Back to Canada?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

surferdude123

too short

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why don't you just rewrite your MCAT and at least try to apply to the US? Your GPA is solid, and MCAT can definitely be improved, as many of our rewriters will tell you. Get your MCAT up to 30 and I'm sure you'll gain admission somewhere in the US....that'll save you at least 2 years of school, and you won't be considered an IMG in Canada.

I know you may have already considered this, but I just wanted to throw it out there.

1) How difficult is it to return to CANADA or the USA AFTER completing my MBBS in Australia, as a Canadian citizen?

As far as Canada goes, things are changing alot, but its still likely to be rather difficult. If you look at the match stats for IMGs in CaRMs, you'll see its more likely than not one wouldnt match.
As far as the US goes, it previously wasnt difficult, but is likely to get much more so. The number of positions is the same, while the allopathic schools are slowly expanding, and the osteopathic schools are rapidly expanding without the residencies to match. Also the visa situation may be getting difficult in the future as well.

If you think youve got a shot at UBC, keep applying, or as the previous poster recommended, apply to the US. Going outside North America seems to risky financially, unless you're really well off.

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as Canada goes, things are changing alot, but its still likely to be rather difficult. If you look at the match stats for IMGs in CaRMs, you'll see its more likely than not one wouldnt match.
As far as the US goes, it previously wasnt difficult, but is likely to get much more so. The number of positions is the same, while the allopathic schools are slowly expanding, and the osteopathic schools are rapidly expanding without the residencies to match. Also the visa situation may be getting difficult in the future as well.

If you think youve got a shot at UBC, keep applying, or as the previous poster recommended, apply to the US. Going outside North America seems to risky financially, unless you're really well off.

yes I have looked into the U.S., I guess it's a possibility, I was wondering if I did a year in australia, then by fluke, if I was admitted to UBC, then I could return to BC and finish there.....

Ultimately, I wish to specialize probably in Emergency Medicine, or Anesthesiology and have a general practice license as well, so I could do clinic work.....in either the US and Canada, I also want to work with MSF, and do third world medicine and anesthesiology and emerg are great specialties for that, because I know several MSF doctors, and I've done a medical mission already.......that is my ultimate goal. but I don't want to be F****kin 50 by the time things get rolling...

you know what I mean?

I don't know...I feel discouraged, I'm supposed to be happy because I got into medical school....I just don't know if it will be worth it in the long run....I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place...

and my family is NOT wealthy, we are average to slightly above average, and I definitely don't want to be doing anything that's financially risky....but as they say...

"a bird in the hand, is better than a bird in the forest" so I don't know..

please keep suggestions coming.....I appreciate the insights.

In what province did you complete high school? Pardon me if you have
already stated that. because, you may be considered an in province applicant, regardless of where you are now.

sorry, i see that you may be from BC? perhaps you could contact the admissions office there and state your case, I know in my school, we had
at least two transfer trainees, but they were from within Canada.
Good luck.
:)

yes I have looked into the U.S., I guess it's a possibility, I was wondering if I did a year in australia, then by fluke, if I was admitted to UBC, then I could return to BC and finish there.....

Ultimately, I wish to specialize probably in Emergency Medicine, or Anesthesiology and have a general practice license as well, so I could do clinic work.....in either the US and Canada, I also want to work with MSF, and do third world medicine and anesthesiology and emerg are great specialties for that, because I know several MSF doctors, and I've done a medical mission already.......that is my ultimate goal. but I don't want to be F****kin 50 by the time things get rolling...

you know what I mean?

I don't know...I feel discouraged, I'm supposed to be happy because I got into medical school....I just don't know if it will be worth it in the long run....I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place...

and my family is NOT wealthy, we are average to slightly above average, and I definitely don't want to be doing anything that's financially risky....but as they say...

"a bird in the hand, is better than a bird in the forest" so I don't know..

please keep suggestions coming.....I appreciate the insights.

