Awesome Gap Year Opportunity: National Health Corps Americorps Member Recruitment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicalDoge

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I am serving in the National Health Corps Florida (Jacksonville) Americorps group for my gap year. It has been an amazing experience, and I thoroughly recommend it for all pre-meds looking for a meaningful and "hands-on" gap year. Please inbox me if you would like more information on applying or to get you in touch with the director. I will list some of the big pros of the program here, and feel free to post any general questions to this thread so that I can answer them for everyone.

- 1700 hours of clinical service to medically underserved populations
- Diverse host sites that you can choose from to serve different populations (children, mentally ill, homeless, chemically dependent, pregnant, etc.)
- Great Public Health exposure
- 10.5 month commitment that aligns perfectly with a gap year (September-July)
- Allotted time off for medical school interviews!! NO stress!
- Monthly non-clinical service projects (Habitat for Humanity, Special Olympics, etc.)
- Leadership positions available (Committees)
- $5815 Education award to use for medical school!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
How competitive is the program and what's your opinion on their allowance amount?

Reactions: 1 user
I would say not that competitive, I believe they currently have 36 applications for 24 spots. They also love to take pre-meds so that future doctors will be aware of barriers to healthcare. The most competitive host site within the program (where you would actually be serving) is UF Health, because everyone wants that one lol.

The allowance amount of $990 after taxes is very doable with a roommate, as Jacksonville's COL is low compared to other cities. Cannot speak for the National Health Corps programs in other cities. However, you also get a $5800 education award at the end of your service term to use for medical school :). Also, they give you free health insurance if you need it.

EDIT: Upon further research, this program is fairly competitive. Get your applications in quick. If you are a solid applicant and apply ASAP, you should be in good shape. Also, both the stipend and Education Award will be increased next term.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
How about housing? Do they subsidize the rent or is the housing completely free?
I think that's what I'm most concerned about :/

Unfortunately, they do not subsidize housing, which is why the stipend is a little bigger for this program because they do not include housing. However, the program director and coordinator have connections in the area and are very good at finding great deals. Before you come, they will send a spreadsheet of good housing options.

COL in Jacksonville is pretty cheap compared to other cities.

Hi, thank you for this!

What's the community like within the program? I realize that you all are at different service sites and there is a retreat and monthly volunteer opportunities as a group, but does that really allow for good friendships to be fostered among the cohort? Also, do you or does anyone else that you know of live with a fellow NHC member?

Thank you :)

If anyone is concerned about budgeting, you should be eligible for SNAP and Medicaid benefits during your AmeriCorps tenure.

Hi, thank you for this!

What's the community like within the program? I realize that you all are at different service sites and there is a retreat and monthly volunteer opportunities as a group, but does that really allow for good friendships to be fostered among the cohort? Also, do you or does anyone else that you know of live with a fellow NHC member?

Thank you :)

We hangout as a group almost every weekend, during the twice-monthly service projects, and during monthly member training day. Everyone in the group is extremely nice, sociable, and intelligent. Truly great people! Also, we are all from different parts of the country, ranging from California to Wisconsin to Iowa to Jacksonville. I think it is really cool that the group is split between public health, pre-med, and people that are undecided with their careers. This serves to bring in a lot of different perspectives. In summary, the camaraderie and vibe within the group is top-notch.

Virtually everyone in the group has a roommate that is in Americorps. Once accepted, the program staff will give you the contact information of other accepted individuals.

If anyone is concerned about budgeting, you should be eligible for SNAP and Medicaid benefits during your AmeriCorps tenure.

This is true! Unless you have a fairly large savings account. They give you free health insurance in this program as well, no need to apply for medicaid

Awesome, thank you! Also, do you have any suggestions/recommendations for completing the NHC program questionnaire/all of the subsequent interviews? I really want to participate in NHC Philly, so any advice you could provide at all for the application process would be greatly appreciated--even if its not super competitive. Thank you!

Awesome, thank you! Also, do you have any suggestions/recommendations for completing the NHC program questionnaire/all of the subsequent interviews? I really want to participate in NHC Philly, so any advice you could provide at all for the application process would be greatly appreciated--even if its not super competitive. Thank you!

Honestly I do not remember those questionnaires that well. I just remember looking up the host sites before the interviews to get an idea of what population they serve and what the tasks would be. This will help you prepare for the interviews and ask good questions. I really was just ready to explain my goals in the medical field and how this program would help me be a better physician in the future (being mindful of barriers, being an advocate, willingness to doing the "boring" parts of healthcare that are vital to healthcare access). Also, if you have past experience with public health in any manner, try to bring that up and explain how you could use that experience to help you in the program.

PLEASE NOTE that I am not really sure exactly how competitive the process is. At this point all I know is that the NHC Jacksonville is getting more applications this year than usual, and I have no idea how competitive the other locations are. So don't quote me on that haha.

Honestly I do not remember those questionnaires that well. I just remember looking up the host sites before the interviews to get an idea of what population they serve and what the tasks would be. This will help you prepare for the interviews and ask good questions. I really was just ready to explain my goals in the medical field and how this program would help me be a better physician in the future (being mindful of barriers, being an advocate, willingness to doing the "boring" parts of healthcare that are vital to healthcare access). Also, if you have past experience with public health in any manner, try to bring that up and explain how you could use that experience to help you in the program.

PLEASE NOTE that I am not really sure exactly how competitive the process is. At this point all I know is that the NHC Jacksonville is getting more applications this year than usual, and I have no idea how competitive the other locations are. So don't quote me on that haha.

Awesome, thank you for this! Also just wondering--what sorts of questions did you ask? I have an interview soon, and I cannot come up with very many less than obvious ones, aside from how this organization came into existence and what exactly goes into our training.

