Bad semester...will it hurt me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Halo13

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having a really bad semester (it's my first semester as an Animal Science/pre-vet major) Two classes are really hurting me right now (planning on retaking them ASAP). I have probably about 2-3 years left in undergrad (technically I'm a junior but I changed majors last year). Will one bad semester hurt me or will I be ok if I redo both of the classes that are hurting me.

Members don't see this ad.

I really don't think one bad semester will hurt you too badly this early in the game but you are going to want to step it up in order to maintain a competitive GPA. If you don't do well in some intro/ lower division science course but get A's in the upper division classes I think it proves that you have learned the basic material and grown from your first semester. Hope that helps!

My last semester of undergrad was pretty bad. I had alwasy gotten As and Bs, but it was our "make-or-break year" (I was a Biochem major -somehow they save the hardest stuff till senior year!)

Plus I was working two part time jobs (stupid stupid). I ended up with Bs, one C, and one D- :eek: in P-chem.

If you are very worried about it you can do what I did - write a little supplemental letter with your application explaining why you had a bad semester. I told them that I was well aware of the emphasis they placed on grades, but that I had made a bad choice in choosing to work so much, and that I had *learned * from the experience and was dropping work hours to concentrate more on studies. If you were changing majors, etc I am sure they will understand. Everyone has an "oops" semester, it isn't a death sentence.

You guys put my mind at ease...for now haha. Thanks! :D