Away Rotation Advice for East Coast IM Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

echidna001

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know the general consensus is that away rotations are unnecessary and maybe even risky for IM. I am coming from a MD state school that traditionally doesn't send a lot of students to East Coast programs. Most students I've spoken to in my class are interested in staying more local, so some of this may very well be that most students don't apply to many East Coast programs. I'm originally from NY state and would love to give myself the opportunity to end up back in that part of the country.

There is one specific East Coast program that I am very interested in and am above their current step one range (according to FREIDA anyway). Is it worth the risk and expense of trying to do an away at this location next fall? I've done well on my rotations so far and received good remarks. I am worried that the adjustment period of a new city/new hospital/new EMR may not allow me to put my best foot forward right away but I would hate to not receive an interview there if I could get my foot in the door with an away. I have received some conflicting advice from my advisors so I wanted to see if anyone on here had any input!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
it is one program and unless you're an absolute superstar on paper (relative to that program), rotating there will give you a better chance matching there than depending on luck during match season and hoping your interview goes well.
If you are the best as they get on paper (again relative to that program), then you probably shouldn't rotate there as your app might give you more chance of matching there.
I am not too sure you need worry that much about the new city/new hospital as pretty much all students going into surgical subs and derm are required to do away rotations and they are managing all right.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for your advice! I am above average on paper relative to this program but am certainly not a superstar. I also worry that coming from a lower tier medical school, I probably will be viewed as more average than my stats otherwise show (at least by programs that aren't traditional feeder programs for my school).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your advice! I am above average on paper relative to this program but am certainly not a superstar. I also worry that coming from a lower tier medical school, I probably will be viewed as more average than my stats otherwise show (at least by programs that aren't traditional feeder programs for my school).

If you believe the odds are on the lower side that you’d get an interview and you have nothing to lose I would absolutely do it and see if you can get facetime with the pd. Worst case is probably wouldn’t have gotten an interview and maybe if you’re excellent clinically you bought yourself one. I think it’s worth the risk if you’re dealing with the circumstances above

If you believe the odds are on the lower side that you’d get an interview and you have nothing to lose I would absolutely do it and see if you can get facetime with the pd. Worst case is probably wouldn’t have gotten an interview and maybe if you’re excellent clinically you bought yourself one. I think it’s worth the risk if you’re dealing with the circumstances above

Thank you, this confirmed my rational. I've been trying to determine which mistake I would rather make. Like you said, if I do the away and don't get the interview, I probably wouldn't have gotten one anyway. My rotation evals have been good so far, so I doubt an in person performance would hurt me. If I don't do the away and don't get the interview, I'll never know if it would have slightly tipped the balance in my favor. Stats wise, I should have a good chance at an interview. I just don't know how low my chances go coming from a lower tier school who doesn't traditionally send students to this area.

Thank you, this confirmed my rational. I've been trying to determine which mistake I would rather make. Like you said, if I do the away and don't get the interview, I probably wouldn't have gotten one anyway. My rotation evals have been good so far, so I doubt an in person performance would hurt me. If I don't do the away and don't get the interview, I'll never know if it would have slightly tipped the balance in my favor. Stats wise, I should have a good chance at an interview. I just don't know how low my chances go coming from a lower tier school who doesn't traditionally send students to this area.
If this is a competitive program and the odds are not in your favor about them ranking you high just based on app and interview, you should definitely go. Not just getting an interview, if they really like they will put you on high up on their rank list. If they don't like you, your chance is gone but I don't think chances would be that much higher with an average app and interview

If this is a competitive program and the odds are not in your favor about them ranking you high just based on app and interview, you should definitely go. Not just getting an interview, if they really like they will put you on high up on their rank list. If they don't like you, your chance is gone but I don't think chances would be that much higher with an average app and interview

It's more competitive than my home program, although not the traditionally spoke of "top 20" or anything. But yeah, I would like to avoid blending in with all of the other very good but not rock star applications. I have some unique things on my resume that may set me apart (things that this program in particular might be interested in), but that's pure speculation on my part. Even still, if I have more of chance to talk about those things over 4 months instead of in a high stress interview situation - all the better my chances.

Don't do an away. Risks outweigh potential benefits. Only makes sense in very small specialties, like ortho or plastics, where you get to know everyone. Remember, You WON'T be a superstar, because nobody is.
IM programs are huge, so they need to rank a lot of candidates to fill the program. Just apply broadly and do well on your interviews, you'll do fine.

Don't do an away. Risks outweigh potential benefits. Only makes sense in very small specialties, like ortho or plastics, where you get to know everyone. Remember, You WON'T be a superstar, because nobody is.
IM programs are huge, so they need to rank a lot of candidates to fill the program. Just apply broadly and do well on your interviews, you'll do fine.

This is true except in the scenario where an interview Outright is unlikely. The way to know this is to talk to an advisor and see if anyone has interviewed/matched in IM at that program before. If it’s, top students/aoa only OR no one then there’s absolutely no harm. I too came from a low tier med school and received bad advice on this as a student. Generally speaking it is true that aways are unnecessary for IM but this scenario is a bit unique and I tend to agree it’s worth it

Also @echidna001 some more specifics on your stats and the specific program would be Helpful to weigh on, can even do it over PM if you prefer. But that would be how I/we could give you the best advice

I don't think it's worth it. I went to a upper tier east coast IM program and saw students who rotated and it seemed like a complete waste of time. They were usually on some subspecialty consult service or something, working mostly with the resident or fellow. They barely seemed to interact with attendings let alone the PD, it honestly didn't even feel like they were there. I know they probably spent a ton of money being there, but there were a lot of rotating students, so standing out isn't so simple. Maybe if you couldn't live with yourself if you didn't try, it's up to you, but there are lots of great programs out there and no need to focus on one single program.