Awesome, thank you for this! Also just wondering--what sorts of questions did you ask? I have an interview soon, and I cannot come up with very many less than obvious ones, aside from how this organization came into existence and what exactly goes into our training.

Cool! Are your interviews with NHC Philly or Florida?

Just be ready to explain how you can use past experiences to help you during your service term and be familiar with the program

Anonymity - So glad you made this post! I'm also in NHC and it has been such a great experience - I wish everyone knew about it. I'm over in Philly so I can answer Philly specific questions. I know Philly is pretty competitive. Last year our coordinator said there were about 250 applications for 26 spots.

Anonymity - So glad you made this post! I'm also in NHC and it has been such a great experience - I wish everyone knew about it. I'm over in Philly so I can answer Philly specific questions. I know Philly is pretty competitive. Last year our coordinator said there were about 250 applications for 26 spots.

Hey hey! That's crazy! I think out applications are a bit over 100 now as well...I didn't know it was this competitive when I applied!

I am currently applying to medical school; however, if I do not get in during the coming few months, I was considering applying for a position with the National Health Corps. I am specifically interested in the Philadelphia and Chicago locations, but the problem is that I am a Florida resident and I do not want to lose out on my Florida residency. Do you know if living in another state for the duration of the program would cause me to lose my residency in the state of Florida? If so, would my new residency status be in Pennsylvania or Illinois if I am accepted and go through with the program? If anyone has any insight on this matter, I would greatly appreciate it.

Hey hey! That's crazy! I think out applications are a bit over 100 now as well...I didn't know it was this competitive when I applied!
Same! I thought everyone that applied got it. At the beginning of the year they told us how competitive it is and that 250 people had applied and we thought they meant 250 applied to all four sites not just one Who knew!

Same! I thought everyone that applied got it. At the beginning of the year they told us how competitive it is and that 250 people had applied and we thought they meant 250 applied to all four sites not just one Who knew!

I wonder what the "yield" is though? How many people that apply actually follow through with the whole process if they make it through? I'm curious now

I am currently applying to medical school; however, if I do not get in during the coming few months, I was considering applying for a position with the National Health Corps. I am specifically interested in the Philadelphia and Chicago locations, but the problem is that I am a Florida resident and I do not want to lose out on my Florida residency. Do you know if living in another state for the duration of the program would cause me to lose my residency in the state of Florida? If so, would my new residency status be in Pennsylvania or Illinois if I am accepted and go through with the program? If anyone has any insight on this matter, I would greatly appreciate it.

Hello! Sorry I can't be too helpful for this question, as I was a GA resident and moved to Florida for the program. Florida wouldn't let me be considered in-state because I did not move in 1 year before matriculation. However, since you've been in Florida your whole life and your parents are there (I am assuming), I believe you should stay a Florida resident. I have no clue what the policy is for Pennsylvania or Illinois. I would call a school from each state and see what they say the requirements are.

If I were to guess, I would think you would keep your Florida residency, and possibly even gain residency in either Pennsylvania or Illinois depending on which program you go to. Sometimes, schools just go by what your AMCAS address is (yours would be Florida I assume).

For those applying to the national health corps- when you search on the Americorps app portal, also tick “healthy futures” and “public health” or terms you’re passionate about. I’m in a non-NHC Americorps site and I’m getting similar experience OP initially posted. I’d love more time off between the end of my term to the beginning of med school but it’s alright. There are def times I’ve wanted to leave bc of not feeling appreciated ($ and site specific reasons) enough for the amount of time my peers and I dedicate. I’ve met interesting ppl across the nation and was able to do a lot of clinical/implementation projects with my peers. Seeing the impact and interacting with the pts we see humbles me and has def gotten me interested in PH and underserved care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those applying to the national health corps- when you search on the Americorps app portal, also tick “healthy futures” and “public health” or terms you’re passionate about. I’m in a non-NHC Americorps site and I’m getting similar experience OP initially posted. I’d love more time off between the end of my term to the beginning of med school but it’s alright. There are def times I’ve wanted to leave bc of not feeling appreciated ($ and site specific reasons) enough for the amount of time my peers and I dedicate. I’ve met interesting ppl across the nation and was able to do a lot of clinical/implementation projects with my peers. Seeing the impact and interacting with the pts we see humbles me and has def gotten me interested in PH and underserved care.

I’d say during interviews, also see if you could see yourself working with the interviewers. Current Americorps members might be on your interview panel, so def ask them pros and cons of the job, but also know to take them with a grain of salt if their site supervisor is present obvi. Ask for specifics of the things they do and how many hrs to expect per week. Ask how the members work together and what an average day looks like. For my site, it’s easy to reach 50hrs/wk and I’m glad I knew that from day 1.

Hello all!

I am serving in the National Health Corps Florida (Jacksonville) Americorps group for my gap year. It has been an amazing experience, and I thoroughly recommend it for all pre-meds looking for a meaningful and "hands-on" gap year. Please inbox me if you would like more information on applying or to get you in touch with the director. I will list some of the big pros of the program here, and feel free to post any general questions to this thread so that I can answer them for everyone.

- 1700 hours of clinical service to medically underserved populations
- Diverse host sites that you can choose from to serve different populations (children, mentally ill, homeless, chemically dependent, pregnant, etc.)
- Great Public Health exposure
- 10.5 month commitment that aligns perfectly with a gap year (September-July)
- Allotted time off for medical school interviews!! NO stress!
- Monthly non-clinical service projects (Habitat for Humanity, Special Olympics, etc.)
- Leadership positions available (Committees)
- $5815 Education award to use for medical school!

hey! any tips on how to apply for this (a link to the page for example, I can't find it)? is it in other cities as well?