AVMA accredited Schools outside of the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Millisevert

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone applying to schools outside of the US?

Here is the entire list of all of the vet schools located outside of the US that are accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) for licensure to practice in the US after graduating: :thumbup:

Canada
Calgary
Guelph
UPEI
Montreal -> Instruction is in French
Saskatchewan
Australia
Murdoch
Melbourne
Sydney
New Zealand
Massey
UK
RVC-London
Glasgow
Edinburgh
Netherlands
Netherlands -> Instruction is in Dutch

Members don't see this ad.

I heard back from Glasgow. I'm very excited, but I'll need to choose between taking the interview in New York or San Francisco.

i applied to glasgow & edinburgh---both of which have sent emails saying they got my applications

Members don't see this ad :)
No one interested in Australia or NZ? ;)

Abou, I just wanted to ask when you heard back from Glasgow. It's my top choice and I'm on the edge of my seat! Thanks, and good luck with your interview.

I applied to Edinburgh, Guelph and PEI.

Abou, I just wanted to ask when you heard back from Glasgow. It's my top choice and I'm on the edge of my seat! Thanks, and good luck with your interview.
I turned in my VMCAS Sept. 24 and heard from just this Wednesday. So that makes it little over a month. And thanks, I hope to rock the interview, but that is about four months away!

Good luck, man, and hope the word is good.:thumbup:

I'm interested in Guelph, but I won't be applying for a few years yet. And, I'm a Canadian citizen, so I'd have to live in Ont. for a year before I can even apply. :(

No one interested in Australia or NZ? ;)

I'm interested in Melbourne and Sydney, however I'll be applying next year for fall of '09.

Do they have the same deadlines as US schools? I'll still be doing a VMCAS application since I'll be applying to a couple of schools in the states. Will that application go to the AU schools now that they are accredited?

I have the 2008 version of the book "Veterinary Medical School Admissions Requirements" and it doesn't list ANY achools for Australia as fully accredited by the U.S. It only lists 4 from Canada, 1 from England, 2 from Scotland, and 1 from New Zealand.

Whats the deal?

I have the 2008 version of the book "Veterinary Medical School Admissions Requirements" and it doesn't list ANY achools for Australia as fully accredited by the U.S. It only lists 4 from Canada, 1 from England, 2 from Scotland, and 1 from New Zealand.

Whats the deal?

That's weird.. I don't know. However I know for a fact that:
Murdoch University (Perth)
Melbourne University (Melb)
and Sydney University (Syd) are accredited in the US and Canada. :thumbup: maybe you should email the editor and let them know they made a mistake. :)

The book from Purdue press only has listings for schools that participate in VMCAS but not all of the AVMA accredited schools. If you look on the AVMA's website you can get the full list. I bought that book a couple years ago too and expected information about other schools and was disappointed when I got it and saw no listing for any of the Oz schools. I called someone about the book and the misleading description and the person I talked to thought I was wrong at first but then when I started telling them about the schools that were not in the book they started to realize and then were apologetic. Then they said... well I guess this book only has information about AVMA accredited schools that participate in VMCAS. I can't remember who I called as it was over a year ago now.

The book from Purdue press only has listings for schools that participate in VMCAS but not all of the AVMA accredited schools. If you look on the AVMA's website you can get the full list. I bought that book a couple years ago too and expected information about other schools and was disappointed when I got it and saw no listing for any of the Oz schools. I called someone about the book and the misleading description and the person I talked to thought I was wrong at first but then when I started telling them about the schools that were not in the book they started to realize and then were apologetic. Then they said... well I guess this book only has information about AVMA accredited schools that participate in VMCAS. I can't remember who I called as it was over a year ago now.

Except I believe it has info on the 3 US schools that don't participate in VMCAS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Except I believe it has info on the 3 US schools that don't participate in VMCAS.

Well, don't worry, the three Australian schools mentioned are actually AVMA-accredited (you can call the AVMA and ask if you don't take their web site's word for it :) ). Melbourne just got accredited so it's not surprising they're not in the book. Don't know why Sydney and Murdoch aren't. The book's editors probably decided they needed to draw a line somewhere, or Sydney and Murdoch didn't get info back to them in time. Massey started participating in VMCAS last year.

Out of curiosity, which of the international schools allow students with Bachelor's degrees to place out of the full first year? I considered applying to Massey this year, but the additional semester it would take made me reconsider

Out of curiosity, which of the international schools allow students with Bachelor's degrees to place out of the full first year? I considered applying to Massey this year, but the additional semester it would take made me reconsider

I've heard Sydney and Murdoch, not sure about Melb. Email them and just ask. Probably the best way to get the most accurate information. :thumbup: Good luck

I've heard Sydney and Murdoch, not sure about Melb. Email them and just ask. Probably the best way to get the most accurate information. :thumbup: Good luck

I don't think Melbourne lets you miss out on the first year. The Vet degree is 4 years as compared to 5 for Murdoch and Sydney.

