Banfield Student Job program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mew87

Iowa State c/o 2015
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I was wondering if anyone have an idea of the questions they asked in the final interview for the Banfield student job program?

Members don't see this ad.

I did the program last year. They asked a lot of situational type questions. I know there has been a thread about this before but I can't remember if it was in the vet or pre-vet forum. You should do a forum search for it.

I already had the first interview, which consisted of behavioral questions. So I was just wondering if anyone remembered the ones they asked in the second interview. The other forums were about the first interview and random Banfield stuff. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
At least in Oregon, they only did one round of interviews last year...so it's either different in Iowa, or they've changed the process this year.

If you are thinking of either doing an externship at Banfield or getting a job there, please research it carefully. Read VIN and message doctors there that have worked for BF. Personally, I know it took them 6 weeks for me to get a check when I did relief for them the first time. It took a threat of going to the labor board to get a check. The next time, my check was made out for $0.00. In another BF clinic, the head doctor had to write a check out of his personal account because it took over a month for me to get a paycheck. And that doesn't even go into the extremely limited pharmacy (and the inability to add drugs to the pharmacy) or the restrictions on referring clients.

I had a phone interview 4 weeks ago, and I haven't heard back since. Can anyone tell me when I should expect to get contacted again?

I know there has been a thread about this before but I can't remember if it was in the vet or pre-vet forum. You should do a forum search for it.

You should, because it's been hashed and rehashed.... I'd tell you my feelings on the matter but everyone here knows how I feel about Banfield and a simple forum search would yield a lot of results to answer your questions.

I already had the first interview, which consisted of behavioral questions. So I was just wondering if anyone remembered the ones they asked in the second interview. The other forums were about the first interview and random Banfield stuff. Thanks!
They didn't do phone interviews last year.

They didn't do phone interviews last year.

I did a phone interview last year, interviewed March 17th and offered a position on March 21st.....it's possible that they're just having everyone wait because you interviewed early, or they're not going to tell applicants what their status is until they've made all their decisions. And I only had one interview, not sure about having a second.

I did a phone interview last year, interviewed March 17th and offered a position on March 21st.....it's possible that they're just having everyone wait because you interviewed early, or they're not going to tell applicants what their status is until they've made all their decisions. And I only had one interview, not sure about having a second.
I meant that they didn't do a phone interview followed by a face-to-face interview.

i had 2 phone interviews. the first was an initial phone interview with someone within the SJP and the second was with a Dr. from the interested office. the first interview was just some about me questions, and then my second interview was more about me, why the program, etc. no situational questions, but it was pretty quick (the Dr. was 15 mins late)

i had 2 phone interviews. the first was an initial phone interview with someone within the SJP and the second was with a Dr. from the interested office. the first interview was just some about me questions, and then my second interview was more about me, why the program, etc. no situational questions, but it was pretty quick (the Dr. was 15 mins late)

I had the exact same experience...just waiting to hear back at this stage, now!

Bumping-

Has anyone completed this program? If so, would you mind telling me the good/bad/ugly about it? Some of our old threads on Banfield in general aren't exactly rave reviews. I have my own opinions on corporate medicine (I see the good and the bad), but I'd like to hear about anyone else's experience. What I've dug up makes it sound like I'd be doing mostly tech work. I'm certainly not opposed to that, but the lecture at school made it seem like a mentorship program.

@jmo1012, did you end up completing this program?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard a lot of good things about the student program with banfield. The people I know who did it were really happy with it. It's more hands on experience than most people get elsewhere. I mean at this point in your career, even mostly tech work is better than many other opportunities out there. You can always buddy up with the doctors and ask about the medicine.

I personally wouldn't work for a Banfield unless I absolutely had to as a doctor (and yes, I've interviewed and spent a few days at both charters and franchise joints), esp as a majority if people I know who have worked for one were not happy... though there are a few who love it. They were lucky to have landed at a particular hospital that worked well for them and was managed well. But I've heard a lot of positives about the student program.