I understand where you're coming from. Its really good you're putting alot of thought into this. Im sure other people have their opinions, but here's mine: stay in BC, get a job that you enjoy, take a few extra classes, take the MCATS again ,go on a few missions, keep volunteering, and above all ENJOY LIFE. As far as the bird in hand, versus forest argument, here's the thing, going to med school doesnt = being a doctor. You could really put yourself in a bad spot by jumping the gun and going somewhere without a clear idea of where you'll do residency/practice.

I understand where you're coming from. Its really good you're putting alot of thought into this. Im sure other people have their opinions, but here's mine: stay in BC, get a job that you enjoy, take a few extra classes, take the MCATS again ,go on a few missions, keep volunteering, and above all ENJOY LIFE. As far as the bird in hand, versus forest argument, here's the thing, going to med school doesnt = being a doctor. You could really put yourself in a bad spot by jumping the gun and going somewhere without a clear idea of where you'll do residency/practice.

yes I believe putting a lot of thought is the right thing for my future.......I could write the MCAT again, but that would delay me getting in.....would the university be that picky about my MCAT with my GPA being what it is....I mean i worked hard for that GPA....does anyone know the AQ and NAQ cut offs for UBC interviews?

from what I've been hearing it's a lot easier to obtain a residency in the USA then migrate back to canada when finished?

yes I believe putting a lot of thought is the right thing for my future.......I could write the MCAT again, but that would delay me getting in.....would the university be that picky about my MCAT with my GPA being what it is....I mean i worked hard for that GPA....does anyone know the AQ and NAQ cut offs for UBC interviews?

from what I've been hearing it's a lot easier to obtain a residency in the USA then migrate back to canada when finished?

Surfer, I totally hear ya with all that you are saying. I am trying to get in UBC for the 3rd time this year (application for 2008 entry will be my 3rd attempt) and I am trying for the US as well, with no luck so far. Now I am also considering Ireland and Australia, but I am not absolutely certain about residency and what the chances of coming back to either of Canada or the US might be. And the risk involved is stopping me from being too enthusiastic about leaving north america for med schools. It seems no one can give a straight answer to this issue. Some say you can find residency spots in the US if not Canada (if you go to an international med school) and some say that there is no guarantee. So this really puts us in a tough situation. I have already spent over 2 years waiting on med school, just wasting years of my life and I am slowly getting very unpatient, I suspect you feel the same way. Since you asked about UBC, the cutoff for the interview is getting 36/50 when you add AQ with NAQ. So any combination of the 2 that totals 36 or higher will get you the interview. But I know people scoring as high as 40 who have been flat out rejected. Wish my answer could have helped....

In general, Canada is a pretty nice place to live; free health care, free education, safe, clean. Its not the best place to be an impatient and determined pre-med. Your premed years shouldnt be "wasted"!Perhaps it would be wise to find something as a back-up, like pharm, being an RN or RT.

to clear up confusion, I attended highschool in BC. so I am considered a BC resident for application to UBC, but I went to UCLA for my undergraduate degree so I'm considered OOP. unfortunately.

36/50 is good news...I think I can manage that....but it's depressing to see people with 40s get turned down
there are lots of applicants who suit medicine but aren't given the chance..
I'm just damn fortunate I was accepted to UNSW....

but I am EXTREMELY worried about coming back to north america after I finish my MD/MBBS in AUS, my homes are Canada and the USA, I have very close ties in both countries and I couldn't ditch them....

anyways, I dont have a plan B, not pharm, RT, or RN, I just can't picture myself doing it.....I wish I could...it would probably make things less stressful to have a plan B, but nope, that's a negatory.

Do you have a green card? If so, you shouldnt have too many worries about matching in the US. In fact, with a bit of effort you could get into a US school somewhere, maybe a DO school.