In Melbourne you have to do a year of basic science before you are able to do the Vet degree (so you wouldn't have to do this!).

For the most accurate information you need to check out the AVMA website which lists all AVMA accredited universities in the world. It also lists schools that are in the process of being accredited, such as Western University and the University of Calgary in Alberta. The new school in Canada received a letter of reasonable assurance. So I don't know if the charter class will have to take the ECVFG to become licensed or not. Pretty confusing.

I'm one of those non-traditional students who will be applying 5 years after finishing my undergrad in the US. I am interested in applying to the NZ and Austrailia schools, mostly because I'm currently living in Hong Kong. However, I'm not sure how these schools view non-traditional students. Anyone have any insights into this?

Just a word about accreditation... I was told at a Ross seminar that if your school gets accredited before you graduate that's all that matters. You will be graduating from an accredited school and subject to the same licensing as other US grads - and will not have to go the ECFVG or PAVE route. As the Ross guy put it... even if your school gets accredited the day before your graduation it "counts" for you.

handh02-

When I was at massey I felt firmly lower end of the age range for int'ls trying to get in. heck, for americans not there on semester abroad, I was probably one of the youngest. At the time I was 27. Anyone over about 20 is going to feel ancient on most of the campuses over there anyway. Most of the domestic students are, after all, 17-20.

They are, however, very accepting of older students (one I know was 40+) and it's probably easier to deal with if you know what you're getting into/ are older/ have lived more than 10 miles from mom and dad.

Actually, now that I think about it, most of the students I hear about going waaaay down south are late 20's to mid/late 30's.

Nobody manages to skip any time at Sydney that I'm aware of. You can get exempted from individual subjects, and I got exempted from a semester worth in total, but you still end up there for five years!

The new school in Canada received a letter of reasonable assurance. So I don't know if the charter class will have to take the ECVFG to become licensed or not. Pretty confusing.

No they will not. They will be considered graduates of an accredited school.

Nobody manages to skip any time at Sydney that I'm aware of. You can get exempted from individual subjects, and I got exempted from a semester worth in total, but you still end up there for five years!

But, from what I've heard your final year is basically just like a clinical internship anyhow and you don't feel like you're still in university.

I'm at the University of Glasgow now. I think it's a great school and the 5th year isn't a problem with me. We'll be in deep debt no matter what so 1 extra year isn't that bad. I would highly recommend applying to this school for any of those who are thinking of applying to schools abroad. The vet schools in the Uk have an excellant reputation.

The subjects for the first two years are anatomy, physiology, animal husbandry, and biochemistry. I'm pretty sure there isn't a way to skip the first year here. There was a rumor you could do that in Edinbaugh, but I don't think it's true.

The advantage of applying to one of the AVMA accredited schools listed above, even though more expensive, is that you can work in many different countries in the world. If you're considering traveling, it's an excellant choice.

And for those who applied and have already heard from Joyce concerning your interview, good luck! I was told after I had my interview that your chances of getting in are excellant(only if you have been elected for an interview already though).

Yep! Should be exactly like a clinical internship, just unpaid! I'm about to start in a week, very exciting! And slightly scary!!!
:):scared::)
But, from what I've heard your final year is basically just like a clinical internship anyhow and you don't feel like you're still in university.

I'm a final year at Glasgow now, and I know they don't traditionally let Americans skip a year. And believe me, I've known a lot of Americans who have failed first year and have had to repeat it! Edinburgh, however, does let many Americans skip one year as they are desperate to get the extra money American's bring to the school.

I wanted to apply to Montreal (my Bachelor's is in French), but they told me that you have to be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident to apply.

Can you apply to any of these schools now? I'm getting frustrated and I'm getting close to bailing out and going to Ross:scared:... but I'd be more than willing to submit an application somewhere else overseas if they have rolling admissions, also.

I just keep crossing my fingers that Ross gets accreditation. That would rock. I love the concept of getting done quickly and doing my last year of clinicals at a US school....

I applied to Guelph and PEI out of the US.

Does anyone know when these schools typically interview/accept?

I really like Guelph, but I recieved a letter from them earlier this year that says they start contacting in March and have interviews in the summer. I hope to have already decided on a school by then. Is it unheard of to call admissions and request an earlier date? I'm pretty sure they don't care that much about internationals...there are only about 5 or 6 in their class each year...