Reactions: 1 user
Bumping-

Has anyone completed this program? If so, would you mind telling me the good/bad/ugly about it? Some of our old threads on Banfield in general aren't exactly rave reviews. I have my own opinions on corporate medicine (I see the good and the bad), but I'd like to hear about anyone else's experience. What I've dug up makes it sound like I'd be doing mostly tech work. I'm certainly not opposed to that, but the lecture at school made it seem like a mentorship program.
@jmo1012, did you end up completing this program?
i did the summer between years 1 and 2. i enjoyed it and they paid well. it comprised a bulk of my GP experience, because i spent most of my pre-vet school years in specialty and emergency medicine. it was good for me to get that GP experience. the SJP was pretty good. i did a lot of CE and it was mainly tech work, but i think that in part was due to the fact that after my mentor signed on for a mentee, she decided to vacation in india for 2 months...so she was gone for a majority of the time. the hours were decent. we primarily did wellness at my hospital, so it wasnt a ton of medical experience personally (plus, compared to ER/specialty...). it helped me solidify that i did not want to work in GP. the doctors at my hospital had pretty crummy schedules, so i'm not sure i took away the best desire to want to work for banfield, but i would work there if i had to, especially compared to many other GPs ive received referrals from. my take aways were reasonable standards of care (aka everyone is always quick to blame banfield for bad medicine, but i dont think its true - very locatin dependent, just like a privately owned practice but with a corporate name), good hours and a guaranteed full time position, better pay than what i had been offered anywhere else, and good GP experience. i did a smidge of surgery too. castrated a cat and a guinea pig, and scrubbed in for a few other spays and a cystotomy.

I've heard a lot of good things about the student program with banfield. The people I know who did it were really happy with it. It's more hands on experience than most people get elsewhere. I mean at this point in your career, even mostly tech work is better than many other opportunities out there. You can always buddy up with the doctors and ask about the medicine.

I personally wouldn't work for a Banfield unless I absolutely had to as a doctor (and yes, I've interviewed and spent a few days at both charters and franchise joints), esp as a majority if people I know who have worked for one were not happy... though there are a few who love it. They were lucky to have landed at a particular hospital that worked well for them and was managed well. But I've heard a lot of positives about the student program.
From my POV, I don't see why I wouldn't want to work for Banfield as a student. I was just a little worried about how it was talked up to be a mentorship program where you'd be attached to a doctor at the hip, but online I've found it's tech work. Again, that's good experience too, but I don't want to get myself into something that ends up being completely different.
i did the summer between years 1 and 2. i enjoyed it and they paid well. it comprised a bulk of my GP experience, because i spent most of my pre-vet school years in specialty and emergency medicine. it was good for me to get that GP experience. the SJP was pretty good. i did a lot of CE and it was mainly tech work, but i think that in part was due to the fact that after my mentor signed on for a mentee, she decided to vacation in india for 2 months...so she was gone for a majority of the time. the hours were decent. we primarily did wellness at my hospital, so it wasnt a ton of medical experience personally (plus, compared to ER/specialty...). it helped me solidify that i did not want to work in GP. the doctors at my hospital had pretty crummy schedules, so i'm not sure i took away the best desire to want to work for banfield, but i would work there if i had to, especially compared to many other GPs ive received referrals from. my take aways were reasonable standards of care (aka everyone is always quick to blame banfield for bad medicine, but i dont think its true - very locatin dependent, just like a privately owned practice but with a corporate name), good hours and a guaranteed full time position, better pay than what i had been offered anywhere else, and good GP experience. i did a smidge of surgery too. castrated a cat and a guinea pig, and scrubbed in for a few other spays and a cystotomy.
I'm glad you had a good experience. I'm somewhat stuck because I already know I'd like to stay away from GP if I can help it. So I'm wondering if I should even apply (because it pays well and again, the experience is valuable no matter what) as a backup to the other things I'm applying for (research stuff).

