AZCOM vs LMU-DCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Would you choose AZCOM or LMU for your medical education?

• AZCOM

Votes: 15 53.6%
  • LMU-DCOM

Votes: 13 46.4%

• Total voters

bond80009

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have been accepted to both and trying to decide where to go. I would like to have the option to specialize after medical school. I liked the location at both places.

Members don't see this ad.

Lots of good feedback if you search. Was just a thread about this a couple weeks ago. Kinda detailed after a bit, but still worth reading ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
AZCOM is regularly regarded to be in the upper tier of DO schools if such a thing exists.

I'd go with LMU-COM, its cheaper and in the end you'll be just as good of a physician.

I had an interview invite to AZCOM (that I did not attend) but ultimately chose LMU-DCOM because no matter how good AZCOM might be, I could not fathom paying over 10,000 dollars more every year to attend there when I will receive the same degree at the end. Plus I fell in love with LMU-DCOM during my interview.

Have been accepted to both and trying to decide where to go. I would like to have the option to specialize after medical school. I liked the location at both places.

Dr W looks like Bill Gates.

AZCOM is regularly regarded to be in the upper tier of DO schools if such a thing exists.

You know, every day someone claims this about a school and it's usually the same schools every time. Then someone else comes along and says that every DO school is the same (yeah, right) and you should pick the one that fits you the best. It bothers me because those people claim that every DO school is the same because the ACGME directors can't tell the difference between DO schools.

When did you guys start taking uninformed opinions from ACGME directors so seriously? Can we please acknowledge the fact that DO schools are different and stop blindly saying that Liberty U is as good as AZCOM as long as you like Liberty U? It's pathetic and those fancy ACGME directors don't take you seriously because you don't take yourself seriously.

Sorry to quote you Mehd School, this wasn't necessarily a response to you as much as something I felt needed to be said. Having said it, I agree with you and AZCOM is usually considered more established and has higher board scores.

You know, every day someone claims this about a school and it's usually the same schools every time. Then someone else comes along and says that every DO school is the same (yeah, right) and you should pick the one that fits you the best. It bothers me because those people claim that every DO school is the same because the ACGME directors can't tell the difference between DO schools.

When did you guys start taking uninformed opinions from ACGME directors so seriously? Can we please acknowledge the fact that DO schools are different and stop blindly saying that Liberty U is as good as AZCOM as long as you like Liberty U? It's pathetic and those fancy ACGME directors don't take you seriously because you don't take yourself seriously.

Sorry to quote you Mehd School, this wasn't necessarily a response to you as much as something I felt needed to be said. Having said it, I agree with you and AZCOM is usually considered more established and has higher board scores.

The education at some osteopathic schools is likely better than others. How much better? I couldn't tell you. The end result is basically the same, however, at least in terms of the Acgme match.

I recently met a 4th year from RVU that has interviews at places for anesthesia that I didn't get invites at (john hopkins, yale, and one of the harvards) despite the fact we had similar board scores and that I went to a "better" osteopathic school than he did.

If you are interested in the surgical subspecialities, however, I do think it is beneficial to go to a DO school that has an affiliated AOA residency in that field.

Last edited:
The education at some osteopathic schools is likely better than others. How much better? I couldn't tell you. The end result is basically the same, however, at least in terms of the Acgme match.

I recently met a 4th year from RVU that has interviews at places for anesthesia that I didn't get invites at (john hopkins, yale, and one of the harvards) despite the fact we had similar board scores and that I went to a "better" osteopathic school than he did.

If you are interested in the surgical subspecialities, however, I do think it is beneficial to go to a DO school that has an affiliated AOA residency in that field.

Do you know where I can find what AOA residencies a school is affiliated with? Do I need need to check with each school?

Wow! I didn't know our board scores were posted. I've attended LMU-DCOM for two years and I still don't know the average board scores [and by board scores I assume you mean Step 1 and Step 2, which are technically licensing examinations and not board examinations (which come after residency), although this is a minor point]. Could you please elaborate so that I can become more informed.....I'd love to know our average?

While AZCOM is likely to have higher Step 1 scores, nobody really knows for sure and after doing a quick glance at AZCOM's website the pass rate for step 1 is posted, but the average COMLEX score is not available that I could see. So basically your contention about "higher scores" is merely a guess.

I will concede that AZCOM is more established, but is it worth $60,000 more plus interest??? Current tuition at AZCOM = $55,267, and current tuition at LMU-DCOM =$40,200.00 (which is $15,000 more per year x 4).

We produce very good match results (as does AZCOM). Both are great schools. The OP is in a great position. Attend whichever school you feel is a better fit (TN is way different than Arizona and both have good and bad qualities). Also, assess your finances and determine if it really is worth the significantly inflated tuition.

Good luck!

Last edited: