Bad Post-bac vs. bad Caribbean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sydoc95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that post-bac's vs. Caribbean schools is a rehashed topic here but most of these posts are talking about the Big 4 and the more well-know/respected post-bacs such as Goucher, Scripps, etc. I was wondering about if your only choices were the bad ones. I got accepted into St. James which has a lot of conflicting opinions and Northwestern Health Sciences University Post-bac. Btw it's not Northwestern Post-bac. That's much better than NWHSU. I applied to other post-bacs and MS Biomedical sciences programs. I am still waiting for the results but I am pretty sure it is going to be a no. Forget about SMPs or anything else because my GPA just doesn't cut it.

My question is I am thinking maybe go to defer St. James for an year and half, go to NWHSU which is like 15 months long and apply to US DO or MD schools and if I still don't get in anywhere US then go to St. James. The numbers are getting bad for IMG's but I still think it is a better chance than not going anywhere right? Or do you think this is just a waste of time and go straight to St. James or get a job and forget medical school? Right now my choices are which bad program do I choose?

Members don't see this ad.

I would avoid any bad caribean schools. Even top 4 or big 4 are being considered risky. As for post bac programs, idk what your stats are. If you can get into a program, I'm sure you can get into more respective programs.

I would avoid any bad caribean schools. Even top 4 or big 4 are being considered risky. As for post bac programs, idk what your stats are. If you can get into a program, I'm sure you can get into more respective programs.

I have a 2.0 but I can probably bring it up to 2.2 by graduation and I had an MCAT of 502. The post-bac programs I was thinking about was Northwestern Health Sciences which was originally a chiropractic school or UNCG which doesn't even look at my GPA nor is a formal program. From what the websites say, I am having a positive feeling about the schools but I don't know if it is worth it... Does any one have any programs (post-bac or anything else) that you think I can apply to?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you matriculate at a Carib school, you can almost certainly write off any hope of getting into a US school.

Med school generally gives you one shot, and one shot only. There are a lot of people trying for these seats, and giving one to someone who didn't make their best of a first chance is not usually something that happens.

A 2.0?

No. Just no.

Here is what you do... if you are actually academically capable, you need to retake every course where you got below a C. And, from the sound of it, maybe a few Cs, too. Take them at community college or where ever you can get credit for them and take them over and get As. If you convert a few Ds and Fs to As and Bs, you may be able to get up into a 3.0+ range in just a semester or two, and that would make you remotely competitive for DO schools.

Do not run to the Caribbean. Do not try to find an SMP or formal post-bacc to help you put a band-aid on that gaping wound in your transcripts. Retake the lowest grades and bring them up.

If you aren't academically capable, if 2.0 really represents what you are capable of, no school that accepts you is doing you any favors. They are going to take your money and wash you out. That is what they do, and you sound like you are a prime mark for that scam.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok so I am thinking that Carib is just too much of a risk for me now. I applied to AUC and if I get into it - though probably into their MERP - I might go there depending on cost. Otherwise I am going to try to take an year or two of post-bac and then apply for a SMP with linkage, DO schools and PA schools. Even if I take more than a year or two undergrad credits, with the number of credits I have taken there is pretty much a ceiling. If I still don't get into anywhere then I will just use that master's to try to find a job. Does that sound like a good plan?

Do you want to go into primary care? The answer better be 100% yes because that's all you're getting.