Away research rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toadkiller Dog

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy folks--

I am at a small state MD school, and we have no ophthalmology program. I am currently a second year, and we have the option of doing an away research rotation at another school at the beginning of our third year (we push psych to our 4th year).

My question is this: if I am seriously interested in ops (and I am), will an away research rotation at another med school be worth the hassle? I am in the top quartile of my class, and I believe my board scores will be high (my shelf scores have all been ~90th percentile). I did research over the summer in neuroscience (developing eyeballs), but it was basic science/bench research type stuff.

Also, any tips ya'll might have for setting up such a rotation would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Toadkiller Dog
Howdy folks--

I am at a small state MD school, and we have no ophthalmology program. I am currently a second year, and we have the option of doing an away research rotation at another school at the beginning of our third year (we push psych to our 4th year).

My question is this: if I am seriously interested in ops (and I am), will an away research rotation at another med school be worth the hassle? I am in the top quartile of my class, and I believe my board scores will be high (my shelf scores have all been ~90th percentile). I did research over the summer in neuroscience (developing eyeballs), but it was basic science/bench research type stuff.

Also, any tips ya'll might have for setting up such a rotation would be appreciated.

I think away clinical rotations at strong academic programs are more helpful than away research experiences. Try looking into doing a clinical month in ophthalmology at programs that interest you.

If there is a specific program that you are interested in, you may want to try and arrange a research or clinical elective there.

When it comes to reviewing your application, they will take into consideration that you did an elective there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with MudPhud.

When you do away clinical rotation at an institution you hope to match, they know who you are. You'll meet all the people who'll vote for the candidates. Definitely a big plus when it comes time for interview. The program gets 300 applications; having them know you is a big advantage. Just be sure to show your best side.

Another benefit of doing this is you also get to know them. It's like having a trial period before a BIG purchase. You get to see what the program really is like, something impossible to do with one or even two day interviews.

Thanks-

I am fulling intending to do at least 2 *clinical* away rotations during my 4th year. I was speaking specifically of trying to arrange an away research rotation during my 3rd year. A few students at my school have done it in the past (mainly those trying to get into competitive specialties).

Dr. Doan seems to think I should skip it and just worry about the clinical rotations. Anyone out there done anything like this?