[B]LOR questions????Need advise[/B]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Han solo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need your opinion or adivse. I have serious question about LOR, do dental schools even consider LOR that I did 10 years ago. I have 2 current LORs from science professors, but I am planning to ask my former boss at military for LOR that I did from 10 years back. I was surprised he still remembers all the things when I asked him. I do not know if dental schools will consider that happened 10 years back :scared: . Another thing is does LOR has to be dental or science related? Need some advise, thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Han solo said:
Need your opinion or adivse. I have serious question about LOR, do dental schools even consider LOR that I did 10 years ago. I have 2 current LORs from science professors, but I am planning to ask my former boss at military for LOR that I did from 10 years back. I was surprised he still remembers all the things when I asked him. I do not know if dental schools will consider that happened 10 years back :scared: . Another thing is does LOR has to be dental or science related? Need some advise, thanks :)

Hi there,

I don't think it should be a problem; I know friends who graduated from college 10 years ago went back and asked their professors for recs. No problem as far as I know. Also, most people respect folks from the military so getting a LOR from a military personel should be in your favor.
However, it all depends on what school you're applying to; I know Tufts requires LOR's only from science professors so you should make sure you look up on schools' requirements.

May I ask if it's ok to ask for LOR from science professor at Community College instead of University ? I heard professor at University are very hard to get along with ...

Members don't see this ad :)
martinelli said:
Hi there,

I don't think it should be a problem; I know friends who graduated from college 10 years ago went back and asked their professors for recs. No problem as far as I know. Also, most people respect folks from the military so getting a LOR from a military personel should be in your favor.
However, it all depends on what school you're applying to; I know Tufts requires LOR's only from science professors so you should make sure you look up on schools' requirements.

thanks for input, I hope it works out well............

Han solo said:

Yes, this should be A okay! The whole purpose of LOR's is to get an idea of what kind of person you are, therefore, it doesn't matter how long ago it was. As long as your recommendor can recall and write good things about you.

Most schools require 3 LOR's. They want at least two science proffesors and let you choose what the other one will be. I would send in at least 3 letters: Two letters from science professors (different concentrations, i.e. Biology and Chemistry) and one letter from a former boss or dentist. If you can get both, more power to ya.