Bad Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dwarfplanet

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started this year with a cumulative GPA of 3.76 and finished with a 3.64. I got a C in Orgo 2 and a B- in Biochem. I have other B’s sprinkled throughout my transcript. I’m taking the MCAT in a few weeks, so I don’t have a score for you.

I feel very defeated. I’ve never gotten grades like this and I’m pretty far along in undergrad now. I know it doesn’t look good. It’s not that I didn’t try (I actually made a scantron transcription error on one of my Biochem tests that lost me half a letter grade in the class and the prof wasn’t forgiving of it — really dumb mistake).

My question is, what now? Do I retake Orgo 2 and replace the C? Do I take extra science classes than I need to boost my GPA, or just finish my last year and see where it ends up?

I think if I had an amazing next year I could still get a 3.7, but does it still look too bad to have these low grades in my pre-reqs? My science GPA can’t be too stellar either.

Members don't see this ad.

The year that one takes organic chem is always the year with the lowest GPA. I've got 15 years of data (in my head) showing this to be true.
The C in organic will be a very tiny part of your overall gpa by the time you apply, particularly if you don't apply until your senior year grades are in (planned gap year strategy). Retaking will not help very much, particulalry given that the DO schools no longer grade replace.
Don't give up. Onward!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
I started this year with a cumulative GPA of 3.76 and finished with a 3.64. I got a C in Orgo 2 and a B- in Biochem. I have other B’s sprinkled throughout my transcript. I’m taking the MCAT in a few weeks, so I don’t have a score for you.

I feel very defeated. I’ve never gotten grades like this and I’m pretty far along in undergrad now. I know it doesn’t look good. It’s not that I didn’t try (I actually made a scantron transcription error on one of my Biochem tests that lost me half a letter grade in the class and the prof wasn’t forgiving of it — really dumb mistake).

My question is, what now? Do I retake Orgo 2 and replace the C? Do I take extra science classes than I need to boost my GPA, or just finish my last year and see where it ends up?

I think if I had an amazing next year I could still get a 3.7, but does it still look too bad to have these low grades in my pre-reqs? My science GPA can’t be too stellar either.
I can imagine how you are feeling. This past summer I got a B in a Biostat course and a B- in Physics 2 :(. That killed my GPA and now I regret being as lazy and distracted as I was then. I got a B this past semester in Orgo as well. My GPA is actually identical to yours. It sucks to not get A or A- as a perfectionist premed like you and me. The worst part was that my failure was strictly a work ethic issue; waking up late to class and skipping MANY times and not doing my HW on time.

The key is to slap yourself in the face and commit to doing better. I MUST get A's with the exception of an A- here or there in order to be competitive; same for you pretty much. You need to make academics your number one priority and learn from mistakes.

Finally, KILL the MCAT. A 3.7 and 520 looks better than a 4.0 and 509, any day of the week. If MCAT studying is all your doing these next weeks, make it your full. time. job. Like, wake up at 8 and go the nicest library in the area and camp out for 8 to 9 hours. Make this your priority, it will counterbalance your GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The year that one takes organic chem is always the year with the lowest GPA. I've got 15 years of data (in my head) showing this to be true.
The C in organic will be a very tiny part of your overall gpa by the time you apply, particularly if you don't apply until your senior year grades are in (planned gap year strategy). Retaking will not help very much, particulalry given that the DO schools nolonger grade replace.
Don't give up. Onward!

Thank you for the reply! This made me feel a bit better today. Think I won't retake then, I'll just keep doing my best.

I can imagine how you are feeling. This past summer I got a B in a Biostat course and a B- in Physics 2 :(. That killed my GPA and now I regret being as lazy and distracted as I was then. I got a B this past semester in Orgo as well. My GPA is actually identical to yours. It sucks to not get A or A- as a perfectionist premed like you and me. The worst part was that my failure was strictly a work ethic issue; waking up late to class and skipping MANY times and not doing my HW on time.

The key is to slap yourself in the face and commit to doing better. I MUST get A's with the exception of an A- here or there in order to be competitive; same for you pretty much. You need to make academics your number one priority and learn from mistakes.

Finally, KILL the MCAT. A 3.7 and 520 looks better than a 4.0 and 509, any day of the week. If MCAT studying is all your doing these next weeks, make it your full. time. job. Like, wake up at 8 and go the nicest library in the area and camp out for 8 to 9 hours. Make this your priority, it will counterbalance your GPA.

I feel for you! Sorry to hear you're experiencing the same thing.

MCAT is definitely my main priority right now. You're absolutely right about those stats being more impressive, and thank goodness that we have the opportunity to get them. It's a lot of pressure to be in this position, but I think as perfectionists we'd be aiming for 520 even if we had a 4.0, am I right? ;)

Wishing us both the best this next year! Thanks for the encouragement :)

I feel for you! Sorry to hear you're experiencing the same thing.

MCAT is definitely my main priority right now. You're absolutely right about those stats being more impressive, and thank goodness that we have the opportunity to get them. It's a lot of pressure to be in this position, but I think as perfectionists we'd be aiming for 520 even if we had a 4.0, am I right? ;)

Wishing us both the best this next year! Thanks for the encouragement :)
Glad to see the positive spirits and enthusiasms. Lets make that 528! ;)