This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted930626

So I don't want to go into too much detail, but basically I studied full-time for 2 months this summer without any distractions. I got 500 on my first AAMC FL and then 504 on my second AAMC FL (three days before the test).

Just got my score back today and I got a 498... I bombed the science sections but did well on P/S and cars. However, I had never gotten a score below 500 on any of my practice tests (I also took a few Nextstep ones when I first started studying).

Clearly I did something wrong so I'm not really sure what to do now. I'm applying next cycle so at least I have a whole year to retake (on top of my senior year of college) but I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong because I'm feeling super discouraged. I only want MD schools and I know I can get a better score so I'm just disappointed in myself right now. I guess nerves got the best of me?

Does anyone have any tips for retaking? When should I retake? What prep materials should I use? I already did all the Kaplan and Examkracker books.

Any words of encouragement? :(

Members don't see this ad.

Based on your score, I recommend spending more time on content review. I am not a big fan of Kaplan material. I personally used TBR for all prep except for P/S. I used TPR hyperlearning book for CARS and TPR P/S and Khan 300 page for P/S. Also, 2 months, in my opinion is not enough time to study for the MCAT and don't take another course. I recommend taking the summer+a few months off after your senior year and study without any other responsibility, even if that means 2 years off. Don't give up hope. Mentality is key.

Also, MAKE SURE YOU TIME EVERYTHING.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you take any other practice exams besides the 2 AAMC exams? work on content for a while longer and make sure to drill questions throughout. The AAMC is just as much a test of passage analysis as it is a test of content so you need to make sure you are learning how to interpret passages (this is especially true for the sciences sections). Read the thread on 509+ study habits. There are lots of good tips there.

Expect to study 40-50 hours per point that you want to improve. In other words, if you want to score a 508 you should study for 400-500 hours.

Did you take any other practice exams besides the 2 AAMC exams? work on content for a while longer and make sure to drill questions throughout. The AAMC is just as much a test of passage analysis as it is a test of content so you need to make sure you are learning how to interpret passages (this is especially true for the sciences sections). Read the thread on 509+ study habits. There are lots of good tips there.

Expect to study 40-50 hours per point that you want to improve. In other words, if you want to score a 508 you should study for 400-500 hours.

Yes, I took multiple Kaplan exams as well and did all the AAMC section banks and practice questions.

Thanks for your advice! I'm thinking of retaking it in January so that I have enough time to improve.

Yes, I took multiple Kaplan exams as well and did all the AAMC section banks and practice questions.

Thanks for your advice! I'm thinking of retaking it in January so that I have enough time to improve.

I didn't think the Kaplan FLs were that good other than to work on timing. The free Next Step FL is very good IMO, do the remaining AAMC FLs (if you have any left) closer to January and make sure to review all of the tests thoroughly. Keep using AAMC questions to gauge how you are doing along the way. I would do little mini exams composed of 70-80 questions covering C/P, CARS, B/B, and P/S using AAMC questions.

Would recommend you spend at LEAST 4-6 months really studying since you have a whole year anyway there's no rush. I would get TBR as they are the most in depth content review with the most practice passages and take your time going through it. It is very dense and takes hours to complete 1 chapter but you have a whole year so you'll be fine.

I second exactly what RealBatman suggests plus adding in EK CARS. I was suppose to get a 504 according to my advisor and ended up getting a 516, so I'm pretty psyched about how that combination works.

C/P: TBR chemistry, organic, and physics
CARS: TPR and EK
B/B: TBR passages and video review
P/S: TPR and the 300 page doc