDN reviews as a grain of salt. Everyone has different opinions. Resources are out there for whichever school you choose, learn to grab them!
If you have any other questions, feel free ask here or pm! Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
In the end, you have to study the materials yourself, put the evening/weekend time in the cadaver lab and library yourself, find and read the journal articles, quiz yourself and study partners, study and pass the boards yourself…

Personally, I think the one thing you can't do on your own is volume of experiences (clinic pts as a student, surgery volume as a resident, etc)… so those are key. Clinic volume is probably numero uno in my eyes. Sure, faculty is helpful for motivation and keeping you engaged ("big picture" goals), but you need to get out of the prep and paperwork and on to the actual thinking and working on your feet eventually. Good professors (and upperclassmen / senior residents) can absolutely help with mentor ship, but you need to cultivate lot of that desire to review and prep for cases/surgery on your own at any school or hospital also. The journals, textbooks, etc are available anywhere, though. JMO