Bait and switch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curry curry

Reaction score
Anyone else experiencing any bait and switch in the job hunt these days?

I've now interviewed at multiple jobs in which I've gone to an interview, they say they really really like me and want to have me join, then within a day or two the job opportunity I interviewed for has mysteriously disappeared (they say they realized they actually don't have a need at that hospital or practice location) and instead they want me to take a position in their system at a much less desirable location and set-up.

What the ****.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone else experiencing any bait and switch in the job hunt these days?

I've now interviewed at multiple jobs in which I've gone to an interview, they say they really really like me and want to have me join, then within a day or two the job opportunity I interviewed for has mysteriously disappeared (they say they realized they actually don't have a need at that hospital or practice location) and instead they want me to take a position in their system at a much less desirable location and set-up.

What the ****.
I experienced that during my first job out of residency. I accepted a nocturnist position instead of a daytime position which I interviewed for as they said they had no daytime openings but will move me to dayshifts once something opened. That was a lie. There were a lot of dayshifts available. Once I accepted, the proceeded to underpay me by 20$ per hour. The day rounders salary was much higher than mine. There was excessive mobbing at the job. Lots of work was dumped on me by dayshifts. I would advise you to not take the bait and switch. If you accept to it, they would treat you worse when you sign. They are looking for a desperate person when they do this. Don’t fall for it. Keep looking. These employers are unethical if they can’t even advertise the opportunity honestly. What a shame.

Reactions: 9 users
I experienced that during my first job out of residency. I accepted a nocturnist position instead of a daytime position which I interviewed for as they said they had no daytime openings but will move me to dayshifts once something opened. That was a lie. There were a lot of dayshifts available. Once I accepted, the proceeded to underpay me by 20$ per hour. The day rounders salary was much higher than mine. There was excessive mobbing at the job. Lots of work was dumped on me by dayshifts. I would advise you to not take the bait and switch. If you accept to it, they would treat you worse when you sign. They are looking for a desperate person when they do this. Don’t fall for it. Keep looking. These employers are unethical if they can’t even advertise the opportunity honestly. What a shame.

So much lying and manipulation. These in house physician recruiters have no shame.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

The day and night shift rates should have been in your contract prior to starting. I assume you found out the rate they gave you was lower after you started?

Reactions: 1 user
The day and night shift rates should have been in your contract prior to starting. I assume you found out the rate they gave you was lower after you started?

They offered me a much lower rate because by accepting their bait and switch, I told them I was desperate for a job. Then after I started working, I learnt that the daytime providers were earning 125/h for day shift and 140/h for nights. I was earning 104 for days and 120 for nights. They also delayed my start date by another 1 month which meant I now had a large gap in my employment and had no alternative but to take their job for 1.5 years. The purpose is a bait and switch is to find a desperate individual who will accept their BS. No one should take it. Please keep looking.

Reactions: 1 users
They offered me a much lower rate because by accepting their bait and switch, I told them I was desperate for a job. Then after I started working, I learnt that the daytime providers were earning 125/h for day shift and 140/h for nights. I was earning 104 for days and 120 for nights.

Why were they paying you less? Because of your previous disciplinary issue?

They offered me a much lower rate because by accepting their bait and switch, I told them I was desperate for a job. Then after I started working, I learnt that the daytime providers were earning 125/h for day shift and 140/h for nights. I was earning 104 for days and 120 for nights. They also delayed my start date by another 1 month which meant I now had a large gap in my employment and had no alternative but to take their job for 1.5 years. The purpose is a bait and switch is to find a desperate individual who will accept their BS. No one should take it. Please keep looking.
That isn’t bait and switch… that you not doing your due diligence…
Did you look to see what others were making at that facility? Did you talk to the other hospitalists?
The lesson here, is make sure you find out as much as possible about a place, and negotiate for what you want and need.

Reactions: 7 users
Why were they paying you less? Because of your previous disciplinary issue?
I honestly did not know how much the pay was supposed to be. Quite frankly, I believe that everyone doing the same job should earn the same. I guess I was very naive. I thought that people will thrive to do the right thing. I learnt a lot from that job and the whole thing left me always bitter and suspicious of recruiters and others in the medical field and people in general. It was an expensive life lesson but I learnt it. I don't know what you mean by disciplinary issue. I think I also did not start applying for jobs until after I graduated. So, I made a lot of mistakes. The point I am making is that they would never have thought about cheating me out of money if I had not accepted the nocturnist role instead of the role I interviewed for.

That isn’t bait and switch… that you not doing your due diligence…
Did you look to see what others were making at that facility? Did you talk to the other hospitalists?
The lesson here, is make sure you find out as much as possible about a place, and negotiate for what you want and need.
that is true. but everyone was lying at the job. If I had not seen someone contract (they forgot their contract in call room), I would never have known. I am definitely more careful in my job negotiation and I now have a low threshold to leave a job. I wish I had left the job sooner or worked less. Then they would have stolen less money from me. Anyway, I know I am not the only one that has fallen for something like this. That is why I am sharing my experience. That way, no other naive person falls for it.

the point I am making here guys is that one should never accept a switch and bait. it shows desperation. If they cannot even advertise the position correctly, then they are unethical and are more likely do more malicious things down the line.

