"back up" plans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

equine_05

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious... what were your alternative plans if you didn't get into med school or, for whatever reason, got in but chose not to continue? I remember the first week of my first ever gross anatomy class I took one look at that cadaver and the next thing I knew, I was on the floor. Yep, I'd fainted right in front of everyone and managed to crack my head in the process. :eek: (Sad, i know.) Anyway, my "back up" plan was teaching biology. One guy I knew said he would have gone back home to become a funeral director had he not been accepted into med school. That strikes me as a little odd for some reason.

Members don't see this ad.

My back-up plan would be to joing the med service corp of the army as an officer and I'd probably be in Iraq right now.

equine_05 said:
I was just curious... what were your alternative plans if you didn't get into med school
Unless I nailed the MCATs this past April, I plan on sitting for the LSATs in September and applying to law school next fall as well. If given the choice, I'd definitely go into medicine... but law school is my backup plan. Absolutely no interest in trial law, but I wouldn't mind taking advantage of my biomedical background and going into patent or corporate law...

Members don't see this ad :)
high school science teacher, or go back and get a degree in chemical engineering.

reapply again the next year. and again, and again..... :cool:

Sledge2005 said:
My back-up plan would be to joing the med service corp of the army as an officer and I'd probably be in Iraq right now.

do you think you can volunteer anyway? we really need as much suport as we can. Since you were considering, do you think you can sign up now, and make us proud? :D :thumbup:

equine_05 said:
I was just curious... what were your alternative plans if you didn't get into med school or, for whatever reason, got in but chose not to continue? I remember the first week of my first ever gross anatomy class I took one look at that cadaver and the next thing I knew, I was on the floor. Yep, I'd fainted right in front of everyone and managed to crack my head in the process. :eek: (Sad, i know.) Anyway, my "back up" plan was teaching biology. One guy I knew said he would have gone back home to become a funeral director had he not been accepted into med school. That strikes me as a little odd for some reason.

research position for another year, and then apply again. I would apply 3 times at most, and if I didn't get in...then off to law school!

either physician assistant or podiatry school.

Reapplying. Reapplying again. Failing that, foreign med school. Or else going into non-profit work and running a homeless shelter or something...or getting into health policy somehow. Or being a nurse practitioner. Lots of options, with the common thread of being in healthcare and/or non-profit/charity work. Or maybe I'd just be a stay-at-home mom for awhile.

PhD in Molecular Cell Biology with the intention of part time assistant researcher and full time College Prof.

:thumbup:

Damn I love the little thumbsup emote icon... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

equine_05 said:
One guy I knew said he would have gone back home to become a funeral director had he not been accepted into med school. That strikes me as a little odd for some reason.

Its not that odd. Funeral directors need a pretty good understanding of anatomy. In counties that use the coroner system instead of the medical examiner system a funeral director may be the one who performs an autopsy if the elected coroner is not an MD/DO or if there are no hospital pathologists to do the autopsy. Not to mention funeral directors can bring in some decent money if they get a thriving business.

ForensicPath said:
Its not that odd. Funeral directors need a pretty good understanding of anatomy. In counties that use the coroner system instead of the medical examiner system a funeral director may be the one who performs an autopsy if the elected coroner is not an MD/DO or if there are no hospital pathologists to do the autopsy. Not to mention funeral directors can bring in some decent money if they get a thriving business.
Word. Doesn't seem like all that bad a job. I have really never been all that freaked out when around dead people. Doesn't strike me as odd as some other people seem to perceive it. eh... Someone has to do the job...

I was planning on working for a funeral home. I wanted to join the Marines, but my hearing was too bad. Al Queda probably would have taken me, but not our own countrymen, kinda sad....like hearing impaired people and disabled people can't mop the Pentagon floor or answer phones for the military. I was getting serious and even applied to some funeral homes for jobs....kinda went w/ the mood of being rejected. I thought it would be peaceful taking care of those lovely headstones and edging the grass around them. At any rate that is probably about as far as my Biological Science Degree would have taken me. I keep encouraging my gf to make the most of her Biology degree and become a stripper. I mean hell....doesn't 500 bucks a night sound good for most ladies....probably as much as ER MD's make.

Genetic Counseling - seems like you'd get the science, the people interaction, and an up and coming field all in one.

PhD probably...although now I realize I would have hated it.

PharmD...There aren't too many jobs where you can make 95k right out of training.

Consultant most likely in the short term. Probably PhD in industrial engineering in the long term (optimization).

I would have applied to Creative Writing MFA programs (grad school for fiction / poetry) and starved my way through life as a writer . . . . until my screenplays start going for 1.3 million and I'm rubbing elbows with M. Night Shallelyemeeyanlaman (did i spell that right?) . . . . . . . .

-Vandyfox

Physics PhD. Most likely astrophysics.

equine_05 said:
I was just curious... what were your alternative plans if you didn't get into med school or, for whatever reason, got in but chose not to continue?

Same as it has been since high school....WORLD DOMINATION. mwahahahaha! :smuggrin:

LaurieB said:
Genetic Counseling - seems like you'd get the science, the people interaction, and an up and coming field all in one.

Same here. I still think of it as very fascinating, but... :)