Did you at all feel like you were mostly utilized for cleaning, restraint, etc. with occasional medical work? I hope I don't come off as any of that being beneath me, because it's not. Either way, the pay would be the highest paying job I've had yet, so I wouldn't be opposed to taking it even it it was that kind of work. Was the program what you expected?

From my POV, I don't see why I wouldn't want to work for Banfield as a student. I was just a little worried about how it was talked up to be a mentorship program where you'd be attached to a doctor at the hip, but online I've found it's tech work. Again, that's good experience too, but I don't want to get myself into something that ends up being completely different.

I'm glad you had a good experience. I'm somewhat stuck because I already know I'd like to stay away from GP if I can help it. So I'm wondering if I should even apply (because it pays well and again, the experience is valuable no matter what) as a backup to the other things I'm applying for (research stuff).

Did you at all feel like you were mostly utilized for cleaning, restraint, etc. with occasional medical work? I hope I don't come off as any of that being beneath me, because it's not. Either way, the pay would be the highest paying job I've had yet, so I wouldn't be opposed to taking it even it it was that kind of work. Was the program what you expected?
No it was definitely tech work -doing dentals, anesthesia, blood draws, labs, fecals, cyto, teching rooms, etc. Yes you are involved in clean up and restraint, but so is everyone else. I was not attached to a Dr. Its a good way to make contacts in a field you may end up in (remembering that you want zoo?), and an excellent way to make good money with guaranteed hours over 8-10 weeks. You could potentially work over other breaks too if things went well

I can speak to that. I'm a Banfield doctor (not a very happy one, but that's due more to dissatisfaction with practice more than anything Banfield-specific... I actually left Banfield and then returned after being reminded of how much I dislike private clinics in my area)... I've been an SJP mentor doc once before and have signed on to be a mentor doctor again this summer.

The official guideline sent to mentor doctors is that SJP students are supposed to spend 80% of their time working as a veterinary assistant and 20% of their time shadowing their mentor veterinarian. Their schedule should (roughly) match their mentor doctor and they should have a 1:1 meeting with their mentor weekly.

In reality, though, it totally depends on the hospital. Banfield tends to run very lean on paraprofessional staff (typically we have 3 vet assistants and 1 receptionist on a 2-doctor day, 2.5 vet assistants and 1 receptionist on a 1-doctor day), so you'll certainly be expected to actually jump in and work so that things can get done around the hospital. As a doctor, I often find even myself cleaning, restraining, etc... because we're just busy and short-handed. So a SJP student would be expected to do those things too. Still, when I am using a SJP student as my assistant, whether in an exam room or on a drop-off pet, they may be holding but we're usually discussing the case as I do my exam. Before or after my exam, I'll typically restrain and let them perform their own exam and we'll discuss the results if there's time. So yes, you'll definitely be expected to actually work as a vet assistant, but you probably won't be 'just' working as a vet assistant (if that makes sense).

Hope that helps.

No it was definitely tech work -doing dentals, anesthesia, blood draws, labs, fecals, cyto, teching rooms, etc. Yes you are involved in clean up and restraint, but so is everyone else. I was not attached to a Dr. Its a good way to make contacts in a field you may end up in (remembering that you want zoo?), and an excellent way to make good money with guaranteed hours over 8-10 weeks. You could potentially work over other breaks too if things went well
I can speak to that. I'm a Banfield doctor (not a very happy one, but that's due more to dissatisfaction with practice more than anything Banfield-specific... I actually left Banfield and then returned after being reminded of how much I dislike private clinics in my area)... I've been an SJP mentor doc once before and have signed on to be a mentor doctor again this summer.

The official guideline sent to mentor doctors is that SJP students are supposed to spend 80% of their time working as a veterinary assistant and 20% of their time shadowing their mentor veterinarian. Their schedule should (roughly) match their mentor doctor and they should have a 1:1 meeting with their mentor weekly.