I also applied to PEI and Guelph (and was accepted at Edinburgh.) I got that same letter I think as you do ( but mine only mentioned interviews in March.) Hopefully they can let us know sooner rather than later!

Can you apply to any of these schools now? I'm getting frustrated and I'm getting close to bailing out and going to Ross:scared:... but I'd be more than willing to submit an application somewhere else overseas if they have rolling admissions, also.

I just keep crossing my fingers that Ross gets accreditation. That would rock. I love the concept of getting done quickly and doing my last year of clinicals at a US school....

I am pretty sure the Melbourne University has a rolling admissions. http://www.vet.unimelb.edu.au/

If you got accepted you would be starting at the end of February 2009 (along way away).

Do you speak fluent dutch? I think the deadline for Utrecht is sometime in the summer. But of course, it's 6 years, and you have to pass a test in/ on dutch, since it's the language they teach in...

OTOH, I hear living on a beach in some less expensive country, scamming tourists for beer/ food money is not a bad life. For a few years, anyway.

j.

A lot of people tell me I should consider applying to Ross. It seems to be a very popular choice, but I am not sure why if it is not accredited?

A lot of people tell me I should consider applying to Ross. It seems to be a very popular choice, but I am not sure why if it is not accredited?

I believe it is because they send their fourth years to American schools and don't have a full-service hospital. Not quite sure though.

I think they mean that Ross should be your "safety school," as it is easier to get in there. Their admissions website talks about looking past GPA/GRE and looking more at you as a person and blah blah blah. ;)

Anyway, besides being easier to get into, I've gotten the impression that Ross is a good school. I applied there, yes as a safety school, but also because I've heard really good things about it from two doctors I've worked with who went there. The one vet that I'm still working with (he wrote me my recommendation for Ross) only went there for a year before transferring to Tennessee, but he really liked it. He said that if he had it to do again, he would have liked to stay there for the duration, until the clinicals in the States. He's always telling me stories about when he was there. He also said that when he went back to St Kitts to visit a few years ago, they remembered him and were very friendly, even though it had been about 15 years.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about the accreditation thing. I think all you have to do is take an exam to be certified in the States. And if you don't want to do that, you could always start at Ross and try to transfer after the first year.

I've applied to Ross as well, and just had my interview this week. They seem pretty determined to become accredited and I believe AVMA is doing another site visit this year.

I think that there are lots of pros and cons with Ross, as with any other university. It certainly is a possibility.

One of the few bad things I have heard about Ross was regarding how well accepted the students actually are during clinicals. Not that they arnt fully prepared, just that they are joining in with classes of students that had been together for 3 years and they are kind of the outsiders.

Other than that I worked with a vet who graduated from Ross and he was definitely a good vet.

Hey guys I am currently a fourth year Californian at Murdoch University. There are many of us international students here from all over the world. All Australian schools do a rolling admissions from what I know. You can technically apply at any time. You can come chat to us at http://vetstudents.net

Hopefully we can answer your questions. Good luck!!!

For those of you considering Ross or St. Georges, there is newer program on Grand Cayman Island which is just off the coast of Miami. I have already been accepted there as my safety school and while the program is newer, they have an established medical school program there that I hear is very good. I chose SMU based on cost, location and because they really support licensed vet techs who want to become vets, which unfortunately Im finding out is actually a negative when applying to some US schools. They are listed with the AVMA which means when you graduate you can use the PAVE or the ECFVG program to become licensed in the US. The program is 2 years (7 semesters-4 months each) on the island and then 3 semesters in a US AVMA accredited vet school for clinicals. Currently they participate with the following schools for clinicials: North Carolina State University; Purdue University; University of Florida;University of Illinois; University of Pennsylvania and University of Minnesota. They have rolling admissions with 3 start dates per year. Im starting May 08.

Heres the link:
http://www.stmatthews.edu/school-of-veterinary-medicine.html

I applied to Guelph and PEI out of the US.

Does anyone know when these schools typically interview/accept?

I really like Guelph, but I recieved a letter from them earlier this year that says they start contacting in March and have interviews in the summer. I hope to have already decided on a school by then. Is it unheard of to call admissions and request an earlier date? I'm pretty sure they don't care that much about internationals...there are only about 5 or 6 in their class each year...

Hey guys,
about Guelph -- look on the website about dates around admissions. Everything is done very late.. I believe interviews are in June or even July, so that's the chance you have to take if you want to go there.
I'm from Ontario, but didn't finish my apps to Guelph because I found out I was accepted to RVC in London before they were due..
Just make sure you absolutely have the right pre-reqs before you spend the money in applying. Guelph is very strict, so make sure you actually take the time to email admissions your pre-reqs... it seems weird, but trust me, they're insanely picky!!

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions...
good luck!:luck: