Bad experience with optometrist, should I put it on my app

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

opt_princess

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I worked for with an opt for six months. I loved the work I did, but hated the opt. He was rude to his staff and made us feel dumb. He threw tantrums and threw things when he was mad and he talked down on us(employees) to his patients (friends). So I really had a hard time there, but I did it for six months. The main reason being that I loved the helping patients and learning about optometry and I also wanted to have it on my application when I was ready to apply. So I put up with him for as long as I could until one day he really pissed me off. I left that day and I never came back. Just quit, no notice or anything.

Now……..I want to put my experience on my resume, but am afraid they will ask me who I worked for. It will be fine for most of the schools, but the main school I want to go to is the same school he graduated from. He also helps out in there clinics sometimes. I am afraid they will ask me who the opt is and once I say his name, they make ask him about me. I am pretty sure he will have a different take on my experience there, so what should I do?

I don’t want to just leave off my six months exp on my application b/c I need all the help I can get to make myself more competitive. Any suggestions or any knowledge on how much information is asked in interviews about your experiences with optometrists?

Members don't see this ad.

Tell them about your experience. It can only help, and you're perfectly within your rights to say that since the optometrist is affiliated with the school and likely a future teacher of yours, you aren't comfortable discussing the specifics of the situation. Good luck!

It sounds like you can only hide what has happened or else take care of it. Unfortunately none of us were there but we can say that it isn't worth hiding. If he does work at some of their clinics he may become your boss again real quick as your attending doctor. I don't think that anyone can say they ever like all of their teachers I mean some of mine disagree with each other outright... so who do you believe? Anyway, 6 months is a lot of valuable experience.
Realize that as an optometrist you will be working with people everyday. I would advise to try to reconcile the problem somehow. If it works then that would be wonderful (I think it will.) If it doesn't you tried and to your credit, they may not keep him working at those offices. Good luck on this one. :luck: :oops:

I got a new job with an optometrist and I plan to work there until I go to opt school. I am sooooo EXCITED!!!!!! So now I can focus my interview questions on my opt experience with the new doc. Much, much better than last time. Problem solved, but thanks for the advice guys :)