In reality, though, it totally depends on the hospital. Banfield tends to run very lean on paraprofessional staff (typically we have 3 vet assistants and 1 receptionist on a 2-doctor day, 2.5 vet assistants and 1 receptionist on a 1-doctor day), so you'll certainly be expected to actually jump in and work so that things can get done around the hospital. As a doctor, I often find even myself cleaning, restraining, etc... because we're just busy and short-handed. So a SJP student would be expected to do those things too. Still, when I am using a SJP student as my assistant, whether in an exam room or on a drop-off pet, they may be holding but we're usually discussing the case as I do my exam. Before or after my exam, I'll typically restrain and let them perform their own exam and we'll discuss the results if there's time. So yes, you'll definitely be expected to actually work as a vet assistant, but you probably won't be 'just' working as a vet assistant (if that makes sense).

Hope that helps.
Thank you guys, I appreciate the input! I think I will go ahead and apply for it then.

Honestly as a first year, most of the "doctor things" are going to be so over your head, I wouldn't expect something like this to be similar to a 4th year rotation. If GP isn't your thing, and you have something else lined up, then great, but there's no harm in applying.

And banfield does take care of the petsmart pocket pets so you may actually see more of those exotic species than you would otherwise.

And lastly, keep an open mind. I had 0 intentions of going into private practice, much less a GP throughout my prevet years and 90% of vet school. And I actually love it now that I'm in it. It really came down to finding a hospital that was the right fit. Even when I've had opportunities to leave and do what I initially set out to do, I couldn't justify leaving.

@pinkpuppy9 I also completed the SJP and have been the Mizzou Banfield ambassador for 3 years. I agree with everyone above has said. It was a good way to freshen up on those technical skills that we don't really get the first couple years of vet school. I got to scrub in and assist on surgeries and talk through the thought process for treatment of different disease processes.. The pay was around the $12+ range which is a nice plus to the program. Overall I think it is a good paid opportunity to be in vet med for the summer. All of my classmates that have done it have had nothing but good things to say and would do it again if they could. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me !

Reactions: 1 users
@pinkpuppy9 I also completed the SJP and have been the Mizzou Banfield ambassador for 3 years. I agree with everyone above has said. It was a good way to freshen up on those technical skills that we don't really get the first couple years of vet school. I got to scrub in and assist on surgeries and talk through the thought process for treatment of different disease processes.. The pay was around the $12+ range which is a nice plus to the program. Overall I think it is a good paid opportunity to be in vet med for the summer. All of my classmates that have done it have had nothing but good things to say and would do it again if they could. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me !
Thank you!!

I did it and really liked it. I had an excellent experience and a superb mentor. Whenever there was an interesting case, I was given access to all the diagnostics and we talked about differentials, next steps, etc. Very valuable.

The company treats students well.

I had a very negative experience with the Banfield SJP, but it was all before the program even would have begun. After my initial interview with Banfield, I never heard from them again. Seriously, after so much time passed I finally started calling hospitals and trying to get ahold of the program reps and it turned out they either lost my file or just forgot to call me. I was informed that none of the locations I listed had openings anymore but to give them a list of other locations and they'd look into it and see if any of those places still had openings and get back to me. So I compiled a list of locations that were less than ideal but doable, sent it on to them, and again never heard back. At that point I gave up and got a job in an emergency clinic for the summer (paid better but stranger hours and less mentorship). So I have a negative view of the entire experience (reinforced by a classmate of mine who, according to Banfield's records, was offered a job and declined it even though she, like me, actually had never heard back from them. Her position was then given to someone else by the time she contacted them and sorted through the mess.)