If not, you're taking a rather large risk borrowing $200,000 without knowing where you'll do residency, and practice. How would you pay all that back? Being a doctor is well worth it, but where would you be at the end of the line if you're not a doc?
Regardle

to clear up confusion, I attended highschool in BC. so I am considered a BC resident for application to UBC, but I went to UCLA for my undergraduate degree so I'm considered OOP. unfortunately.
Just wondering, how does going out of province make you "OOP" for school? I remember applying back to Manitoba for medical school years ago and even though I went to Ontario for my undergraduate degree, I was considered a Manitoba resident as, besides being born there, had my family, financial and social ties proven there? Gather that it, like many other things regarding residency for school application purposes, if you can prove that you were living there (and abroad for the purpose of education and proven with a student visa) through your finances and tax returns, you should be able to claim yourself as a BC resident applying back to any Canadian medical school?

Just wondering, how does going out of province make you "OOP" for school? I remember applying back to Manitoba for medical school years ago and even though I went to Ontario for my undergraduate degree, I was considered a Manitoba resident as, besides being born there, had my family, financial and social ties proven there? Gather that it, like many other things regarding residency for school application purposes, if you can prove that you were living there (and abroad for the purpose of education and proven with a student visa) through your finances and tax returns, you should be able to claim yourself as a BC resident applying back to any Canadian medical school?

yah, I guess so, when I applied to UBC the first time, a couple of years ago, they stated I was OOP, I don't know the logistics of it....I am a BC resident so it didn't make much sense to me....but it's UBC so who knows.

as for going to the US, and as per previous post, yes definitely it IS sketchy not knowing where I will practice, but who knows maybe I will want to stay in australia? I don't know. but as for nailing 100% of where and what my residency will be is hard to say at this point......I know it IS possible to come back to canada, and the US after graduating in AUS, but there would be a lot of hoop jumping...

I just know I don't have a plan B, being a doctor and studying medicine is where my heart is, has been for years, I've devoted years of my life to it, I'm not about to just toss it out the window here......over my dead body.

my issues are mainly concerns for returning to north america as an IMG from Australia. The quality of education is definitely there, that's not an issue, as opposed to maybe St George's in Grenada? lol. I don't know. I'm not worried about the actual quality of it, I'm just worried about all of the hoop jumping...and residency etc.

yah, I guess so, when I applied to UBC the first time, a couple of years ago, they stated I was OOP, I don't know the logistics of it....I am a BC resident so it didn't make much sense to me....but it's UBC so who knows.

as for going to the US, and as per previous post, yes definitely it IS sketchy not knowing where I will practice, but who knows maybe I will want to stay in australia? I don't know. but as for nailing 100% of where and what my residency will be is hard to say at this point......I know it IS possible to come back to canada, and the US after graduating in AUS, but there would be a lot of hoop jumping...

I just know I don't have a plan B, being a doctor and studying medicine is where my heart is, has been for years, I've devoted years of my life to it, I'm not about to just toss it out the window here......over my dead body.

my issues are mainly concerns for returning to north america as an IMG from Australia. The quality of education is definitely there, that's not an issue, as opposed to maybe St George's in Grenada? lol. I don't know. I'm not worried about the actual quality of it, I'm just worried about all of the hoop jumping...and residency etc.

Hey there. I know exactly what you are going through. I am also a BC resident and have applied to UBC twice now and have been rejected both times. Ive been accepted into medical school over in Ireland and I am heading over there Sept 1. I can appreciate all your concerns and thoughts. I also do not have a back up plan....no RN, etc. I've talked to a lot of people about coming back into Canada or the USA for residency and from what I hear things are a lot better now. I am very confident of the education I am going to receive over there and now more comfortable about coming back home for residency. I had a low MCAT score as well, so Im sure this is where I got nailed as my GPA is very high. I went to school at UMass and I am still considered "In province" so I would check on that! I would love to talk to you more about your concerns as I have also thought about going over to ireland for the year, reapplying to UBC and hoping I get in even though I know I'll have to start all over again. I've met quite a few people that studied in Ireland and are back here now...so it seems like the situation for International students is improving. You can email me at [email protected] if you would like to talk more about this. To be honest, it makes it easier that someone else is in the same situation as I am.