Away rotation advice??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mpsheeha

IRISH
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to make out my schedule for the fourth year and I am interested in derm. Does anyone have advice on a good away rotation where I can learn a lot and enjoy the people I work with? Also, I am not sure how to set up away rotations. Do you simply email the department and ask about open spots?? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Do your away rotations at an institution you want to impress and at which you have a chance when it comes time for residency applications. See if the program has a website that could have information for visiting students doing aways. You should probably call the department instead of email IMO. I'm working with a med student right now who's trying to set up away rotations and has gotten more accomplished over the phone than email.

Also, some programs have requirements you need to meet... certification of certain kinds of training, approval from your home program, transcripts, application fee for example.

You should definitely do at least 1 away rotation, but getting one arranged can be awfully tough, so get on it early and be persistent.

Thanks for the help!