Backup...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

colts

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you guys explain applying to IM as a backup when you're applying to Radiology, as your transcript will show all your Radiology electives that you have done and zero IM electives?

Wouldn't that decrease your chances of getting into any of your backup programs?

Also, can you just tell your backup programs that you changed your mind and are no longer interested in radiology even though you are not?

Members don't see this ad.

It decreases your chance big time, period.

well even i decide to just apply IM and not apply to radiology, will I still be at a disadvantage? seeing as how I have more radiology electives

Members don't see this ad :)
Specialty heavy app + high Step 1 but applying IM/FM= Change of heart -> genuine interest.

Specialty heavy app + low Step 1 and applying IM/FM = Couldn't cut it in specialty -> back-up plan.

That's probably the 'filter', but interviews could swing it in your favor if you're good.

Your app isn't bad. Just apply broadly and you can get a spot somewhere if you aren't picky location wise.

I don't see why you'd choose IM as a backup though.

Your app isn't bad. Just apply broadly and you can get a spot somewhere if you aren't picky location wise.

I don't see why you'd choose IM as a backup though.

Just want to make that I match somewhere, and not have to scramble/SOAP

How important is the place you match in terms of getting a job afterwards for radiology?