BadAss Clinical Pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RxRai2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a last year Pharmacy Student who is going to graduate in May. I am going to MidYear, and plan on applying to a PGY1 Residency program(s) that place an emphasis on Acute Care/Trauma ER. Is there any Acute Care/Trauma ER pharmacist on SDN and if so, where did you do your residency, if you did one, do you have any recommendations or advice for me? and most importantly what is a typical day for you like?
ThnX

Members don't see this ad.

I am a last year Pharmacy Student who is going to graduate in May. I am going to MidYear, and plan on applying to a PGY1 Residency program(s) that place an emphasis on Acute Care/Trauma ER. Is there any Acute Care/Trauma ER pharmacist on SDN and if so, where did you do your residency, if you did one, do you have any recommendations or advice for me? and most importantly what is a typical day for you like?
ThnX

check your PMs

check your PMs

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you looking at a specific geographical area?

Are you looking at a specific geographical area?

No, Im single, No Kids, Kinda young lol. I just want it to be the best possible program, that places more of a focus on acute care, trauma, ER, ICU b/c thats what I like.

No, Im single, No Kids, Kinda young lol. I just want it to be the best possible program, that places more of a focus on acute care, trauma, ER, ICU b/c thats what I like.

Dang, NJAC, I wanna know too :(.

Look for programs with PGY-2 in critical care or emergency medicine. You would hope they have the volume and acuity if they have a specialty...

Look for programs with PGY-2 in critical care or emergency medicine. You would hope they have the volume and acuity if they have a specialty...

Places with level 1 trauma centers.

Places with level 1 trauma centers.

that too, but I interviewed at a couple Level 1 Trauma Centers that had zero pharmacy input in the ED or for traumas.

Yet the Level 2 Trauma Center where I ended up, we respond to every single trauma that rolls in the door.

that too, but I interviewed at a couple Level 1 Trauma Centers that had zero pharmacy input in the ED or for traumas.

Yet the Level 2 Trauma Center where I ended up, we respond to every single trauma that rolls in the door.

Please elaborate =-)

What does a pharmacist do in the ER?
Aren't clinical pharmacists go around rooms and check/monitor their drugs/dosages, etc.?

:)

What does a pharmacist do in the ER?
Aren't clinical pharmacists go around rooms and check/monitor their drugs/dosages, etc.?

:)

I 'pre-round' with the icu attending at night and go through all the admission orders/meds. We take care of patients in the ICUs of 2 campuses from a third campus, remotely 'online' at night. I also process all overnight orders from all ICUs.

i'm not a pharmacist, yet only a p1 but i just want to say we had a trauma/ER pharmacist come in and give a lecture/talk about ER pharmacist and the way he made it, it can be very hectic and crazy at times(which is good or bad depending on your take) for example he said during one Halloween a patient came in looking like a pile of mud after going over 100mph on a motorcycle and getting in an accident. The staff was low because it was really really late and so he had to go in and do a lot of stuff that wasn't "necessary in my job description." He was saying how the physician was yelling atropine/epinephrine left and right and when the meds weren't working the physician cut the guy's chest open, and put his hand literally on to the guy's heart to pump for him but sadly he didnt' survive. I'm sure he wasn't exaggerating about the event. I'm sure its a great subfield but not my particualr taste in clinical pharmacy as of right now. :D

Also he said it was tough to get in his seat because he literally had to convince the ER department that having a clinical pharmacist had a dramatic impact on the patient outcome than without one during his PGY1 year, i think he said it was his final project or something. Best of luck.

what do you want to know?

How are you liking this critical care residency??? That stuff was pretty interesting in therapeutics.... What kind of hours does a critical care pharmacist work???

Ok, I'm a guy interested in being a physician (family practice and emergency medince were my interests due to the generality of the fields) with a recent interest of sorts in pharmacy. Idk. Just another way to complicate life I guess. At any rate, I'm really curious about what a pharmacist does in the clinical setting. I've never seen one, and I've rotated through a lot of departments as a paramedic student and later a paramedic.

I've read some pharmacy school course descriptions that make me feel like pharmacy students are learning patient assessment skills and a few procedures as well as working in various fields of medicine, i.e. the ER, as this thread implies, as well as others. I've seen some even getting the option of participating in ACLS. What's the deal? It's kinda cool.