backup options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Carotenoid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some of us will not match. If that happens to be me, I still want to do rad onc.

That means re-applying next September (after I've just started my TY/prelim - clearly, I will not have had time to bolster my CV with rad onc research; if anything, my application will look weaker because I will be applying outside of the match and as someone who has been deemed "unworthy" before). And let's say scramble doesn't work and no open spots open magically anywhere. What to do? Has anyone been in this situation? Does anyone have a great idea in mind already? Will greatly appreciate your folks' input!

Just trying to be realistic/ stay optimistic.

Members don't see this ad.

An option that many have done is to go ahead and do an internship and try to apply/find out about spots outside the match. Often, spots may open up in the middle of the year, either at existing programs or if new programs are created. If you are currently in an internship, you'd be eligible to start a position the summer you finished, unlike the 4th year medical students who would need to match 2 years in advance

Last edited:
Yes, I have heard that it may happen. Would be great!

Members don't see this ad :)
This does happen a lot. For this year several programs are expecting to get ACGME approved for more spots. At least one (in ohio) has said they intend to take one out of the match this year depending on when they get approval. A few years back city of hope had a mix up and matched more than they were approved for. Those applicants both got spots before completing their internships. Its clearly the way to go.

is there a way you could be working on rad onc research now? It would help if you have to reapply and even if you don't have a publication at interview time this cycle it could be something you could talk about during interviews.