BARRY Biomedical Sciences (MS) FALL 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jdental__

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

i just got accepted to barry's Biomedical Sciences (MS) program for fall 2018. Wanted to get some input on those who are currently in the program. How is it? I am doing the one year track, i know its going to be rigorous so i wanted some input...also looking to see who else will be joining the same year!

Members don't see this ad.

I just graduated in December from the BMS program. I did the 18 month track. The program was very helpful and has a good reputation (as well as connection) with a lot of dental schools so I believe you will have good chances of interviews once you apply.

I would recommend you get involved with BMS society, go to as many dental school presentations as you can you so can connect with visiting deans and former BMS students!

Reactions: 1 user
I’m currently in the program. I am very pleased so far! I started in Fall 2017 and I’m on the 2-year track, so I can only imagine how difficult the 1-year track will be. The classes are pretty difficult in that the exams usually cover a lot of material. Undergrad was a piece of cake compared to this program but you can definitely still get A’s. You just have to put in the work! The connections that you get through this program are (in my opinion) what sets this program apart from other programs. Pamela and Dr. Chandra really advocate for their students. Good luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

i just got accepted to barry's Biomedical Sciences (MS) program for fall 2018. Wanted to get some input on those who are currently in the program. How is it? I am doing the one year track, i know its going to be rigorous so i wanted some input...also looking to see who else will be joining the same year!
Hey! What are your stats? I want to know my chances of getting in!

Hey! What are your stats? I want to know my chances of getting in!

my gpa is a 3.4 i have a DAT science of 18 and overall 19!
i believe 17+ means youre good

I just graduated in December from the BMS program. I did the 18 month track. The program was very helpful and has a good reputation (as well as connection) with a lot of dental schools so I believe you will have good chances of interviews once you apply.

I would recommend you get involved with BMS society, go to as many dental school presentations as you can you so can connect with visiting deans and former BMS students!
hmm so u started in august and ended when? i know the one year would be difficult but i want to apply to dental school without losing another year

hmm so u started in august and ended when? i know the one year would be difficult but i want to apply to dental school without losing another year
I did the 18 month as well and started fall 2016, graduated in December of 2017

I might have to do the 1 year track (fall, spring, summer) . How difficult would it be?

I have no problem focusing solely on masters work and getting the grades I need. I just want to know if you know of people who have done the 1 year track and succeeded if they had a strong work ethic.

I might have to do the 1 year track (fall, spring, summer) . How difficult would it be?

I have no problem focusing solely on masters work and getting the grades I need. I just want to know if you know of people who have done the 1 year track and succeeded if they had a strong work ethic.
It will be challenging but worth it in the end.

I started August 2016 and ended December 2017. I would imagine the one year track is tough! But not impossible and definitely good preparation for dental school.

Does anyone know when does next semester application for Barry please?

Does anyone know if you can opt out of the 18 month if you want to do 12 months instead?

Does anyone know if you can opt out of the 18 month if you want to do 12 months instead?
They usually won’t let you accelerate your track, but they will let you go from 12 to 18 or 24 months.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I submitted my application to the program about 10 days ago or so. I wanted to know how long does it take for somebody to receive the decision in regards to their admission?

Thanks!

Hi, I submitted my application to the program about 10 days ago or so. I wanted to know how long does it take for somebody to receive the decision in regards to their admission?

Thanks!
I heard back a month after I submitted my app!

Thanks!

I heard back two weeks to the day after I called and confirmed my application was complete. Best of luck and hope to see you in the fall!

Hi everyone, I just got accepted into the 18 month pre-dental track. Hope to see you all in the fall!

When do you fall classes start

When do you fall classes start
Hey! The fall semester starts on August 27th, and new student orientation is typically a couple days before that.
I just completed my first year on the two-year track in the Barry BMS program. I agree with the other Barry students in that the program is very challenging but has tremendously prepared me for dental school. The one-year program is very rigorous; most students are on the 18 month or 2 year track. However, if you stay on top of the material and study every day you will be successful! Definitely take advantage of the opportunity to meet admissions personnel from the different dental schools that visit. If you have any other questions about Barry BMS feel free to ask! :)

The advisors at Barry recommend you complete at least 21 credits of the BMS program before applying. Dental schools want to see at least two semester's worth of master's grades to prove you can handle the rigor of dental school.

