away rotations for student in Puerto Rico intereted in Med-Peds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nikkimd11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm currently a third year medical student soon to be 4th year. I learned very little ago about the existence of Med-Peds and am now almost sure that is what i'd like to pursue. I am a student in Puerto Rico and was wondering how many rotations should/do I have to complete on the US mainland. I do have an elective in Med-Peds already scheduled and hopefully will have another in a Pediatric Sub-internship. Is it ok if I complete my internal medicine elective in Puerto Rico or would it be best if I do it in one of the states?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I'm currently a third year medical student soon to be 4th year. I learned very little ago about the existence of Med-Peds and am now almost sure that is what i'd like to pursue. I am a student in Puerto Rico and was wondering how many rotations should/do I have to complete on the US mainland. I do have an elective in Med-Peds already scheduled and hopefully will have another in a Pediatric Sub-internship. Is it ok if I complete my internal medicine elective in Puerto Rico or would it be best if I do it in one of the states?

I think your rotation schedule will be OK for most med-peds programs. Having a med-peds elective will already make you stand out amongst the applicants. Having a peds sub-I and medicine sub-I are icing on the cake.