avg/good step 1 score vs. poor class rank

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thegingerbreadm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am just curious how much impact a poor class rank (avg grades) will have on my application for radiation oncology if I have a step I score > 230? I am not asking necessarily for my chances, but I guess I am a little self-conscious since I know most ppl are typically very strong applicants academically. I know it obviously will not elevate my status, but will it bring it down?

Members don't see this ad.

"Poor" class rank is a rather subjective criteria. Most schools tend to lump students into bins like "top 10%", "top 30%", "top 50%", "top 80%", etc. I am not sure what programs are looking for but having an idea where you fit in the binning process would be more relevant.

Hey, thanks for the replies. I am definitely aware that most rad onc applicants are pretty stellar and have boards scores way higher than my own. I am in the bottom half of the class and just wanted to know if that would hold me back from getting interviews if the rest of my application was "good"?

In all honesty, someone like myself is aiming for lower-tier to mid-tier programs at best..i'll be lucky just to match this year!

Keep in mind that while class rank and USMLE scores may be very important in other fields, they may not be as important in rad onc IMHO based on what I've seen.

Someone in the middle of the class with a 225 a plethora of rad onc research and good LORs from well-known rad onc faculty will be on much more solid footing than someone who is junior AOA with a Step I score of 280.