Bad idea for me to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jt6234

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alrighty y'all, buckle in because this post is going to be a RIDE.

I am going to graduate from an unnamed prestigious undergrad in May 2022 with a foreign language degree. My grades in my language classes are excellent (major GPA around 3.85) and my cGPA is about 3.5 .... but .... my sGPA is pretty dismal. Like REALLY dismal because I failed a science class my first year of college. I had a very difficult 1st year of college due to undiagnosed chronic illness (many many medical Ws) and a podiatrist was actually the one who noticed and helped me get diagnosed - I've had a MASSIVE upward trend since then overall but at this point in terms of science/math have only taken 1 semester of calc, 1 year of biology, and 1 year of chemistry (but the chemistry credits come from AP, which is on my transcript but does not confer a GPA). Anyway, my sGPA now is 2.78 (crying) with the original 0.0 in bio and a 3.7 retake + 3.7 in bio 2 + 3.7 in calc 1. The only prerequisites I have left to complete are the year of physics and the year of orgo, which I could easily fit into my senior year schedule, and even if I needed to take genchem for a grade I could do that this summer. I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but recently took a practice test from AAMC with 1 week of studying and scored a 494 (127 on CARS, 123 on psych, and 122 on the other two sections). I have a solid amount of clinical experience from scribing and hospital volunteering and about 25 hours of pod shadowing (but could certainly increase that if it would give me a better shot). Also significant volunteer experience related to my major, worked 30 hrs a week through undergrad, etc. etc. but if anyone wants more info I'm happy to provide it.

Anyway, my question is - would it be absolutely insane for me to apply to pod school for entrance in fall 2022? Really, my main concern is everything related to science. I really think that I have a solid and competitive application outside of that, but obviously potential in science is a very important part of both admissions and ability to succeed once in school. I believe I can and will succeed in both physics and orgo because I've built strong study skills and have the motivation to perform, but at the time of application (depending on when that would be) I might not even have either of those grades on my transcript. I don't know if my three BCPM 3.7 grades are enough to show an admissions committee that I am capable of success in intensive science study.

It's not that I'm opposed to taking a gap year, because if I need to I will, but it would really make everything easier if I could get my classes done with while still an undergrad student/have my recommending professors close to me, etc. Also, I'd just really love to start my studies as soon as possible.

Please let me know your thoughts!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Finish your science courses. Score as high as you can in them. They should be enough to bump up your sGPA.

No, it is not out of the question for you to apply. Just realize- your application numbers wise will be much lower than it could be.

There is nothing wrong with applying near tail end of your next school year. Advantages: your sGPA will be up (work your ass off. No excuses), you will have had that year to work on the MCAT and take it without being distracted or feeling rush.

And the year that you apply, you will also have 1 year of doing whatever it is your heart desires, because I guarantee you, you will not get that time back. Ever. So use it to travel, work, do hobbies etc.

TLDR; still possible to apply for upcoming cycle. More valuable to hold off 1 year, get A in sciences + MCAT prep + spend 1 year during application to treat yourself. Don't rush the process. You'll miss out on life and maturity.

Reactions: 1 users
Finish your science courses. Score as high as you can in them. They should be enough to bump up your sGPA.

No, it is not out of the question for you to apply. Just realize- your application numbers wise will be much lower than it could be.

There is nothing wrong with applying near tail end of your next school year. Advantages: your sGPA will be up (work your ass off. No excuses), you will have had that year to work on the MCAT and take it without being distracted or feeling rush.

And the year that you apply, you will also have 1 year of doing whatever it is your heart desires, because I guarantee you, you will not get that time back. Ever. So use it to travel, work, do hobbies etc.

TLDR; still possible to apply for upcoming cycle. More valuable to hold off 1 year, get A in sciences + MCAT prep + spend 1 year during application to treat yourself. Don't rush the process. You'll miss out on life and maturity.
I see what you're saying with the extra time and I was thinking pretty much the same thing in terms of sGPA. The fun thing with me is that I'm young with nothing tying me to any particular location/school, so even if I got into only one school, whichever one that might be, I'd be super happy to attend. Maybe a good idea would be to apply as soon as I get my first semester grades from next year (so around January)? In the pod cycle I definitely don't think that's too late and I would have two more science grades by then, potentially three. So barring any truly bad grades, I'd likely crack a 3.0 sGPA. And I hope I'd know decisions within a couple of months, so I'd be able to finish my undergrad relatively stress-free and spend part of the summer doing absolutely anything I please.

I think if I keep studying a bit every day until October-ish and take the MCAT then my score will hopefully be fairly competitive. I know it seems like I'm in a rush, and I guess a part of me is. There's just really nothing else that I'd rather be doing, to be honest. Getting the opportunity to spend undergrad taking all of these foreign language classes (I'm fluent in Russian and Arabic now!!)/being in a place I absolutely LOVE and exploring a new city has seriously been the highlight of my life, and while it's been quite difficult at times I've also never had more fun. If I'm not able to gain admission to a school for 2022 entrance, then that's what's meant to be, and I'll find some way to spend that year doing something else that I'm sure will be great. I just really want to give myself a shot in the upcoming cycle and I think I'd regret it if I didn't, but I also see that's an uphill battle considering my numbers (hence my "am I insane is this insane" question). Maybe it should be the other way around - not waiting would be the regret - but of what I know about myself and my goals and study style etc. direct entrance would be the best route for me (I really don't do well with long breaks from school).

I see what you're saying with the extra time and I was thinking pretty much the same thing in terms of sGPA. The fun thing with me is that I'm young with nothing tying me to any particular location/school, so even if I got into only one school, whichever one that might be, I'd be super happy to attend. Maybe a good idea would be to apply as soon as I get my first semester grades from next year (so around January)? In the pod cycle I definitely don't think that's too late and I would have two more science grades by then, potentially three. So barring any truly bad grades, I'd likely crack a 3.0 sGPA. And I hope I'd know decisions within a couple of months, so I'd be able to finish my undergrad relatively stress-free and spend part of the summer doing absolutely anything I please.

I think if I keep studying a bit every day until October-ish and take the MCAT then my score will hopefully be fairly competitive. I know it seems like I'm in a rush, and I guess a part of me is. There's just really nothing else that I'd rather be doing, to be honest. Getting the opportunity to spend undergrad taking all of these foreign language classes (I'm fluent in Russian and Arabic now!!)/being in a place I absolutely LOVE and exploring a new city has seriously been the highlight of my life, and while it's been quite difficult at times I've also never had more fun. If I'm not able to gain admission to a school for 2022 entrance, then that's what's meant to be, and I'll find some way to spend that year doing something else that I'm sure will be great. I just really want to give myself a shot in the upcoming cycle and I think I'd regret it if I didn't, but I also see that's an uphill battle considering my numbers (hence my "am I insane is this insane" question). Maybe it should be the other way around - not waiting would be the regret - but of what I know about myself and my goals and study style etc. direct entrance would be the best route for me (I really don't do well with long breaks from school).
That's fair. Different backgrounds for different folks.

Start applying soon as cycle opens. Don't wait until January then.

Reactions: 1 user