Hi, do you know about how many people were accepted?
Hi! I can't say for sure how many students will be in the incoming cohort, however for reference I started Barry last fall in 2017 and I have ~ 125 students in my cohort.

Does anyone know when does next semester application for Barry please?
Hi! The Barry BMS program is accepting applications for the Fall 2018 semester until June 1st.
Applications to start in Spring 2019 will open in August.

Hey! The fall semester starts on August 27th, and new student orientation is typically a couple days before that.
I just completed my first year on the two-year track in the Barry BMS program. I agree with the other Barry students in that the program is very challenging but has tremendously prepared me for dental school. The one-year program is very rigorous; most students are on the 18 month or 2 year track. However, if you stay on top of the material and study every day you will be successful! Definitely take advantage of the opportunity to meet admissions personnel from the different dental schools that visit. If you have any other questions about Barry BMS feel free to ask! :)
Hey do you know how many classes/credits a one year student takes a semester?

Hi! The Barry BMS program is accepting applications for the Fall 2018 semester until June 1st.
Applications to start in Spring 2019 will open in August.

Hello! I have few questions to ask.

1. How is Florida? I am really scared of bugs (especially cockroach). Actually, this is the biggest factor that prevents me from applying... I don't know if I can study without the stress of bugs.
2. If I decide to move there, how can I know which rental has less or no bugs in the room? Do most students get a room around Hollywood?
3. Are there good places to study except Starbucks and public library? I am aware of that I will be all-night once I semester starts.
3. I have taken only one upper division biology (cell bio) because I am a non-science major. I got an A in cell bio but it was very rigorous to me though. So, do you think I can handle 18 months track without the science background?

Florida the sunshine state is great. Bugs are everywhere don't let them be your enemy. Most students network through the Facebook group to find roommates. There is plenty of libraries but the hours vary. The program is designed to help you succeed based on what you submitted. The first semester will help you determine the following semesters. Barry's program is built to also help you succeed on standardized exams with a solid foundation.

Hello! I have few questions to ask.

1. How is Florida? I am really scared of bugs (especially cockroach). Actually, this is the biggest factor that prevents me from applying... I don't know if I can study without the stress of bugs.
2. If I decide to move there, how can I know which rental has less or no bugs in the room? Do most students get a room around Hollywood?
3. Are there good places to study except Starbucks and public library? I am aware of that I will be all-night once I semester starts.
3. I have taken only one upper division biology (cell bio) because I am a non-science major. I got an A in cell bio but it was very rigorous to me though. So, do you think I can handle 18 months track without the science background?

1. So I have a fear of bugs (in particular spiders). I didn't really have any issues with roaches in my apartment. I was there for 18 months and probably had 1 roach. I spent most of my time at the library anyways.
2. You wont really know. I spent a lot of time reading reviews before I went to apartment hunt to see which ones had issues including maintenance/pest issues and that kind of helped me narrow it down. But Florida is known for bugs whether it's north or south florida. Most students live around Hollywood if they can find something affordable--a lof of students commute as well. I commuted from outside of Fort Lauderdale (drive was about 20-25 min without traffic)
3. You can find a lot of coffee shops but they won't be completely silent. I know during exams the library would stay open a little later and you could also reserve study rooms there. Most of the time me and my friends would just study at someones apartment.
4. I think it depends on the students and if you study hard enough and make sure you understand the concepts you should do fine!
-Good Luck :)

Is anyone planning on living at Barry's main campus? It's a 20 minute commute but it seems like a good choice cost and amenities wise.

