BA in non-nursing transfer to BSN?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wifty

Eccentrically Silly
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am finishing up a degree in psychology, but am seriously looking at going into nursing possibly to become an NP one day.

My question is: If I already have a BA, and I get my RN from a community college, do I have to retake undergrad courses to get my BSN? Or do they just look at what I have taken and combine it with the RN do give me the BSN (assuming that I have taken all the right courses)?

I am very interested in a NP program - peds or psych - but most of them require a BSN first.

ANY info and/or websites to check out would be really helpful!!

With smiles,
Wifty

Members don't see this ad.

You dont have to retake any undergrad classes. Since you will have your BA already, when you go take your BSN there are programs that are only 1 year as opposed to 2-3 years that are only available to people with BA pursing their BSN.

Thank you so much for the info Pihkal!

I guess I will have to start looking at the programs that are out there then. :)

Its amazing how complicated the whole process can seem to someone not familiar with it....keeps me on my toes. :)

With smiles,
Wifty

Members don't see this ad :)
wait a sec,

so if i have a BA, all i have to complete is one more year of school and then I can attach a BSN to the end of my name?

wow....

is it possible to learn so much information in the course of a single year?

It seems so, but only if you already have a BA and also an RN.

There are also programs I am looking at where you enter a MSN program with a BA and you get your RN as well as your NP.

Its nice having options for us folks that didn't jump into nursing/medicine right out of highschool. :)

Wifty

There are schools in chicago land area which offer accelerated program for even non-nursing graduates. You still have to take some science courses(if did not have those in the past 5 years) and then it is a 1 year program. the cost is high. One school wants 22K and the other 29K. But if you are already a degree holder, you can get MAster's from Depaul university in 2 years and then few more courses and be a NP or CNA
Go ahead and look at those options as well.
Good luck. I am still seriously considering master's program as well.