[B]UNECOM vs Other D.O School (Ranking?)[/B]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrKeys

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:luck: Hi guys,

I was wondering if you guys have more information on UNECOM vs other D.O. Schools, since UNECOM is my first choice for D.O. is there anything I should be worry about going to UNECOM vs other ones?

also any info on the ranking of D.O. schools would help. Thanks

-Keys

Members don't see this ad.

DrKeys said:
:luck: Hi guys,

I was wondering if you guys have more information on UNECOM vs other D.O. Schools, since UNECOM is my first choice for D.O. is there anything I should be worry about going to UNECOM vs other ones?

also any info on the ranking of D.O. schools would help. Thanks

-Keys

The only rankings of medical schools is the U.S. News & World Report. The following schools (I know of) are ranked:

UNT-TCOM
OSU-COM
WVSOM
ATSU-KCOM
MSU-COM
PCSOM

I don't recall UNE-COM ever being ranked.

UNECOM is supposed to be very. Though, really, you'll be fine with any US degree. The one thing it's known for is more gross anatomy than most schools. it's very friendly, but is in the middle of nowhere and in Maine. I hope you like winter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Portland is about 20 min. away, so I guess not nowhere, but it's definitely not urban.

rgerwin said:
Portland is about 20 min. away, so I guess not nowhere, but it's definitely not urban.

I visited and interviewed there, I like it very much.. I always live near a big city, and I do want to get away from it. So small-town setting is actually better for me, and I can concentrate on my med school work. Strong gross-anatomy is good because I'm thinking about going into surgery.

hey but thanks for your feedback.

-keys

OSUdoc08 said:
The only rankings of medical schools is the U.S. News & World Report. The following schools (I know of) are ranked:

UNT-TCOM
OSU-COM
WVSOM
ATSU-KCOM
MSU-COM
PCSOM

I don't recall UNE-COM ever being ranked.

From UNECOM's website...

"U.S. News & World Report has recognized UNE as one of the best regional universities in the Northeast and has ranked the Physician Assistant Program among the top 25 in the nation. The College of Osteopathic Medicine has been recognized for educational excellence in primary care, geriatrics and rural medicine."

I haven't seen it though.

DrKeys said:
is there anything I should be worry about going to UNECOM vs other ones?

The location can't be beat! I choose a different school because UNECOM hasn't been around as long. I was also a bit worried about the 89% step 1 pass rate from last year. It seems like a great school though. I don't think you could go wrong with it.

If you are looking for a small town feel, then you've found the right place. It's a great school.

I'm a 2nd year at UNECOM and love it. If you want bigtown feel it's obviously not your best bet but I live in Portland so I certainly don't feel like it's in the middle of nowhere. If you have specific questions feel free to PM me.

Good luck with your decision.

How rigorous is the academic curriculum at UNECOM? compared to places like COMP, DMU LECOM, and NYCOM?

When applying nationally Adcoms don't give preference to students simply because they attended a certain DO school. Yes, locally, programs do give preference to graduates of the local DO school but this applies to any DO school. So if you know where you want to live or do residency then you should attend a school in that area. If you want to settle in Los Angelas or Phoenix, both COMP and AZCOM are great choices because of their proximity to those cities. Likewise, if you want to live in Chicago, you would have an advantage if you would attend CCOM or MSUCOM. It sounds like you love UNECOM since that's your first choice. Don't avoid attending it just because it's not ranked in U.S. News.

rahulazcom said:
When applying nationally Adcoms don't give preference to students simply because they attended a certain DO school. Yes, locally, programs do give preference to graduates of the local DO school but this applies to any DO school. So if you know where you want to live or do residency then you should attend a school in that area. If you want to settle in Los Angelas or Phoenix, both COMP and AZCOM are great choices because of their proximity to those cities. Likewise, if you want to live in Chicago, you would have an advantage if you would attend CCOM or MSUCOM. It sounds like you love UNECOM since that's your first choice. Don't avoid attending it just because it's not ranked in U.S. News.

Thanks man, I find your comment very helpful.

DrKeys. It depends on your flavor.

The match list for UNECOM is not bad. Rankings only make sence if you are on top.

However.. UNECOM has a good record of producing great doctors. It has been around for many years, and has a good reputation with hospitals.

Members don't see this ad :)
rahulazcom said:

:thumbup:

docbill said:
DrKeys. It depends on your flavor.

The match list for UNECOM is not bad. Rankings only make sence if you are on top.

However.. UNECOM has a good record of producing great doctors. It has been around for many years, and has a good reputation with hospitals.

Do you all know that.. UNECOM started/founded the year I was born? in a way i guess I'm old as the school :) i guess the higher power created me and the school only to find the two come together 28 years later haha.

misparas said:
From UNECOM's website...

