Back up plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MJHUSKERS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hopefully this isn't a dumb question, but I'm just curious what everyone's backup plans are if they don't get into PT school the first time?
Reapply again the following year?
Choose a different career path? What career?

I guess since day 1 of school, my advisor told me to have a backup plan in case I don't get into PT school. I guess my back up plan was to go into education system as a teacher or counselor. Anyone else have a backup?

Members don't see this ad.

You may want to check out this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=588792

If you are still early enough in your undergrad career to do the coursework now, I think teaching is a great plan (as long as your heart would really be in it). I majored in bio with secondary ed cert, and it's comforting to know that I always have that career option. It's not just a major, but a career, and there will always be a need for teachers.

I really don't have a plan B. I feel confident I'll get in PT school. If I don't get in this year I plan on reapplying again next year. If I reapply and still don't get in than I'll starting thinking of a plan B but probably wouldn't act on it. I'd simply reapply again. Persistence pays off and you'll get in if you really want to. This is my stance though. Talk to me in three years when I'm still trying to get in. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I really don't have a plan B. I feel confident I'll get in PT school. If I don't get in this year I plan on reapplying again next year. If I reapply and still don't get in than I'll starting thinking of a plan B but probably wouldn't act on it. I'd simply reapply again. Persistence pays off and you'll get in if you really want to. This is my stance though. Talk to me in three years when I'm still trying to get in. :laugh:

I agree, Thankfully I'm already in, but some of my classmates had a plan B (for example, taking organic-chem and going onto pharmacy, or going into OT) I just thought on reapplying to different schools for next year, and use the year "off" to work and save money for PT school. I couldn't imagine myself doing anything else that's why a plan b which included a different career was not an option for me.

A "Plan B" doesn't always have to be a replacement for PT and can act as a filler of sorts. If it ends up taking 2-3 cycles of applying before you are accepted, you will have a few years off. Many undergrad majors taken on by future-PTs don't set you up for the job market; they set you up for grad school. Wouldn't it be nice to be making more than minimum wage during that time if you could? If for some terrible reason you were no longer able to physically be a PT anymore, wouldn't it be nice to have another career option waiting? It's not a bad idea to keep your mind, options, and education open to areas outside PT, no matter how strongly you believe it's the career for you; schools like to see some diversity anyways! It doesn't stop you from reapplying again and again, but it could give you a "real" job in the meantime.
And hopefully it will only take you one cycle and not three years:)

A "Plan B" doesn't always have to be a replacement for PT and can act as a filler of sorts. If it ends up taking 2-3 cycles of applying before you are accepted, you will have a few years off. Many undergrad majors taken on by future-PTs don't set you up for the job market; they set you up for grad school. Wouldn't it be nice to be making more than minimum wage during that time if you could? If for some terrible reason you were no longer able to physically be a PT anymore, wouldn't it be nice to have another career option waiting? It's not a bad idea to keep your mind, options, and education open to areas outside PT, no matter how strongly you believe it's the career for you; schools like to see some diversity anyways! It doesn't stop you from reapplying again and again, but it could give you a "real" job in the meantime.
And hopefully it will only take you one cycle and not three years:)

Unfortunately there's not much I can do with my degree right now without committing time and money to pursue that route as oppose to this one. So either way I won't have a "real job." My BS undergrad is in nutrition science. Unfortunately I really can't do much with this right now without the "registered dietitian" liscensure which takes a year internship. So I will most likely work as a PT aide and make $9/ hour if I don't get in then try again. You're right though. Maybe I should have got my undergrad in accounting... :smack:

Maybe this is for a different thread, but what about PTA school & license?

My backup plan if i dont get into PT school first try is this;

During my upper division coursework, there is a three unit per semester- three semester cardio sequence. Ill take that and IF i get rejected first time i apply to PT programs, Ill go into Cardiac Rehabilitation...thats about the only career that makes decent money with my degree

Maybe this is for a different thread, but what about PTA school & license?

Most PTA schools is a 2 year plan (correct me if i'm wrong) and cost a good amount of money. So you'd probably be better off by improving your application for any grades you think needs to be raised, getting more experience in different environment, and other things to strengthen your application. Not unless you're not planning to apply to PT school and go down that road should you probably make PTA your back up choice.