Avoiding sounding arrogant- Closed File Interview.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OntologicalDamnation

Membership Revoked
Removed
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview at a medical school coming up soon which is going to be a closed file interview. This would require me to reiterate parts of my application throughout the interview. My concern is how one should approach the fine line between either choosing to "impress" the interviewers with your experiences and potentially sounding arrogant or choosing to be a bit more humble/chill and potentially not "wowing" the committee. For instance, I published multiple papers in undergrad. I guess I can modulate my tone and use certain statements such as " I was fortunate to have worked with excellent mentors/ a great team of students and ultimately, co-author" X number of articles. Therefore, I can get my point across through acknowledging other people and thus, avoiding sounding arrogant. However, does anyone else have any other ideas? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The phrasing certainly matters and it seems you're aware of being tactful in that regard. I think what's most important is context. Bringing up your publications or whatever when supporting a relevant point that the interviewer asks you about makes sense. What may come off as arrogant is when it seems like you're trying to shoehorn your accomplishments into everything when all the interviewer asked you is "tell me what you like to do in your free time."

Reactions: 4 users
I have an interview at a medical school coming up soon which is going to be a closed file interview. This would require me to reiterate parts of my application throughout the interview. My concern is how one should approach the fine line between either choosing to "impress" the interviewers with your experiences and potentially sounding arrogant or choosing to be a bit more humble/chill and potentially not "wowing" the committee. For instance, I published multiple papers in undergrad. I guess I can modulate my tone and use certain statements such as " I was fortunate to have worked with excellent mentors/ a great team of students and ultimately, co-author" X number of articles. Therefore, I can get my point across through acknowledging other people and thus, avoiding sounding arrogant. However, does anyone else have any other ideas? Thanks!

The difference between discussing your successes and boasting about them comes down to tone and context.

Frame your accomplishments in terms of your hard work and acknowledge the good fortune you’ve had. You already know to give others credit where credit is due. Speak plainly, honestly, and directly about your successes and avoid dwelling on the same things repeatedly (e.g, it’s OK to mention that you were on a championship sports team once or twice, but don’t work that in at every opportunity). Don’t bring up accomplishments when not directly relevant to the question. Don’t sound too exuberant about how great you are, but it’s fine to acknowledge your pride in the things you’ve done. The whole reason you’re there is to sell yourself, after all.

However, I have had closed file interviews where I’ve done very little talking about my accomplishments - the personal questions were more biographical in nature, and then we discussed my ideas on various healthcare topics. Make sure you can hold a conversation about more than your AMCAS and secondary - but I’m sure you’ll be fine in that regard.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Talk to them as if you're talking to your best friend, or your gramma. You wouldn't be arrogant with gramma, would you?

Don't automatically assume that you'll be asked about things in your app, either.

Reactions: 8 users
The decision makers will have read your application and will make a decision based, in part, on what they see there.

The purpose of the closed file interview is to give interviewers the opportunity to make an assessment of your people-skills without letting their biases regarding grades, scores, publication records, and so forth color their assessment.

The policy makers at that school don't want your interviewers to know what's in your app. It isn't your job to tell them so that they will be informed before making an assessment. Answer the questions asked, be genuine, and smile in a way that says "I've been blessed/fortunate/rewarded for hard work" but don't smirk in a way that says, "I'm the greatest applicant you'll see this week"

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Talk to them as if you're talking to your best friend, or your gramma. You wouldn't be arrogant with gramma, would you?

Don't automatically assume that you'll be asked about things in your app, either.
Just don't fall into the trap of being too casual! This usually occurs more with the student interviewers

Reactions: 3 users
Also, even though the point of closed-file interviews is to get to know you without the influence of numbers and other metrics, do not be surprised if your interviewers just totally disregard that. I've had multiple "closed file" interviews and in every single one, the first 2 questions they asked me were "what is your gpa" and "what did you get on your mcat." Obviously that defeats the whole purpose but I get the feeling that some interviewers may not necessarily care about what the purpose is supposed to be and would rather operate in their own way.

Reactions: 2 users
Also, even though the point of closed-file interviews is to get to know you without the influence of numbers and other metrics, do not be surprised if your interviewers just totally disregard that. I've had multiple "closed file" interviews and in every single one, the first 2 questions they asked me were "what is your gpa" and "what did you get on your mcat." Obviously that defeats the whole purpose but I get the feeling that some interviewers may not necessarily care about what the purpose is supposed to be and would rather operate in their own way.
I have had a few closed file interviews like this. Their questions were basically asking me to recite what was on the AMCAS application point-by-point. Still, this is an opportunity to make a fresh first impression and perhaps articulate things better than they were written.

In other cases, your “accomplishments” will likely come up naturally in conversation, not because you are boastful, but because they represent experiences that are important to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try to tell stories. Don't just recite what you did like an oral resume. That's boring and not memorable. IMO it is easier to avoid sounding arrogant when you tell stories to answer questions, when appropriate.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I'd report them to the office of admissions (after the cycle is over!).

Reactions: 1 users
Just don't fall into the trap of being too casual! This usually occurs more with the student interviewers

What type of behavior constitutes being too casual? Can you give an example?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Don't treat the student interviewer as your equal. Don't say things typical of mid-20s persons, including, but not limited to:
  • "like" too often
  • any acronyms that are popular, but unprofessional (ex. FOMO)
  • anything that shows immaturity of thinking in relation to your experiences. You can use your imagination on this one, but something that comes to mind is saying anything degrading about the population you served or looking down on nurses, techs, PAs, etc.

Reactions: 2 users

Don’t be buddy-buddy with a student interviewer. Even though you may be peers in terms of age, you’re still on a professional interview. You should err on the side of calm formality. It’s fine to laugh a little, but don’t be overly jokey or funny with a student (or any interviewer). Make sure your body language isn’t too relaxed (e.g., don’t slouch, make silly hand gestures, or lean back in your chair). Those are just some examples off the top of my head.

One interviewee learned that their student interviewer was also in a fraternity and became too loose-lipped afterwards. As others have said, this is a professional interview: be normal, but don't treat the interview like you're out getting a drink with your friends

Why would you think this would require you to reiterate any part of your application? It is closed file partly to see how you simply interface in a person to person setting. If they wanted the interviewer to know about your app they would have given it to them

and you wrote your application and presumably you didnt sound arrogant there, why would you sound any different here

Status
Not open for further replies.