Other OT-Related Information Bachelor's to OTA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mfg1020

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This past May I graduated with a BS in Allied Health Sciences and was ultimately hoping to get my MOT. I applied to a few schools last winter and didn't get into any of them not realizing I wasn't a competetive applicant. I've been reading other threads on here and it seems that most people have very high GPAs and prerequistes. The hours I spent shadowing were nearly not enough. When I realized I wanted to go into OT last year I didn't have enough time to rack in those volunteer hours because I was more focused on working, my medical missionary work, and finishing my degree. My gpa is a 3.0 and most of my prereqs are B's. I would consider retaking a lot of my prereqs, but it wouldn't make much of a difference in my overall gpa and I would still not be nearly not as competitive. I will be volunteering with an OT in a few weeks to gain more experience, but now I'm highly considering just taking the OTA route instead and possibly MOT later on. Is anyone else considering the same thing?

Members don't see this ad.

You applied in the winter... That could be a reason right there. If your overall and pre-requisite GPAs are above a 3.3, I'd say you'd have a chance. Don't compare yourself to the overachievers in this page. They worked hard, and yes it IS competitive, but by looking at this page, you'd think you need a 4.0 and perfect GREs to get in. I'd retake SOME pre-requisites (maybe the easier ones, and try to get A's in those), take the GRE, and OBSERVE OBSERVE OBSERVE. Get some letters of recommendation that are strong, and try again next year. Plus OTA is also competitive... you might as well do OT

I would definitely apply as early as possible too aka NOW! I applied last year to just a couple schools and didn't get in anywhere. I did not realize how competitive it was and was very worried about this upcoming year. I ended up being accepted to four schools and still wait-listed at two. Applying early and retaking anatomy really helped me in the process. Do not give up! I understand how you feel though and I was definitely considering OTA but I think if you already spent all the time and money on your BS, you should try for the MOT. Research schools too. I really branched out this year and applied all over. There are some really great schools out there that you may not know about yet.