Is anyone planning on living at Barry's main campus? It's a 20 minute commute but it seems like a good choice cost and amenities wise.
I applied to live on campus earlier this week! I'm coming all the way from Ohio so honestly I don't want to have to struggle with furnishing an apartment. I'm planning on having my car shipped to Florida so I can drive to class from campus

Reactions: 1 users
Hey do you know how many classes/credits a one year student takes a semester?
The entire BMS curriculum is 34 credit hours, which comes out to ~9 courses. Students on the one-year track typically complete three semesters (i.e. fall, spring, summer), while taking 3 classes per semester. Students on the 18-month track typically start out taking 3 classes as well, but perhaps do not take classes in the summer to study for the DAT or MCAT. Students on the two-year track typically take 2 classes their first semester, and based on their performance decide whether to maintain at that pace or increase their load to 3 classes in subsequent semesters. Our advisors are great at finding a pace at which you can succeed based on your personal circumstances. Hope this information helps!

I applied to live on campus earlier this week! I'm coming all the way from Ohio so honestly I don't want to have to struggle with furnishing an apartment. I'm planning on having my car shipped to Florida so I can drive to class from campus
Cool, we can study together on main campus then! I was considering shipping my car over too, I'm from Cali. Would you be interested in a carpool arrangement? I wouldn't mind paying for all your gas expenses every month if we could carpool together.

Cool, we can study together on main campus then! I was considering shipping my car over too, I'm from Cali. Would you be interested in a carpool arrangement? I wouldn't mind paying for all your gas expenses every month if we could carpool together.
I'd be down to do something like that! Hopefully there will be other people on campus in the same situation as us so they could take turns driving too. I'm slightly scared to be driving in the crazy traffic of Miami so it'd be nice if I didn't have to be the one always driving haha

I'd be down to do something like that! Hopefully there will be other people on campus in the same situation as us so they could take turns driving too. I'm slightly scared to be driving in the crazy traffic of Miami so it'd be nice if I didn't have to be the one always driving haha
The traffic isn't too bad. I'm from LA so the traffic in Miami is nothing haha. Btw for graduate housing, we have to contact them to let us move in earlier. The main campus move in day is the 23rd, but we have orientation on the 16th. They said we would be paying additionally by the day for the convenience.

Hey guys, I was accepted for the 2 - year pre-dental track. 19 AA 18Sci Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
The traffic isn't too bad. I'm from LA so the traffic in Miami is nothing haha. Btw for graduate housing, we have to contact them to let us move in earlier. The main campus move in day is the 23rd, but we have orientation on the 16th. They said we would be paying additionally by the day for the convenience.
Ah that's good to know, thanks for telling me! Yeah LA traffic is definitely not fun so I'm sure for you the traffic near Barry will be nothing haha

Where do you think you're going to stay? The main campus or an apartment?

I found an apartment off campus about 20 minutes out. The thing with the area is that it’s hard to find a decent place for a decent price. Most of the apartments are either luxury style condominiums or janky and privatley owned. I personally hate all that comes with campus living, although in this case, it may be immensley cheaper to just stay on campus.

EDIT:
I just realized you said living on main campus. Main campus is in a super congested area in the heart of miami. The drive to get to the medical campus will be a pain in the butt, but it just means you’ll have to plan your trips to class and give yourself time for potential traffic.

Last edited:
I found an apartment off campus about 20 minutes out. The thing with the area is that it’s hard to find a decent place for a decent price. Most of the apartments are either luxury style condominiums or janky and privatley owned. I personally hate all that comes with campus living, although in this case, it may be immensley cheaper to just stay on campus.

EDIT:
I just realized you said living on main campus. Main campus is in a super congested area in the heart of miami. The drive to get to the medical campus will be a pain in the butt, but it just means you’ll have to plan your trips to class and give yourself time for potential traffic.

Traffic wise, my commute during undergrad probably has been equal if not worse.(LA traffic) The benefits of living on main campus outweigh the commute in my opinion, in terms of cost, amenities, and convenience.

Should I even bother applying? I have a 2.5 gpa and a 18 DAT. I am retaking the DAT at the end of June

Is anyone looking for a roommate? I just got accepted!!

Hello all, I got accepted to Fall 2018 medical track! I was wondering if I could get my questions answered?

1. How many students are in the medical track?
2. How many get accepted to just MD or DO? (i know it says 70% in general, but specifically how many get in MD or DO)
3. If I am on the 2-year track is there any way to change it after the first semester if I did great?