I think your story, and warning, are helpful to others. Although it seems easy to "walk" from an offer like this, I can imagine that if a new grad is looking for a job, has let other offers go because they have picked one, and then late in the process gets a switch like this -- it could be hard to just move on. At that point, you'd probably end up with a period of time with no salary at all while you look for a new job, and that would be a real problem.

Reactions: 3 users
Just as a FYI, just because a hospital has day shifts available doesn't necessarily mean they have a day time position available. If you've seen an add for it or they just hired a day person- fair enough.

However, it can sometimes take significant beaurocracy and red tape for admin to approve a brand new FTE. It's much simpler to get a "oh crap census is so high we'll take any help we can get" approved.

Just as a FYI, just because a hospital has day shifts available doesn't necessarily mean they have a day time position available. If you've seen an add for it or they just hired a day person- fair enough.

However, it can sometimes take significant beaurocracy and red tape for admin to approve a brand new FTE. It's much simpler to get a "oh crap census is so high we'll take any help we can get" approved.
They did have dayshifts (multiple dayshifts actually) and I had applied for the dayshifts. Once I got there, they were still hiring for dayshifts. The program director said that if I tried the night shift and it did not work, then they will move me to days. I was really stupid to think that they will be honest. This was a CMH group. When I was about to leave the job, he sent me a message stating that they will move me to dayshifts n that I should not accept my other job contract. A week later, he requested that I don’t sign my new job contract. That the program was still working to change my contract to dayshifts. I had already signed my new job’s contract. The last two months (which I agreed to stay and work since my credentialing was not completed) was hell. 3 weeks prior to me leaving, (after my schedule had been made), he let me know that everyone got a pay raise (except me) to encourage them to do nights. On my last week, he tried to convince me to stay because I’ll see “diverse pathology as it was a university hospital”. 6 months after I left, the group lost the contract. A recruiter from the company also called me around that time claiming that she had seen my profile on practicelink and wanted to find out if I wanted to work for them. Smh.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
They did have dayshifts (multiple dayshifts actually) and I had applied for the dayshifts. Once I got there, they were still hiring for dayshifts. The program director said that if I tried the night shift and it did not work, then they will move me to days. I was really stupid to think that they will be honest. This was a CMH group. When I was about to leave the job, he sent me a message stating that they will move me to dayshifts n that I should not accept my other job contract. A week later, he requested that I don’t sign my new job contract. That the program was still working to change my contract to dayshifts. I had already signed my new job’s contract. The last two months (which I agreed to stay and work since my credentialing was not completed) was hell. 3 weeks prior to me leaving, (after my schedule had been made), he let me know that everyone got a pay raise (except me) to encourage them to do nights. On my last week, he tried to convince me to stay because I’ll see “diverse pathology as it was a university hospital”. 6 months after I left, the group lost the contract. A recruiter from the company also called me around that time claiming that she had seen my profile on practicelink and wanted to find out if I wanted to work for them. Smh.
update: several recruiters have reached out to me to do locum work on my off week. This CMH (SP) has a position that the recruiter wanted to present me to. The going rate for this position was 190/h given that I have found info. Can you believe that this CMH group asked my recruiter to ask me if I would be willing to work for less? 3 years after they cheated me out of so much money? They lack basic integrity. I was not even serious about it but it was closer to my house and I was really interested to see if they would still try to pay me less. I made it very clear to my recruiter that I would not lower my rate. I am sure they would pay others higher than pay me a fair wage. They stole over 80k from me and they are hungry to steal more. Be careful of dealing with this company. I still see them posting jobs. I don't even know why they keep getting contracts.

Can you believe that this CMH group asked my recruiter to ask me if I would be willing to work for less? 3 years after they cheated me out of so much money?

Yes, I can believe it. They likely don't remember screwing you, but 'screwing' physicians is their standard practice.

Just watch out for yourself. Get what you want/need, or find something else.

update: several recruiters have reached out to me to do locum work on my off week. This CMH (SP) has a position that the recruiter wanted to present me to. The going rate for this position was 190/h given that I have found info. Can you believe that this CMH group asked my recruiter to ask me if I would be willing to work for less? 3 years after they cheated me out of so much money? They lack basic integrity. I was not even serious about it but it was closer to my house and I was really interested to see if they would still try to pay me less. I made it very clear to my recruiter that I would not lower my rate. I am sure they would pay others higher than pay me a fair wage. They stole over 80k from me and they are hungry to steal more. Be careful of dealing with this company. I still see them posting jobs. I don't even know why they keep getting contracts.
Similar situation. friend of mine and I interviewed for the same job. He got an offer (he ended up declined) but they told me after my interview they weren’t looking to hire and moved on. They were clearly lying. 5 years later get a message from recruiter asking if I was interested.

Key message in this thread: look for jobs very early. Don’t be like me and above poster and wait last minute desperate for a job. If they sense desperation from you, they will for sure, without shame, screw you over without an afterthought.