AZPOD c/o 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are you guys getting emails or things in the mail from Azpod? I am not and it seems a little odd that I have not really received anything from them (besides my free pair of scrubs) regarding beginning school. Is this the case for all of you or am I out of the loop?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you guys getting emails or things in the mail from Azpod? I am not and it seems a little odd that I have not really received anything from them (besides my free pair of scrubs) regarding beginning school. Is this the case for all of you or am I out of the loop?
I haven't gotten anything yet, not even my free scrubs, but I am planning on calling tomorrow and double checking so if I find something out, I will let you know.

Are we supposed to save the scrubs for 'official use' or should I use them as my PJs. lol.

The orientation stuff is posted on online.midwestern.edu in a letter (with a link) and information about the times/dates/etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey I thought we were to get scrubs and stuff regarding orientation but haven't gotten anythign yet.. where do we put in our size for scrubs anywayz?

ASH

hey I thought we were to get scrubs and stuff regarding orientation but haven't gotten anythign yet.. where do we put in our size for scrubs anywayz?

ASH
The letter that we got saying that we got free scrubs has an internet address where you say what size you need. As far as anything for orientation, I haven't gotten anything in the mail either, but you can find all of the info online on the online.midwestern.edu site. There is a welcome letter with another website that has the orientation info. If you need it, I can email the stuff to you.

For a majority of you crazy smart individuals admitted to mwu, you will be like a duck in water here.
however, if you find yourself in danger and struggling at on the first couple of tests its ok to ask your advisers for help, speaking from experience they are great people who will try their hardest to help you make the transition. Aslo dont hesitate to email or wave me down in class. trust me, you are not alone.
thanks

Last edited:
Well, first off i would like to say i have had the pleasure at being apart of the azpod program for a year. i want to start out by saying i am entirely grateful and happy to still be here. with that said, I thought i would drop some friendly advice for all the incoming students.
1. For the 1st month school, put it into overdrive! im talking about only taking a total of one hour to eat every day, and study the rest.
2. As soon as you get a packet of material to study, jump on it. for some you may have your packets of class material in your on campus mail box by the weekend before class starts. Dont waste that weekend, get started.

3. once you get a good set of grades on a each test, then you can ease back into a more sane study schedule. but please, dont wait for your test scores to come back before you kick it into overdrive.. by then it may be too late.
you will be running a marathon, start out as fast as you can go,

im sure my fellow mwu pod students can back me up on this.

For some, studying this much is crazy. but for others, this is needed during your first couple of months.

sadly in my first year, i got behind in anat. and now i will be joining your class this year in anat. in a sense, i am exposing myself in hopes to further motivate every one that students falling behind at mwu is a reality.
on a more personal note, i had never taken anat in undergrad. If you are in a similar position as i was, please take my warning seriously and dont hesitate to email me.

For a majority of you crazy smart individuals admitted to mwu, you will be like a duck in water here.
however, if you find yourself in danger and struggling at on the first couple of tests its ok to ask your advisors for help, speaking frorm experience they are great people who will try their hardest to help you make the transition. Aslo dont hesitate to email or wave me down in class. trust me, you are not alone.
thanks
Isaac p

ps. if you have any further questions about my situation, or problems you are facing here at mwu, please personal message me. Out of respect for the school , its best to answer them privately.

well stated

Thanks for the advice Kelus. Anyone know where we can find our schedule of classes? I'd like to get an idea of how my days will be spent.

Last time I checked our schedule wasn't posted, but you can look at the MSI schedule under block schedules. (Login to midwestern online and click on my info. You'll see the link for block schedules on the left.) We take biochem and anatomy/histo with them so it will give you an idea. Just replace OMM and ICM with our pod classes. I'm pretty sure we follow the same exam schedule too. So, first test over histo/embry on September 15 at 7:00am. See everyone at orientation in 4 days!

Wow, looks pretty intense. I guess I'd better start studying those notes they sent out. Has anyone received the biochem notes yet? I thought they said they were going to send them out, maybe we just have to email the teacher.

Wow, looks pretty intense. I guess I'd better start studying those notes they sent out. Has anyone received the biochem notes yet? I thought they said they were going to send them out, maybe we just have to email the teacher.
I don't think that they have put out the biochem notes yet. I think we are just supposed to wait for them.

Are there any current Azpod students out there that could make recommendations for us first years on any books we don't need to buy or extra books you would suggest that helped you out? We probably need all the one they suggest, but I thought I'd give it a try. Thanks

Are there any current Azpod students out there that could make recommendations for us first years on any books we don't need to buy or extra books you would suggest that helped you out? We probably need all the one they suggest, but I thought I'd give it a try. Thanks

Everyone is different, some students do just fine by using the books in the library for each course (they will all be available on reserve). But here's some tips for some of the major courses: Anatomy - Buy a Netter. You may want to get a Rohen to supplement the gross lab, some used them to prepare for lab practicals, others didn't use Rohen. The Moore and Dalley text is actually what the notes follow pretty closely, I bought the book but really didn't have much time to read it. It does have some good diagrams, but it can be argued that Netter could suffice. I don't think the edition matters much for the Netter or Rohen. Histology - Jenquira or however you spell it, and a Wheater worked OK for me. Edition may matter here as they give diagram numbers in class. Embryo - I bought the Moore and Persuad text, found it to be helpful just for the diagrams, didn't have time to read the text. Biochem, I used Lippincott for occasional reference, don't think you need the most current edition. I found the book "The Cell" to not be very useful for this class, except for one or two lectures to help clarify. When you get to Neuroscience, I think you need both the text and the atlas that they recommend, and edition matters as they will give diagram numbers in class. Physio, get the Costanza book. Generally speaking, your focus should be on the notes that are given, then use the text to clarify them.