I didn't know banfield program was in such demand. I think I just applied and selected a few of their petsmart stores near my home and off I went. As for the experience, I did the program in the summer after my first year. The reason I did it was to learn more about WHY banfield was expanding and succeeding in opening tons of their clinics. Early on, I always had a desire/interest in being a private practice owner so I wanted to get an inside look at how they attract so many clients/pets. I also wanted to get more confident in "tech work" and learn a little about medical/surgical practice. Because I had realistic expectations, it was a very beneficial rotation for me. I really learned how they projected their competence, organization, and convenience to keep attracting clientele. Of course, I also learned about the usual GP cases like skin allergies, dental disease, ear infections, etc. and of course doing routine surgeries like spay/neuter/lumpectomy. Also, my mentor doctor had probably THE BEST bedside manner I've come across in our field. So I really got lucky and still use some of the things I learned from my mentor doctor. As for my practice, I also implemented things I came across banfield such as having touchscreen computers, a standard (but multi-modal/modern) anesthesia protocol that is organized and can be used by everyone in the hospital, and creating and implementing valuable wellness plans. I actually had a banfield client come in this past week that signed up her new puppy on my wellness plan and remarked how she preferred my clinic because everything is organized and transparent without the rigid corporate structure.
Another interesting thing I took away was how to run a very profitable clinic using about 1,000 sq foot of space and limited amount of staff. These are the OPPOSITE of what you learn in vet school clinics where you are shown a highly idealized and impractical way of practicing veterinary medicine. I could go on about private practice but don't want to derail your thread. ;)

I didn't know banfield program was in such demand. I think I just applied and selected a few of their petsmart stores near my home and off I went. As for the experience, I did the program in the summer after my first year. The reason I did it was to learn more about WHY banfield was expanding and succeeding in opening tons of their clinics. Early on, I always had a desire/interest in being a private practice owner so I wanted to get an inside look at how they attract so many clients/pets. I also wanted to get more confident in "tech work" and learn a little about medical/surgical practice. Because I had realistic expectations, it was a very beneficial rotation for me. I really learned how they projected their competence, organization, and convenience to keep attracting clientele. Of course, I also learned about the usual GP cases like skin allergies, dental disease, ear infections, etc. and of course doing routine surgeries like spay/neuter/lumpectomy. Also, my mentor doctor had probably THE BEST bedside manner I've come across in our field. So I really got lucky and still use some of the things I learned from my mentor doctor. As for my practice, I also implemented things I came across banfield such as having touchscreen computers, a standard (but multi-modal/modern) anesthesia protocol that is organized and can be used by everyone in the hospital, and creating and implementing valuable wellness plans. I actually had a banfield client come in this past week that signed up her new puppy on my wellness plan and remarked how she preferred my clinic because everything is organized and transparent without the rigid corporate structure.
Another interesting thing I took away was how to run a very profitable clinic using about 1,000 sq foot of space and limited amount of staff. These are the OPPOSITE of what you learn in vet school clinics where you are shown a highly idealized and impractical way of practicing veterinary medicine. I could go on about private practice but don't want to derail your thread. ;)
I can't remember the specific statistics regarding the competition...but I think our student rep said somewhere in the 1000's applications for 300 or so spots. The questions I was asked made it pretty clear that this program is really, at the end of the day, hoping to recruit veterinary students to work for Banfield as DVMs. I was even asked if I had intentions of opening my own practice or not. I think I kind of blew the interview because some of the questions were rather confusing (or my interviewer was wording them weird), but we'll see.

If I get it, I'm hoping my experience is similar to what dyachei described hers as, but I understand 1st years are functioning more as assistants and do a bit less case discussing with the mentor.

Edit:
I had a very negative experience with the Banfield SJP, but it was all before the program even would have begun. After my initial interview with Banfield, I never heard from them again. Seriously, after so much time passed I finally started calling hospitals and trying to get ahold of the program reps and it turned out they either lost my file or just forgot to call me. I was informed that none of the locations I listed had openings anymore but to give them a list of other locations and they'd look into it and see if any of those places still had openings and get back to me. So I compiled a list of locations that were less than ideal but doable, sent it on to them, and again never heard back. At that point I gave up and got a job in an emergency clinic for the summer (paid better but stranger hours and less mentorship). So I have a negative view of the entire experience (reinforced by a classmate of mine who, according to Banfield's records, was offered a job and declined it even though she, like me, actually had never heard back from them. Her position was then given to someone else by the time she contacted them and sorted through the mess.)
Ugh, that sucks :( Our student rep was pretty honest and told us that sometimes they really drop the ball when it comes to communicating about this program. I was told we may very well have no news (good or bad) until March/April.

pinkpuppy9 have you heard anything from Banfield yet? I applied to and did my phone interview and still haven't heard anything! Just wondering if you are in the same boat?

pinkpuppy9 have you heard anything from Banfield yet? I applied to and did my phone interview and still haven't heard anything! Just wondering if you are in the same boat?
One of my classmates received a confirmation at least a month ago that she was accepted into the program.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

No, and I'm fairly certain I didn't get it. I did see a classmate filling out a Banfield questionnaire today, but whether or not it was for the SJP idk. That's what I get for creeping, lol. I haven't heard anyone say they were offered a spot, either.

No, and I'm fairly certain I didn't get it. I did see a classmate filling out a Banfield questionnaire today, but whether or not it was for the SJP idk. That's what I get for creeping, lol. I haven't heard anyone say they were offered a spot, either.

Sarah Jessica Parker?

If you are curious about your app status, contact your school ambassador and they can give you the email to the SJP / dvm student program people. Some offers have been extended but a friend of mine had not heard anything and emailed them last week to find out that she was getting a position.. Different regions (aka medical directors / practice managers) handle the hiring process a little different/ at a slower pace so it is definitely worth getting in touch with them to check your status!

If you are curious about your app status, contact your school ambassador and they can give you the email to the SJP / dvm student program people. Some offers have been extended but a friend of mine had not heard anything and emailed them last week to find out that she was getting a position.. Different regions (aka medical directors / practice managers) handle the hiring process a little different/ at a slower pace so it is definitely worth getting in touch with them to check your status!
Do it like yesterday. Don't be like me and wait and eventually find out they forgot about you.

Our rep also politely told us that in general, they can be very bad about letting you know where you stand (as in, if you don't receive an offer, you may never actually hear that you weren't selected). Pet peeve of mine.

Our rep also politely told us that in general, they can be very bad about letting you know where you stand (as in, if you don't receive an offer, you may never actually hear that you weren't selected). Pet peeve of mine.

I agree with their statements and it also bugs me a lot that that stuff happens. That's why I tell people to contact them because then they will tell you your status.. Otherwise, your name can get lost in the stack of hundreds of applicants. that wouldn't fly if I was in charge... But I'm just a lowly ambassador.

I just think it's ridiculous that this is clearly a problem throughout their program going on at least a few years now and they can't get it together and figure it out. It seriously doesn't take much to set up an automated "rejection" email to at least let applicants know. Or even a portal where they could check the status of the application. Banfield is big enough that this shouldn't be that difficult...

I just think it's ridiculous that this is clearly a problem throughout their program going on at least a few years now and they can't get it together and figure it out. It seriously doesn't take much to set up an automated "rejection" email to at least let applicants know. Or even a portal where they could check the status of the application. Banfield is big enough that this shouldn't be that difficult...
In my experiences applying for other things similar to this, the individual Banfields might select their top 2-3 applicants. So the #1 would get an offer, and the other 2 may never hear a rejection just in case #1 turns the offer down. Why you never hear a rejection if #1 accepts, I couldn't tell ya. KPowell might be able to say whether or not this is how it's run, but it's a system I've seen before.

It's my understanding that if you do receive an offer, they want your answer within a few days max, so you'd think that would expedite things.

I sent an email to check my status, so I'll see what they say. If I end up actually still in the running, I'll probably remove myself due to being one-armed for the summer.

I 100% agree. And unfortunately we as ambassadors take the brunt of it because we get emails from applicants like WTF is going on?!?! And our response is just to email the people in charge of DVM programs to get answers.

