Away Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RS6

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys....thanks for all the helpful advice so far on this forum. i am currently a third year student and i was curious about doing away rotations. i plan to do an ai at my home school first. then, i was planning to do 2 more ai's during august and september. do you think that doing 3 ai's in a row is too much? will i get burned out? also, does doing 3 ai's look bad to pd's in any way? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

RS6 said:
hey guys....thanks for all the helpful advice so far on this forum. i am currently a third year student and i was curious about doing away rotations. i plan to do an ai at my home school first. then, i was planning to do 2 more ai's during august and september. do you think that doing 3 ai's in a row is too much? will i get burned out? also, does doing 3 ai's look bad to pd's in any way? thanks.[/QiUOTE]

You will be exhausted at the end of 3 months of AI's, but doing the away rotations will give you a really good look at programs (so you know what you are getting) because anyone can put on a good show for a day...and you don't want to end up someplace that is totally not what you thought it was. Plus, you have a better shot at places where you are a known commodity.

I don't know if you necessarily have a better chance at a place that you rotate at. Like my old mentor said in med school: "You can be golden for a day, but nobody can be golden for a month." I didn't do any away rotations, but I think that if you really like one or two programs, doing one can be good for you if you really buckle down and work like a beast while you are there. I would do research for a month instead of doing that third away rotation. That will help you in getting into any of the programs that you apply to.