AZCOM, NYCOM, PCOM, Western q's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neurotrancer

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all...I'm new to this forum.

I am planning on applying to AZCOM, PCOM, NYCOM, and Western this coming term and was wondering if anyone could enlighten me about a few general questions...

1) I'm planning on re-taking my MCAT and am looking at achieving a score in the low to mid 30's. I didn't get any allopathic admissions thus far (I was waitlisted at Temple, and EVMS, and have an interview coming up in Drexel where I'll probably be wait listed again, its so late in the admissions cycle). I truly, deeply regret not applying to osteopathic schools. I'm at a point now where I almost hope I don't get into any of these schools because I would likely choose osteopathic over allopathic when I re-apply for the most part. Do you think that the D.O. school to which I apply will end up looking at me as someone who is using them as a backup? Or will they realize I am genuinely interested in osteopathic medicine.

2.1) Can anyone tell me about the nature of 3rd/4th year rotations at these schools? I'm concerned about AZCOM's preceptor based rotations, but I hear you can do most of your 3/4th year rotations out of state. Is this true?

2.2) how about rotations at PCOM? I heard they are not so good because the students aren't able to rotate through major teaching hospitals? Do you think this is unfounded? I hear nothing but good things about PCOM and its in my state...

2.3) I heard that NYCOM rotations are supposed to be very good, but for obvious reasons I'm a little leary about committing to spending the next four years in NYC. Any input on the nature of rotations at this school?

2.4) my most important q about these rotations at all these schools - do they give exams at the end of each rotations block?

I think assessment is very important, as it keeps one on their toes and also the student is made aware of the extent of their knowledge.

3) Is it true that Western's 1st and 2nd year basic sciences aren't very good? I read on another thread that they are pretty brutal and use letter grades, fail students...

This is troubling because I really like the idea of going to that part of the country for medical school and I am under the impression that aside from not testing students during the 3rd/4th year rotations, the students get the chance to rotate through good hospitals.

4) Do any of these schools have special masters programs where you can take the 1st year medical school courses starting this August? I know AZCOM does, but how about any of the others?

5) What is a "traditional rotating internship"? I see this on the match result pages for some medical colleges, where people do these instead of say, Family practice, anesthesiology, etc. for their PGY-1.

6) I saw that in 2002, only 70% of osteopathic medical students matched for PGY-1 residencies. Has anyone else seen this statistic? That just can't be right! There's got to be some complication there...

http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/tables/table2_2002.pdf

Thanks a lot for your help and I look forward to hearing from you!

-Bevan

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to go only osteopathic, only apply to osteopathic schools, then it can't look like it's a back up.

I also realized that DO was the way for me after 2 rounds of rejections at MD schools (hadn't applied to osteopathic schools first 2 times around) and then when I interviewed osteopathic and was asked if I applied to allopathic schools I said, honestly, "no I want to be a DO", and that made a very good impression. It's a lot easier to be accepted into DO schools, so I would say you don't need to apply allopathic at all if you are decently competitive (MCAT of at least 24 and gpa of at least 3.0). You should be able to get into an osteopathic school.

You may not need to retake your MCAT. My class averaged around 24. Why retake that damn test if you don't have to?

I know all of your questions about AZCOM have been answered previously on this website. I would search the threads "Any questions for a current AZCOM student" and "AZCOM 2007". You may have to go back more than 30 days to read them, but they would be worthwhile. You may also want to just search the whole Osteopathic section for longer ago than 30 days for the rest of your questions, too. They've probably been answered.

Good luck!

kristin
MS II
AZCOM