In my experiences applying for other things similar to this, the individual Banfields might select their top 2-3 applicants. So the #1 would get an offer, and the other 2 may never hear a rejection just in case #1 turns the offer down. Why you never hear a rejection if #1 accepts, I couldn't tell ya. KPowell might be able to say whether or not this is how it's run, but it's a system I've seen before.

It's my understanding that if you do receive an offer, they want your answer within a few days max, so you'd think that would expedite things.

I sent an email to check my status, so I'll see what they say. If I end up actually still in the running, I'll probably remove myself due to being one-armed for the summer.

Honestly I have no clue what they do... The only thing I do know is that different regions have different hiring processes... for example the medical director for STL (my boss) prefers to interview her applicants in person AFTER a phone interview - which slows down the process... in other parts of the country DVM programs controls the hiring via phone interviews only. It is a mess and I wish they would stream line the process so that people could hear yay or nay in a more timely manner.

I 100% agree. And unfortunately we as ambassadors take the brunt of it because we get emails from applicants like WTF is going on?!?! And our response is just to email the people in charge of DVM programs to get answers.

Honestly I have no clue what they do... The only thing I do know is that different regions have different hiring processes... for example the medical director for STL (my boss) prefers to interview her applicants in person AFTER a phone interview - which slows down the process... in other parts of the country DVM programs controls the hiring via phone interviews only. It is a mess and I wish they would stream line the process so that people could hear yay or nay in a more timely manner.
Any idea how long it could be for hearing back from the email I was giving by my rep?

Got a reply already! Apparently some of the decisions are taking longer than expected due to volume of applicants. Expect to hear within the next week to two weeks.

Got a reply already! Apparently some of the decisions are taking longer than expected due to volume of applicants. Expect to hear within the next week to two weeks.

Great! Make sure you follow up in 2 weeks- stay on them !!

Reactions: 1 users

I applied at some point..

Didn't hear forever. Classmates had interviews... I still never heard.

Sent a few emails ... Nothing.

Finally I get some email or call saying they want to interview me. Set up the phone interview. Do the interview.

Never hear back.

So yeah .... I felt like it was a great experience because it told me EVERYTHING I needed to know about that organization without having to work there to find out.

Reactions: 5 users
I applied at some point..

Didn't hear forever. Classmates had interviews... I still never heard.

Sent a few emails ... Nothing.

Finally I get some email or call saying they want to interview me. Set up the phone interview. Do the interview.

Never hear back.

So yeah .... I felt like it was a great experience because it told me EVERYTHING I needed to know about that organization without having to work there to find out.
This is how I'm feeling right now. Granted, I'm not particularly interested in being employed by Banfield as a doctor (not that I'd turn them down, but ya know), I was pursuing this as a summer job/experience. It was clear during my interview this is a program designed to find them their future DVMS as half of the questions were revolving around finding out how I'd work under authority/if I ever wanted to own my own practice.

I'm starting to hear that classmates have already accepted offers or been offered alternate locations, and I'm still waiting to hear a no. If you cannot tell me that I'm no longer being considered the moment my application hits the trash...that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I'm not a fan of the whole 'tell you at the end, if at all' thing.

I personally do not recommend working for Banfield if you can help it, or at least do some research and read some reviews of the specific location you're applying to. I was a customer service representative at a Banfield and I hated it. The animals were left in their kennels without food or water for up to twelve hours after being dropped off for something as simple as vaccines, and they weren't given any creature comforts such as blankets unless they were in the surgical ward. I once saw the manager lie to a customer's face, telling her that her dog had been "too scared" to eat when in fact they had just forgotten to feed him. I was expected to perform all the duties of a receptionist without completing the training, which led to a lot of unfortunate mistakes that made everyone angry. I eventually had to quit. My position was of course different from that of an intern, and every clinic is different, but I do think it says a lot about the quality of the company.

what makes you stand out as a good candidate to them ?