"bad" mspe, chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YoungPsychDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically my deans aren't supporting my decision to apply to residency, and they are going to say as much on my MSPE. Is this a deal breaker for residency apps? The rest of my application is pretty good and I've already received a couple of interview offers. The deans' rationale is that I missed too many rotations (2) due to personal illness and that I'm not ready in their eyes. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Basically my deans aren't supporting my decision to apply to residency, and they are going to say as much on my MSPE. Is this a deal breaker for residency apps? The rest of my application is pretty good and I've already received a couple of interview offers. The deans' rationale is that I missed too many rotations (2) due to personal illness and that I'm not ready in their eyes. Thanks.

You've probably received offers because that Dean's letter isn't available yet. I'd wait for aPD's take on this situation, because it sounds like you are playing with fire.

I don't even understand why they would let you graduate medical school without making up those 2 rotations. How in the world did you get out of not having to make those rotations up? You've had a few months since 4th year began and 8 more months before you even graduate so how can you get away with not doing 2 core rotations?

And yes, I think if the deans write on your mspe that they do not feel you are ready for residency it will dramatically hurt your chances at matching. Are you a US grad or IMG or carib grad?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to hear about this. It is weird that they'll let you graduate from their school if they feel you aren't ready to be a doctor yet. Isn't there some way you can have the change the letter to be more neutral and just make up the rotations you lost time in during your fourth year?

Can you give more details OP? It is strange that they would not support your residency application, it reflects poorly on the school if a student does not match well.

I was sick on two rotations and got incompletes. They have concerns about my health not being good enough for residency.

I was sick on two rotations and got incompletes. They have concerns about my health not being good enough for residency.

I assume you eventually "completed" those rotations. In any case I do not believe residencies can discriminate because of your health history. However if they mention it in the mspe then you should as well in your personal statement. Also, I think you need to seriously consider whether your health could be an issue. Residencies may see it as a problem fyi because your transcript will show the incomplete at least at first and you will have to explain why it won't affect you.

I haven't made them up yet but they are rescheduled. They are both 4th year rotations. 4th year is hard!

lmao that made my day

it seems commonplace that when people say that they missed certain fundamentally important things like cliniical rotations due to personal illness, its never because of a heart attack or severed leg, but its usually because of depression or some other mental disorder.

remember hells kitchen. that guy broke his hand, yet still managed to win the entire thing. go figure.

it seems commonplace that when people say that they missed certain fundamentally important things like cliniical rotations due to personal illness, its never because of a heart attack or severed leg, but its usually because of depression or some other mental disorder.

remember hells kitchen. that guy broke his hand, yet still managed to win the entire thing. go figure.

Are you implying that a mental disorder can't interfere with schoolwork?

it's just an anecdote trying to impress some humor. Apparently, I have failed.

Are you implying that a mental disorder can't interfere with schoolwork?

Mental disorder CAN interfere with school work just as it CAN interfere with a physicians responsibilities. Regardless of whether it's justified or not, I cannot trust physicians with mental disorders the same way I do other physicians. Depression maybe. When we start to get into bipolar and schizophrenia, too much is at stake.

Mental disorder CAN interfere with school work just as it CAN interfere with a physicians responsibilities. Regardless of whether it's justified or not, I cannot trust physicians with mental disorders the same way I do other physicians. Depression maybe. When we start to get into bipolar and schizophrenia, too much is at stake.

We just took a detour. We don't even know if that was the OP's problem.

They aren't going to let me graduate if I have any more absences.