balancing out my posting karma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reddirtgirl

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
here's a little inspiration for the ones that could use a little lift...... not that you need a 64 cent bathroom book to tell you this:

Book of Ages: 30

you still have time to be a doctor
one plausible timeline........

1. sweat thru pre-med reqs in a post bac: 2yrs
2. attend medical school: 4yrs
3. open residency envelope: 2mins
4. fulfull residency requirement: 4yrs*
5.begin practice & debt repayment

age at completion 40yrs, 2mins

*[size=-2]varies... add a few for surgery.... is it true that you can be a GP w/only one year of internship? that just doesn't seem like enough training....[/size]

ya know, 40 just doesn't seem that old to me.... and to have missed out on life trying to do the med school rat race thing, immediately after undergrad, it would have never worked for me.

Members don't see this ad.

reddirtgirl said:
here's a little inspiration for the ones that could use a little lift...... not that you need a 64 cent bathroom book to tell you this:

Book of Ages: 30

you still have time to be a doctor
one plausible timeline........

1. sweat thru pre-med reqs in a post bac: 2yrs
2. attend medical school: 4yrs
3. open residency envelope: 2mins
4. fulfull residency requirement: 4yrs*
5.begin practice & debt repayment

age at completion 40yrs, 2mins

*[size=-2]varies... add a few for surgery.... is it true that you can be a GP w/only one year of internship? that just doesn't seem like enough training....[/size]

ya know, 40 just doesn't seem that old to me.... and to have missed out on life trying to do the med school rat race thing, immediately after undergrad, it would have never worked for me.

It's definitely not that old. Also keep in mind that if you don't give it a shot as a nontrad, then ten years and two minutes from now you will probably be kicking yourself, saying "you know, I could have been done by now..."

One of the pathologists I worked with for several years was 78 when she retired after 50 years of practice. I looked at her as what I still wanted to be doing when I was her age. One day, while we were "grossing", we were discussing medical school. She looked up from a uterus and said, "You've got two choices. You can either be 40 years old in medical school, or 40 years old, still wishing you were in medical school." I'm starting this fall at 36 years old!

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that star trek is a very worthy source of wisdom but I often think of some lines from Deep Space Nine. One of the characters complains that it would take them at least 10 years to learn Klingon and the reply was, how old will you be if you don't learn Klingon?

DrIng said:
I know that star trek is a very worthy source of wisdom but I often think of some lines from Deep Space Nine. One of the characters complains that it would take them at least 10 years to learn Klingon and the reply was, how old will you be if you don't learn Klingon?

There are other languages that would better serve you if you go into medicine (eg. Spanish), but if you want to learn Klingon, who am I to judge... :D