Bad high school grades

Brandonmma

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This year my grades have really improved
I have a 72% average (best in my class) and now I'm finding out that they are horrible
I'm in my senior year of high school and I'm worried , I have even been thinking about taking monafinil to help improve my performance

Members don't see this ad.

High school means nothing when it comes to medical school. Just get into a half-decent college and you'll be fine. Hell, I dropped out and went to community college and I'm still a few months away from being Dr. Mad Jack.

Reactions: 5 users
High school means nothing when it comes to medical school. Just get into a half-decent college and you'll be fine. Hell, I dropped out and went to community college and I'm still a few months away from being Dr. Mad Jack.
What if no colleges at all accept me
And which programs do I apply for

Members don't see this ad :)
What about your state schools? Most states have state schools that'll accept basically anyone that survives high school. As to what programs to apply for, I wouldn't worry about that too much because you're going to sort it out along the way. I started out in journalism, switched to business, ended up a respiratory therapist, and now I'm going to be a freakin' doctor. It's a journey, you'll figure it out.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! I am in a similar boat as you my friend, just try your best.
What you need to do know is review your resume, and gather all the necessary things to apply for college.

You need to apply, if you exemplify a passion in your resume, colleges will notice that!
I know what it feels like to have this academic issue, I know you can do it. Best of luck!

I did horrible in high school, went to community college, transferred to a 4 year university, and now I have acceptances to multiple medical schools. Don't stress out over high school so much

DO NOT use drugs in an attempt to raise your GPA!

There's nothing wrong with community colleges; I personally got an excellent education at mine.

Reactions: 3 users
It's depth of experience and a wide perspective that means the most!

Don't do drugs - that's a sure-fire way for you to completely ruin your future.

In a way I would almost encourage community colleges.
Your GPA and your MCAT are huge in getting you into medical school.
From my experience, I literally had a 4.0 at community college and had around a 3.4 from my undergrad. Community college courses saved me.
And its so Cheap!
I dont think the quality of education is bad either, most of your first two years is just reading powerpoints and doing a few easy labs in some classes, which doesnt really translate to medicine at all.
Nothing in high school carries over to medical school, undergrad however, yes, if you dont focus in that, you can screw yourself over.

It's true, most universities aren't as competitive as they look/act like. Just apply and see what happens.

DO NOT use drugs in an attempt to raise your GPA!

There's nothing wrong with community colleges; I personally got an excellent education at mine.

1.) On drugs - if you have a problem, go to the doctor and get that taken care of. ADHD drugs have a bad reputation but if you need them, and you take them as prescribed I highly recommend them.

2.) Avoid CC if you can. This is coming from someone who is going to CC. If you have to go, no biggie, but there ARE disadvantages: Just being a university student opens so many doors, it's literally not even the real world (there are SO many resources universities have that CC's simply don't.) And additionally, you will miss out. Everyone acts like that shouldn't matter and it's definitely not the end of the world but it can suck at times, always annoys me how people belittle this.

I didn't have great grades in high school and had multiple disciplinary actions and I still got into a university (granted not a competitive one). It's been a long time, but I did also have an upward trend in grades which I think did help and I did well on the ACT. After getting into university high school doesn't matter, kill it in college and your high school performance will be a thing long forgotten. I got into a med school I liked and my residency of choice in a fairly competitive specialty and pretty sure most of my class in high school figured I'd be a complete ****-up.