Away Rotation Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AllDay24

Veteran Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
New to the derm forum, sorry for asking a very basic question:

Where is the google doc for aways and seeing if they got interviews?
How many aways does one typically apply to if they wanna do 3 aways?

Members don't see this ad.

New to the derm forum, sorry for asking a very basic question:

Where is the google doc for aways and seeing if they got interviews?
How many aways does one typically apply to if they wanna do 3 aways?

Google Doc = http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...into-dermatology.739749/page-19#post-18175396

Hopefully someone with more recent experiences can chime in on how many are necessary to apply and whether the centralized system for applying to aways is up and running.

I unfortunately applied in the dinosaur age of calling program coordinators and faxing in away rotation applications. They would often get lost or mishandled leading medical students to "hoard" aways and then cancel 1-2 days before they were meant to show up. Hopefully things are better now

Members don't see this ad :)
@AllDay24 Yes most programs accept VSAS. How many you need to apply to depends on you and how flexible your schedule is, and where you're willing to live for a month. If you want to do 3 aways I would apply for 5-6 programs and then see what comes back. If you are really motivated to do 3 then apply for as many as you want, since you might get multiple offers for the same month. Keep in mind not all schools are on the same schedule too which makes applying for and scheduling aways a real headache, thus you may want to keep it as simple as possible by limiting apps.

Thanks everyone, super helpful to me being new to the derm forum!

I am fine with applying to several programs (~8-10) but I am worried about them being mad that I declined after being accepted for an away. Is that an issue or not really?

THANK YOU!

I think for the most part it would be fine, just let them know as you can that you will be unable to make it/afford it at this time. Some places only have so many spots (others take all). That way others can come if you don't. good luck

I think it's fine to decline an offer provided you do so at least 6-8 weeks ahead of time so they have time to find someone else to fill the spot. Can't say how it would affect your chances at that program, but it seems like most school have coordinators (non-MD) who handle scheduling who probably have nothing to do with the interview process but again, this may not be the case everywhere. Prioritize programs that you would most prefer to rotate at.

I've heard a few people are personally reaching out to the programs prior to applying through vsas for programs they definitely want to rotate at to show interest.
Is this a viable option?
If so, what should we include in a message to them?

I've heard a few people are personally reaching out to the programs prior to applying through vsas for programs they definitely want to rotate at to show interest.
Is this a viable option?
If so, what should we include in a message to them?

I did my away rotations in the age prior to VSAS so please forgive me if the advice isn't accurate.

I think now that VSAS does exist, I don't think it would be necessary to personally reach out to programs prior to applying. Now if all the away rotation slots have filled, then it may be worth a personal message to see if they could potentially add you on. (Again, I don't know how the VSAS system works so you may want to check with someone in your dean's office for a more up to date view)

Reactions: 1 user
Does VSAS application require submitting grades, STEP, recommendations or anything of that kind?

Does VSAS application require submitting grades, STEP, recommendations or anything of that kind?
Yes they require a Step 1 score report and a transcript. Some programs require a recommendation letter or personal statement. You'd have to check individual institution requirements on VSAS for that.

Reactions: 1 users
Which months are typically the busiest for away rotations/the hardest to schedule an away during?
Are the months of May and June typically easier to secure an away at the place of your choice?

Which months are typically the busiest for away rotations/the hardest to schedule an away during?
Are the months of May and June typically easier to secure an away at the place of your choice?

May and June are typically easier to secure an away depending on how your school's calendar is setup as compared to the program's calendar. For most places I've come across, July is the start of the new year. July can be a difficult time for rotators as the residency program is trying to integrate its new residents.

August is probably the best month for rotators which typically makes it one of the busiest.

Reactions: 1 user

I would like to do an away in June but it seems like most schools say "you must be in the final year of your medical school training at the time of the rotation." Wouldn't that not permit June away rotations? Can I just ignore that? (hope so!)

do we need a dermatoscope for aways, or will that look like I'm trying too hard?

no you dont. those things are expensive and no med student needs one

Reactions: 5 users