Back to school after 6 years - advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ReapPremed

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know if I fall into "nontraditional" yet, but I think this forum might be best suited to my question. Ive been accepted this cycle, finally, but I'm my late 20's and haven't had a class in 6 years. I applied to medical school 2 years out of undergrad and it took me 4 tries to gain entry (uGPA 3.6-ish, MCAT 515-ish in 2016).

Now that I'm going back to school I'm honestly scared I won't adjust well, or will have forgotten how to study. I tell myself that after 4 years of constant applications I can handle stress and rejection and buckle down for late night sexondaries; that my 18-month old MCAT shows I can handle the material; that working in a lab the last 5 years has kept my head in the game. I've never had any mental health issues before. Still, part of me is terrified I'll go to med school and won't be able to hack it.

For now work is slow (I'm a bit checked out) and I'm really just focused on relaxing after what's been a grueling journey. I've joined a gym, I'm cooking healthier, I'm focusing on my hobbies. Is there more I should be doing?

How have other people dealt with returning to school after long absences? How did you prepare? Did you do okay? And how has the wise @Goro found students in my situation to be during preclinical years?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know if I fall into "nontraditional" yet, but I think this forum might be best suited to my question. Ive been accepted this cycle, finally, but I'm my late 20's and haven't had a class in 6 years. I applied to medical school 2 years out of undergrad and it took me 4 tries to gain entry (uGPA 3.6-ish, MCAT 515-ish in 2016).

Now that I'm going back to school I'm honestly scared I won't adjust well, or will have forgotten how to study. I tell myself that after 4 years of constant applications I can handle stress and rejection and buckle down for late night sexondaries; that my 18-month old MCAT shows I can handle the material; that working in a lab the last 5 years has kept my head in the game. I've never had any mental health issues before. Still, part of me is terrified I'll go to med school and won't be able to hack it.

For now work is slow (I'm a bit checked out) and I'm really just focused on relaxing after what's been a grueling journey. I've joined a gym, I'm cooking healthier, I'm focusing on my hobbies. Is there more I should be doing?

How have other people dealt with returning to school after long absences? How did you prepare? Did you do okay? And how has the wise @Goro found students in my situation to be during preclinical years?
And congrats on the accept!!!
:thumbup::love::love::love::luck::luck::luck::hardy::hardy::hardy::highfive::highfive::highfive::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::clap::clap::clap::=|:-)::=|:-)::=|:-)::claps::claps::claps::banana::banana::hello::hello::hello::biglove::biglove::biglove:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Late night sexondaries brings up many different thoughts. Great Freudian slip. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Late night sexondaries brings up many different thoughts. Great Freudian slip. :)

That's when you know I've really been at this too long...

Thanks for the encouragement! I guess it is different enough from undergrad that everyone is probably adjusting...