Bachelor's in Communication Disorders

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peacegirl95

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My dream has always been to become an audiologist ever since I recieved by first hearing aid. However, as I guess you could say a plan B what other jobs can I do with just a bachelor's in CD(aisde from an SLPA)? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Some places hire audiologist's assistants. I met a young woman who was an AA down in Ft. Lauderdale and was planning to go back and get her Au.D. I also met a tech (he didn't call himself an AA) when I was observing at the VA in my town, and he would do ear wax removals, make ear molds, and take care of some clerical duties.

You could be a secretary in an SLP/AuD office? Dunno besides what Audie said (tech positions). If you've got considerable typing skills, you could do transcription/dictation and you'd already have the background knowledge re: lexicon.

It might also help if you want to get your teaching certificate and take a few extra courses and work as a teacher or something in the schools... you'd have valuable knowledge that schools might like!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! Same situation here! You should consider getting your credentials to teach the hearing impaired. I've selected two programs as back ups, just incase I don't get into a decent Au.D program.

You should consider getting your credentials to teach the hearing impaired. I've selected two programs as back ups, just incase I don't get into a decent Au.D program.

Are there AuD programs that you would turn down if accepted into?

I also met a tech (he didn't call himself an AA) when I was observing at the VA in my town, and he would do ear wax removals, make ear molds

I've seen those activities as part of the AuD curriculum for some schools.

Does one learn such things on the undergraduate level as well?

Does one learn such things on the undergraduate level as well?

I never learned to remove ear wax or make ear molds in undergrad. I only observed it and learned about it in theory. Maybe some undergrad programs teach it, though.

I never learned to remove ear wax or make ear molds in undergrad. I only observed it and learned about it in theory. Maybe some undergrad programs teach it, though.

Anyone else find this sort of thing troubling in regard to the pursuit of an AuD and a professional audiologist?

Anyone else find this sort of thing troubling in regard to the pursuit of an AuD and a professional audiologist?

You will find that in over 50% of these threads, there is some mention of distaste towards the current state of audiology undergraduate education. We've all determined that we're on the same page in terms of wanting a more audiology-based undergraduate degree as most programs are more tailored towards Speech-Language Pathology.

At this point, although I can't speak for everyone, I hope we all agree that we've talked as much as we can talk and now it's time for the 'doing' part.

You will find that in over 50% of these threads, there is some mention of distaste towards the current state of audiology undergraduate education.

Well, I was speaking more to the fact that undergraduates (who may or may not have received education in some of these areas) are performing work that doctorate students are paying good money and time to learn in a AuD program.

Well, I was speaking more to the fact that undergraduates (who may or may not have received education in some of these areas) are performing work that doctorate students are paying good money and time to learn in a AuD program.

Well she did say she never performed those duties in her course, and I have never heard of a program that teaches it. But besides that, I'd say cerumen removal and ear molds are two fairly minor topics.

Are there AuD programs that you would turn down if accepted into?

Only if I had to choose between two schools. If that happens, I'm screwed! :p I really like the schools I am applying to, but honestly, I'd have to choose financially. :(

Are you already in an Au.D (Ph.D?) program? If so, how is going?

Last edited:
Ok. The inclusion of "decent" threw me off. Didn't know if you meant there were some programs that you would purposefully avoid.

You can become a licensed hearing aid dispenser with virtually no didactic training.

Ok. The inclusion of "decent" threw me off. Didn't know if you meant there were some programs that you would purposefully avoid.

:p I re-edited my answer just few comments above. My answer before wasn't very clear at all. :laugh:

Last edited:
Are you already in an Au.D (Ph.D?) program? If so, how is going?

The edited response was definitely more clear. :)

I'm not enrolled in any AuD program. Just a teacher looking to make a career change in the near future. I already made a mistake and chose one career path with a dim future (Master of Library Science program), so I want to be really careful about the graduate program I consider. Audiology is one of the professions I've been following very closely, but I'm not ready to pull the trigger yet.

The edited response was definitely more clear. :)

I'm not enrolled in any AuD program. Just a teacher looking to make a career change in the near future. I already made a mistake and chose one career path with a dim future (Master of Library Science program), so I want to be really careful about the graduate program I consider. Audiology is one of the professions I've been following very closely, but I'm not ready to pull the trigger yet.

What other professions are you considering? I like audiology as well, but I'm not quite sure about committing to it yet.