"U.S. News & World Report has recognized UNE as one of the best regional universities in the Northeast and has ranked the Physician Assistant Program among the top 25 in the nation. The College of Osteopathic Medicine has been recognized for educational excellence in primary care, geriatrics and rural medicine."

I haven't seen it though.

They weren't ranked in anything other than the PA program. Not sure what they were "recognized in."

DrKeys said:
Thanks man, I find your comment very helpful.

No problem man! My take on it is this, students who are happy or in a positive state of mind tend to do well academically. If you are at the school of your choosing, you will likely be more content and thus able to study and better able to handle the stress of medical school. And as you know grades and board scores are key to securing the competitive fields of medicine, which you expressed an interest in. I truly believe every DO school has something to offer. It's just a matter of finding which qualities of a particular school appeal to you and sticking with that school.

I dont know why the US News and World Ranking keeps appearing. Its not like they are ranked as the overall top medical schools. The schools listed are ranked in a given niche, often family medicine or whatever the case may be.

My school, CCOM is not ranked. Are you honestly going to sit here and tell me that CCOM is not an excellent school? I doubt it.

Buckeye(OH) said:
I dont know why the US News and World Ranking keeps appearing. Its not like they are ranked as the overall top medical schools. The schools listed are ranked in a given niche, often family medicine or whatever the case may be.

My school, CCOM is not ranked. Are you honestly going to sit here and tell me that CCOM is not an excellent school? I doubt it.

:thumbup: I totally agree with you.

I guess some people like the prestige of rankings.

Buckeye(OH) said:

There ARE categories that rank the overall top schools in US News.

Yeah, but not the ones where teh DO schools are ranked.

Buckeye(OH) said:
Yeah, but not the ones where teh DO schools are ranked.

The 2 I am talking about is Research & Primary Care.

Primary Care DOES.

:sleep: :sleep: :sleep:
useless rankings. Who freakin cares. :rolleyes:

jbone said:
:sleep: :sleep: :sleep:
useless rankings. Who freakin cares. :rolleyes:

The only people who "insult" the rankings are those whose schools are not ranked.

Fitting, isn't it?

OSUdoc08 said:
The only people who "insult" the rankings are those whose schools are not ranked.

Fitting, isn't it?

Leave the ranking to others. You have carried it prety far in the last year and a half. It must be difficult always bringing it up... take a break.. we can take over from here.

Rankings.

When I was younger, I went to a *very* prestigious college. I hated it. It wasn't the place for me (but I was too young and foolish to see that before I chose it). It was, and still is, consistently rated in the top 20 colleges (if not the top 10) in the country.

I went back to a no-name institution. It has rarely ever been ranked. It was a perfect fit for me and I thrived. I took some of the same classes over again and let me tell you, the quality of teaching I got there was FAR better than I got at the "prestigious" institution, and not just because I actually went to class. In many cases the professors were far far better at the no-name institution, and more involved in the students, more caring about the students' well-being and learning.

So why tell you all this? To make the point that rankings don't matter if it's not the right place for you. And to make the point that a ranked institution doesn't necessarily give you a better education. You can go to the "lowest" institution and out-perform anyone from the #1 ranked institution. Just because an institution of higher learning is ranked doesn't mean it's the best.

So let's get off the ranking thing. Rankings don't mean anything in terms of learning. They can, however, make your ego feel better by allowing you to say that you went to such a school (if you're into that sort of self-validation). I don't need it. Perhaps you do.

Reactions: 1 user
ShyRem said:
Rankings.

When I was younger, I went to a *very* prestigious college. I hated it. It wasn't the place for me (but I was too young and foolish to see that before I chose it). It was, and still is, consistently rated in the top 20 colleges (if not the top 10) in the country.

I went back to a no-name institution. It has rarely ever been ranked. It was a perfect fit for me and I thrived. I took some of the same classes over again and let me tell you, the quality of teaching I got there was FAR better than I got at the "prestigious" institution, and not just because I actually went to class. In many cases the professors were far far better at the no-name institution, and more involved in the students, more caring about the students' well-being and learning.

So why tell you all this? To make the point that rankings don't matter if it's not the right place for you. And to make the point that a ranked institution doesn't necessarily give you a better education. You can go to the "lowest" institution and out-perform anyone from the #1 ranked institution. Just because an institution of higher learning is ranked doesn't mean it's the best.

So let's get off the ranking thing. Rankings don't mean anything in terms of learning.
They can, however, make your ego feel better by allowing you to say that you went to such a school (if you're into that sort of self-validation). I don't need it. Perhaps you do.

I was accepted to 4 schools, and attended the one that is ranked. This was the best decision I have ever made.

OSUdoc08 said:
I was accepted to 4 schools, and attended the one that is ranked. This was the best decision I have ever made.

Good for you! Glad things worked out for you! It doesn't mean its going to work for everyone else here though.

Well... I go to a school that's ranked in the top 25 osteopathic schools in the US!! So there! :p