Bachelor's Degree Before PharmD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ns96

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! Does the absence of a Bachelor's Degree affect a PharmD's job opportunities or make them any less of a pharmacist? I find it strange when people say that people might not hire pharmacists without a Bachelor's degree... It's like saying a person with a Master's can't work without having an associates. What are your opinions on this? Has this affected anyone you in know in this situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! Does the absence of a Bachelor's Degree affect a PharmD's job opportunities or make them any less of a pharmacist? I find it strange when people say that people might not hire pharmacists without a Bachelor's degree... It's like saying a person with a Master's can't work without having an associates. What are your opinions on this? Has this affected anyone you in know in this situation?
Considering many pharmacy schools accept students who have not earned a bachelors degree, I’m pretty sure it won’t affect your future job prospects as a pharmacist. (Also because a PharmD is a higher degree than a bachelors.) That said though, I wouldn’t totally discount the idea of a bachelors degree. I’m graduating in May with my bachelors partly because I didn’t decide on pharmacy until I was almost done with my degree but also because this way I’ll have a fallback if pharmacy school doesn’t work out for whatever reason.

Same response as other thread - if you're going to finish the PharmD, I wouldn't worry about this at all.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I am finishing up my bachelors degree this year and going to pharmacy school this upcoming fall. It may help with admissions process if you have a bachelors degree, but I doubt it makes any significant difference once you have a Pharm. D. Because the Pharm. D is a doctorate degree, people generally don't pay much attention to your bachelor degree, similar to how you're never asked for your high school transcript/degree once you're out of college.

Personally, I am finishing up my bachelors degree this year and going to pharmacy school this upcoming fall. It may help with admissions process if you have a bachelors degree, but I doubt it makes any significant difference once you have a Pharm. D. Because the Pharm. D is a doctorate degree, people generally don't pay much attention to your bachelor degree, similar to how you're never asked for your high school transcript/degree once you're out of college.

I am pretty glad I got my B.S. degree though I feel much more well rounded.
There are courses I wanted to take but couldn't because of problems on the school's part. I would have loved to take immunology and virology but couldn't. I feel they would have prepared me even more.

However I thought I was not going to get my BS then I did badly on first Pcat so I decided to press on and took more science courses and they really helped and that's when I decided that I might as well just get my degree