Away rotations for IM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Acoustica

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've received some very mixed advice about whether or not to do an away rotation if I were going into internal medicine. The gist is that I'm from California, but am going to school out in the midwest...In the ideal world I'd go back closer to my family for residency.

What are your thoughts on whether to not to do this? So faculty have been 50/50 saying to do it if it weren't inconvinent or too expensive. Other say that if I want to go to a specific city that I should. A panel of M4s who matched in a city they wanted to be at all said they did not do it.

Members don't see this ad.

I've received some very mixed advice about whether or not to do an away rotation if I were going into internal medicine. The gist is that I'm from California, but am going to school out in the midwest...In the ideal world I'd go back closer to my family for residency.

What are your thoughts on whether to not to do this? So faculty have been 50/50 saying to do it if it weren't inconvinent or too expensive. Other say that if I want to go to a specific city that I should. A panel of M4s who matched in a city they wanted to be at all said they did not do it.

were any of those in california? because it's a whole different story if the city they wanted to be is in kansas vs california

Reactions: 1 user
In general, I would advise that if you are going into a specialty that does not require doing away rotations (such as IM), you should NOT do any. The risk of accidentally shooting yourself in the foot is most often not worth it. Especially if your application is already strong.

Anecdotally, I know plenty of folks who matched to IM where they had zero ties. Without doing aways. They also had good apps.